cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The keycode assembly, BusinessObjects.Licensing.KeycodeDecoder.dll, cannot

Former Member
0 Kudos

Error:

The description for Event ID 4353 from source Crystal Reports cannot be found. Either the component that raises this event is not installed on your local computer or the installation is corrupted. You can install or repair the component on the local computer.

If the event originated on another computer, the display information had to be saved with the event.

The following information was included with the event:

The keycode assembly, BusinessObjects.Licensing.KeycodeDecoder.dll, cannot be loaded.

the message resource is present but the message is not found in the string/message table

This error comes on production machine anytime I am trying to run aspx page with Crystal Report viewer 13.0.2000.0

aspx web page has only Crystal Report Viewer control. Report is being populated dynamically. I am using my own developed DLL that has two types to provide functionality such as:

-Set report name, Database Name, Server name and etc

-Add parameters

-Clear parameters

-Function which returns CrystalDecisions.CrystalReports.Engine.ReportDocumnet

This is the final line to displya report.

this.CrystalReportViewer1.ReportSource = _crViewer.GenerateReport();

1. Report Development Environment:

Report was developed using Crystal Report 2008 SP2

2. Production Server:

MS Server 2008 Standard Edition 32 bit running on VMware VShere Version 4.0

IIS 7.0

Application Pool running under NetworkService identity

.NET Framework 3.0

.Net Framework 3.5 SP1

.NET Framework 4.0 Client

.NET Framework 4.0 Extended

Microsoft FrontPage Server Extension 2002 for Windows Server 2008

SAP Crystal Reports runtime engine for .NET Framework 4(32bit)

Previous Crystal Reports Runtime u2013 Crystal Reports Basic for Visual Studio 2008 has been uninstalled using Revo Uninstall that deletes all leftover folders and registry entries.

[http://download.cnet.com/Revo-Uninstaller/3000-2096_4-10687648.html]

No problem running Crystal Reports from development machine from Visual Studio 2010 (ASP .NET development Server)

2.Development machine:

Windows XP SP3

Visual Studio 2005

Visual Studio 2008

Visual Studio 2010

Crystal Reports 2008 SP2

Crystal Reports 2008 Runtime SP2

Crystal Reports Basic for Visual Studio 2008

.NET Framework 3.0 SP2

.Net Framework 3.5 SP1

.NET Framework 4.0 Client

.NET Framework 4.0 Extended

I spent 3 days trying to resolve this error reading some posts.

I did not try to develop my sample report using VS Studio 2010 environment and open this report from my Web page.

All reports have been developed using Crystal Reports 2008 SP2.

I do not think this is an issue.

Only solution I have right now, go back to Visual Studio 2008 with Crystal Runtime 10.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Edited by: Serghei Timotin on Dec 14, 2010 9:48 PM

Edited by: Serghei Timotin on Dec 14, 2010 10:00 PM

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

former_member183750
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

This is a known issue, well documented in this forum along with a tracking number for QA as well as an explanation;

This error / warning does not impact the functioning of the application.

The issue will be resolved in SP1. Current ETA; End of February.

Hope this helps,

Ludek

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thank you for your quick reply.

What do you mean saying

"This error / warning does not impact the functioning of the application".

The final report in my case is not being displayed at all. The WEB browser waiting cursor is continuously running without giving any result.

In this case I have to wait till SP1 will be released in February and after I will try to accommodate my code to the latest Crystal Report runtime.

Thank you.

former_member183750
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

The two are not related issues. Waiting for SP 1 will not resolve your actual issue as the BusinessObjects.Licensing.KeycodeDecoder.dll error has nothing to do with the WEB browser waiting cursor continuously running.

In a nut shell, think of this way; The right blinker does not work on your car (all other electrical systems are good). You can not start the car. The non working blinker is more than likely not the cause of the car not starting...

I'd suggest using [Fiddler|http://www.fiddlertool.com/fiddler/] or [Charles|http://www.charlesproxy.com/] to race down what is happening with the HTTP response.

