cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dangerous Goods - where to store Water Capacity W/C?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello everyone,

I have a special question regarding a requirement from Autralia:

where do you have to store the W/C "Water Capacity" in the DG Master?

To give an example: the water capacity is how much water a gas bottle will hold in pounds. The "WC" stamped on the bottle followed by a number such as "47.6" means the bottle will hold 47.6 pounds of water.

So, what are the fields in table DGTMD to store this? Or is it another table? What is the correct screen/tab in DGP2 to store this?

Thank you in advance for your support!

Best regards,

Christoph

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello everybody,

the Water Capacity basically describes how many of a substance can be filled into a means of containment.

This definition is taken from the ADR regulation:

"Nominal capacity of the receptacle" means the nominal volume of the dangerous substance contained in the receptacle expressed in litres. For compressed gas cylinders the nominal capacity shall be the water capacity of the cylinder.

So the term "water capacity" means the volume of a gas enclosure (bottle).

While this water capacity is a value valid to an enclosure it does not appear within the property tree(s) related to substances. Even the DG Master (DGTMD) does not and cannot carry a water capacity, for the DG Master contains the legal Dangerous Goods data valid to a substance (or mixture, formulation - any dangerous good) without taking the particular enclosure and packaging method into account.

The appropriate storage place for the water capacity is within the data valid to the enclosure (in this case the gas bottle), which is most likely the Material Master (MARA).

If you have more questions on this then please let me know.

Best regards

Klaus

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

christoph_bergemann
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello Christoph

I am now using EH&S for a long time. Nobody which I know has asked in the past years such a demand. And it is not clear if this is really DG related. Frankly: I do not know the most recent property tree but actually a could not provide you a property to maintain this data (and data on a bottle (label on the bottle) need to to be always DG data but could be PS data as well)

Which regulation are we talking about? Could you please provide name etc.

With best regads

C.B.

Edited by: Christoph Bergemann on Nov 30, 2010 9:07 PM

Just found this link:

http://www.austlii.edu.au/au/legis/act/num_reg/dgtr201012o2010474/notes.html

Very interesting indeed... I was not able to find the value you cited but different values, after a short survey this would be my "interpretation":

a.) we are talking mainly about what is allowed or not. in some sense; this is common in ADR etc. too. That means if the tank used does have a capacity lower (or upper) than ... the transport is allowed or not (in most cases you have excemptions that means it is allowed; and only if you are transopoirt in tanks with higher volumes it is allowed)

As a "reference" the DG australia regulation has used (by whatsoever reason) the "water" as the "reference material". So my interpreation would be again: if you could fill in the tank not more e.g. 1000 l water (assuming 20 °C etc.) and now you use e.g. aceton to fill the tank this would be allowed or not;

The same structzre is used in ADR. I am sorry. Please check the original SAP property tree: I believe there could be a "special" property inside to take care regarding these excemptions, but there are different techniques to take care of them too (in EHS PS as well as DG). Once again: please check your SAP release. DG is enhanced by time (using SPs etc.) and my assumption is that the DG master could have been enlarged to support this topic.

PPS: With Enh. PAck 3 + 5 DG enhancements are delivered (or will be delivered because ramp up of Enh. Pack 5 starts december 2010

Edited by: Christoph Bergemann on Nov 30, 2010 9:09 PM

Edited by: Christoph Bergemann on Nov 30, 2010 9:14 PM

Edited by: Christoph Bergemann on Nov 30, 2010 9:21 PM

Edited by: Christoph Bergemann on Nov 30, 2010 9:21 PM

Edited by: Christoph Bergemann on Nov 30, 2010 9:22 PM

Edited by: Christoph Bergemann on Nov 30, 2010 9:22 PM

Edited by: Christoph Bergemann on Nov 30, 2010 9:23 PM

Edited by: Christoph Bergemann on Nov 30, 2010 9:23 PM

Edited by: Christoph Bergemann on Nov 30, 2010 9:24 PM

Edited by: Christoph Bergemann on Nov 30, 2010 9:25 PM

Edited by: Christoph Bergemann on Jun 15, 2011 1:02 PM