Ludek

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thank you for your reply.

I like your close analogy between cars and software.

I could use the fiddler web debugging software to get HTTP response, but in my case I used Event Viewer in order to get the error description. In case of continuously running cursor, I am using the wrapper DLL to get any reports. I have to investigate why the error is being thrown by wrapper dll and is not being displayed on the report web page.

Also, to confirm the same error I followed the next steps:

1. WEB project has been created. Very simple. It has only one default aspx page.

2. Crystal report viewer control has been placed on default aspx page.

3. The same crystal report (I was trying to open using wrapper dll) has been connected to the Crystal report viewer from step 2.

4. 'Error to display report' on report viewer control. Keycode assembly error in Event Viewer.

My database is iSeries database.

This means the wrapper dll I developed does not cause the error.

The non working blinker is more than likely not the cause of the car not starting... Yes, I agree.

The dead battery on your car simply puts all other components in non-working condition.

Just change the car battery and you can start your car again and the right blinker will work.

I am still waiting for Crystal Report SP1.

Serghei

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Ludek,

What is the Status of SP1 for CR for VS 2010? It was due for release at the end of February.

Regards,

Nigel

former_member183750
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Check the 1st sticky post on this web page...

- Ludek

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Nigel,

Here is the link to the Crystal Report for Visual Studio 2010 SP1

[http://www.sdn.sap.com/irj/sdn/crystalreports-dotnet?rid=/webcontent/uuid/5072b9d3-b530-2e10-b191-ff2fe6d395de] [original link is broken];

Serghei

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

How you can state that this has been fixed in service pack 1 is beyond me.

First of all, when I downloaded crystal reports for visual studio 2010, it was giving me an error invalid key code. I went in and checked the HELP->ABOUT VISUAL STUDIO and Crystal Reports 4.0 has NO KEYCODE.

The viewer was version 14, my web config had references to version 13... I donwloaded the crystal reports SP1 again, and set everything to version 13. I was able to get it to work on my local machine. Deploying it has been a nightmare...

I followed everything to the letter, added the merge module CRRuntime_13_0.msm, Primary output, content files, etc.... My application runs on the webserver. When the button to display the crystal report is clicked, nothing is displayed.

I look in the event viewer and have the following:

The description for Event ID 4353 from source Crystal Reports cannot be found. Either the component that raises this event is not installed on your local computer or the installation is corrupted. You can install or repair the component on the local computer.

If the event originated on another computer, the display information had to be saved with the event.

The following information was included with the event: The keycode assembly, BusinessObjects.Licensing.KeycodeDecoder.dll, cannot be loaded. the message resource is present but the message is not found in the string/message table

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Jack,

First of all, I am not sure why you have Crystal Reports 4.0 when you go to HELP->ABOUT VISUAL STUDIO in Visual Studio 2010.

I have Crystal Reports for .NET Framework 4.0. This is my work machine - Windows XP SP3.

At home I have Windows 7 OS and if I open HELP->ABOUT VISUAL STUDIO, it says Crystal Reports for Visual Studio 2010 or Crystal Reports 2010 for Visual Studio. I do not remember exactly, but definitely there is no Crystal Reports 4.0.

Secondly, I am not using merge modules when it comes to Crystal Report distribution.

Instead, I am using CRRuntime_32bit_13_0_1.msi (SP1). Just run this msi on the server where you host you ASP.NET pages.

Or make sure you are using the correct version of the merge modules. CRRuntime_13_0.msm merge module IS NOT SP1.

The correct version is CRRuntime_13_0_1.msm

On Visual studio 2010 toolbox under reporting tab you should have CrystalReportViewer control version 13.0.2000.0

See if these help you to resolve the issue you are having.

For less headache, get a clean Windows install with Visual Studio 2010 and Crystal Report for Visual Studio 2010 SP1 (CRforVS_13_0_1.exe).

For some reasons, if you need Visual Studio 2008, get a second PC or laptop and install it along with Crystal Report runtime 10.5.3700.0.

In my case, I have my laptop with Visual Studio 2008, Crystal Reports 2008 SP2, Crystal Report Basic for Visual Studio 2008(10.5.0.0). I am using Crystal Reports 2008 for the report development, not MS Visual Studio environment.

Unfortunately, 13.0.2000.0 runtime of Crystal Runtime cannot coexist with 10.5.3700.0 on the same machine.

Also you can use revosetup tool to run clean uninstall for any programs on your machine.

Serghei.

former_member183750
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

You've got something pretty messed up on that box.

I'd start with removing any traces of CRVS2010, beta 1, beat 2 and release. Follow the instructions in KB [1535325 - How to remove CRVS2010 Beta 2|http://www.sdn.sap.com/irj/servlet/prt/portal/prtroot/com.sap.km.cm.docs/oss_notes_boj/sdn_oss_boj_bi/sap(bD1lbiZjPTAwMQ==)/bc/bsp/spn/scn_bosap/notes%7B6163636573733d36393736354636443646363436353344333933393338323636393736354637333631373036453646373436353733354636453735364436323635373233443330333033303331333533333335333333323335%7D.do]

The do a repair on your VS2010 install.

Do a new download of CRVS2010 SP1:

[original link is broken]

Install CRVS2010. All assemblies in CRVS2010 SP1 are version 13.x as are most dlls (there are a few exceptions, but do not cause any issues - certainly not re KeycodeDecoder).

Oh, and this is assuming that you are a version SKU of VS2010 higher than Standard...

- Ludek

Former Member
0 Kudos

Sorry the 4.0 was .Net 4.0 runtime. I have all my references to Crystal Reports 13... I have downloaded the complete package, service pack 1, and just about every thing else. I just deleted Crystal reports yet again, and am going to reinstall the service pack 1 for visual studio. My .Net app has the correct references in it for Crystal Report 13, and I never had version 10.

Originally when I downloaded Crystal Reports for Visual Studio, the crystal viewer was 14, and that was a problem as my web config file had references in in for 13 and 14... I cleaned that up a while ago, created the merge module and deployed. I get the runtime error 4353 on the server I deployed it to... As I said, I just uninstalled crystal, and will reinstall with the service pack. I am not sure if I should use the same .msm file as before.

I am about to go to bed, its 1:25 am here, but will try it in the morning. I will report back after that process is completed when I wake up.

This has been going on for weeks, I am exhausted, and its not a good scene at work. Hopefully this will be resolved today

Former Member
0 Kudos

I reinstalled service pack 1 and used CRRuntime_13_0.msm in the deployment package

The report still not displaying on the web server: This is the same error as before:

The keycode assembly, BusinessObjects.Licensing.KeycodeDecoder.dll, cannot be loaded.

former_member183750
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Ok. So now you it looks to me like you have SP 1 on the dev box, what about the runtime box? E.g.; you're deploying the old runtime(?):

CRRuntime_13_0.msm

Download SP 1 runtime

Uninstall CRRuntime_13_0.msm

install SP1 runtime:

[MSM|http://downloads.businessobjects.com/akdlm/cr4vs2010/CRforVS_mergemodules_13_0_1.zip]

[MSI 32 bit|http://downloads.businessobjects.com/akdlm/cr4vs2010/CRforVS_redist_install_32bit_13_0_1.zip]

[MSI 64 bit|http://downloads.businessobjects.com/akdlm/cr4vs2010/CRforVS_redist_install_64bit_13_0_1.zip]

- Ludek

Former Member
0 Kudos

>

> I reinstalled service pack 1 and used CRRuntime_13_0.msm in the deployment package

>

> The report still not displaying on the web server: This is the same error as before:

> The keycode assembly, BusinessObjects.Licensing.KeycodeDecoder.dll, cannot be loaded.

Hello,

As I stated earlier, CRRuntime_13_0.msm is not Crystal Reports 2010 SP1 merge module.

You have to use CRRuntime_13_1.msm.

Here is the link.

[http://www.sdn.sap.com/irj/sdn/crystalreports-dotnet?rid=/webcontent/uuid/5072b9d3-b530-2e10-b191-ff2fe6d395de] [original link is broken];

Serghei.

Former Member
0 Kudos

OK, did all that. Even removed all references to previous crystal by using Regedit on my dev box. This caused windows to break, and had to reinstall clean. I deployed the latest sp1, CRRuntime_13_0_1.msm, and CRRuntime_32bit_13_0_1.msi all on the server.

I no longer get any error messages in the event viewer, but still no report is displayed on the web server. Everything i have done has lead me down a path to nowhere. You guys have been somewhat helpful, but some others have this nasty condescending attitude for not doing this or that, meanwhile everthing I got has been from you site, the merge modules, etc.

The problems that you fixed in service pack 1, and what and how to deploy on the local machine and the webserver are NOT WELL ARTICULATED.... That is the major breakdown in communication that is going on.

I am at my wits end with this, and probably going to lose my job as I am getting blamed, meanwhile this whole thing has been a disaster...

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Jack,

I understand you frustration and all disappointments that you are having, especially when you have to deliver the solution. I was in the same situation last month. Do not worry because is always light at the end of the tunnel.

1. I am not sure why did you decide to modify the registry. This is the last thing you usually do.

[Here is the link to the Revo uninstaller program|http://download.cnet.com/Revo-Uninstaller/3000-2096_4-10687648.html]

Use it to uninstall all Crystal report runtimes and all msm files.

The program will delete all registry settings, leftover folders and files.

Install CRRuntime_32bit_13_0_1.msi only on you server.

2. You did not tell us about your project type. ASP.NET forms, Windows Forms, or WFP.

I am assuming this is ASP.NET project you are working on; make sure that you have two folders under

C:\inetpub\wwwroot\aspnet_client\system_web

2_0_50727 - .NET 2.0 Framework

4_0_30319 - .NET 4.0 Framework

Each of these folders has to have another folder crystalreportviewers13

Important points:

a. You do not to deal with .msm files if you already installed CRRuntime_32bit_13_0_1.msi.

I am not sure what the reason you deployed both is. All you need to run CRRuntime_32bit_13_0_1.msi on the same machine where IIS resides.

b. Copy all files and folders except ActiveXControls folder from

C:\Program Files\SAP BusinessObjects\Crystal Reports for .NET Framework 4.0\Common\Crystal Reports 2011\crystalreportviewers

To

C:\inetpub\wwwroot\aspnet_client\system_web\4_0_30319\crystalreportviewers13

C:\inetpub\wwwroot\aspnet_client\system_web\2_0_50727\crystalreportviewers13

Note: If you cannot delete any folders or files from these locations stop IIS server.

Do not forget to start it later.

c. If your website folder is not located under the root of the wwwroot folder add the virtual directory to you web site.

Alias: aspnet_client

Physical Path: C:\inetpub\wwwroot\aspnet_client

If you do not have IIS administrator who can help you to manage your web site (my situation), create your website under

C:\inetpub\wwwroot u2013 you do not need to perform step u2018cu2019

C:\inetpub\wwwroot\YourWebSite folder u2013 add the virtual directory described in step u2018cu2019.

d. Do not create you web site somewhere else because you have to deal with permissions, file and folders access and authorization.

3. You can always use the back door. Go back to Visual Studio 2008 and use Crystal runtime 10.5

The actual file name runtime is CRRedist2008_x86.msi

This version is more stable and there is no difference in performance.

At the end you get the same result.

Please let me know how it goes

Serghei

Former Member
0 Kudos

However the keycode DLL is still missing. Please see http://scn.sap.com/thread/2153539

Former Member
0 Kudos

There is now a permanent fix in the latest Sandcastle to process Dot Net projects that include Crystal Reports - please see the post http://geekswithblogs.net/TATWORTH/archive/2012/10/12/sandcastle-help-file-builder---october-2010-re...

The latest Sandcastle download is at http://shfb.codeplex.com/releases/view/92191