cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Setting up KM reporsitories in DBFS mode

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi All,

Thank you for your support for my previous questions.

I need to set up the KM CM repositories in DBFS mode. I had this earlier in DB mode. I came to know i can migrate the documents from DB mode to DBFS mode using content crawler report.

I need some clarification before i start up with the process.

1. Is there any links/articles or Blog for setting up in DBFS a step by step approach.

2. In addition to content crawler report, is there any additional steps to do like Indexing..

3. When the contents are migrated from DB mode, does the actual content is moving to file system or a copy is done? Does the DB size will reduce after that?

This questions will help a lot for proceeding in changing the persistence. As reverse conversion is not possible, some detailed preparation will help me.

thanks,

Senthilkumar

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos
Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Mikhail,

thanks for your reply.

I already gone through the link what you have shown here.

My doubt is, does the Content crawler moves the content or copy the content from DB peristence to DBFS peristence.

and, As of now the repostiory i am using is room extensions. I believe this is not an internal repository. So i can change the persistence of this repository i believe. Am i right here?

would you have some information on additional tasks too like

does indexing needed? or any additional tasks needed after content crawler report execution.

thanks,

Senthilkumar

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Senthilkumar,

My doubt is, does the Content crawler moves the content or copy the content from DB persistence to DBFS persistence

It moves files (documents) to file system, folders remain in DB.

So i can change the persistence of this repository i believe. Am i right here?

As always it is better to make a full backup and test the changes in QA.

Another option to consider, and probably the best depending on your case, is to duplicate the repository, adjust its parameters and use it for new rooms. You may refer to the blog [Collaboration room that uses file system as storage place|http://www.sdn.sap.com/irj/scn/weblogs?blog=/pub/wlg/6594], it is about FSDB mode, but the principals are the same. This way is safest and error free in terms of a possibility of parameters overwriting during portal's updates.

Best regards,

Aliaksandr Zhukau

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Aliaksandr Zhukau,

Thanks for your valuable reply.

for Content crawler report, its clear now.

And for the duplication of repository, I have looked into the link you shared.

Could you explain little more on duplication?

My situation is, We have room extension CM repository with DB persistence. At the moment, we have around 400 cRooms and 4000 documents. We expect there will be a huge increase in the number upto 40-50000 documents atleast. So changing or redesigning some architecture related things makes sense to do in this stage itself.

Ok, if i am moving, then all the 4000 documents will move to filesystem and the new documents will be also saved here. i need to maintain 2 folders for root directory and root directory for versions. this is one possibility now.

for the duplication, you want me to do the following steps.

1. Taking the backup of existing database and use it in repository.

2. Change the persistence and execute the content crawler report or you want me to configure a different CM repository with different cRoom templates and CM stores. So that all the new content will be stored in the file system then.

Am i right? could you please explain little detail on the same.

Thank you for your valuable reply and your suggestions. these are really good alternatives and also as a back up plan.

thanks,

Senthilkumar

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Senthilkumar,

I am trying to paraphrase:

First option is to backup db and test the change of a persistence mode in QA. But I do not recommend changing the persistence mode of any repository manager from SAP standard delivery (refer to SAP Note 927146).

Second option is the usage of an additional repository in DBFS or FSDB mode for new rooms.

We have room extension CM repository with DB persistence. At the moment, we have around 400 cRooms and 4000 documents. We expect there will be a huge increase in the number up to 40-50000 documents at least.

What is the average size of documents? If it less then 15-20 Mb and documents mostly of office types (doc,xsl,ppt, etc.) it is better to stay with DB persistence mode. Also check [How Tou2026 Tune the Performance of Knowledge Management|http://www.sdn.sap.com/irj/scn/index?rid=/library/uuid/002fb447-d670-2910-67a5-bfbbf0bb287d].

Best regards,

Aliaksandr Zhukau

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Aliaksandr Zhukau,

thanks for your continuous support.

The average file size will be less then 15MB only. In DB persistence, does it advisable to store around 50 K or more documents?

As per SAP recommendations for larget quantity, DBFS should be used right.

1. Does the room extension CM comes under SAP standard delivery? If so, then its not advisable to use the standard repositories right. We should make a copy and use the same. Am i right?

the only problem i see is, already around 400 rooms are created and still another 2000 rooms will be created. We can have another repository for these new rooms (Say DBFS). What about old 400 rooms? If we try to convert that after sometime, we will run into some inconsistencies right?

Please let me know your suggestions. I will quickly check the links and get back you at the earliest.

Thanks,

Senthilkumar

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Senthilkumar,

Sorry for a late reply.

In DB persistence, does it advisable to store around 50 K or more documents?

I know only one restriction recommendation for DB mode regarding an amount of documents: do not store more than 1000 files in a single folder. According to Note 900571 DBFS and DB do not restrict the maximum amount of the resources (Folders, documents).

As per SAP recommendations for larger quantity, DBFS should be used right.

It is not correct. The DBFS mode is faster than the database mode if you have large documents. But if there is a large number of write requests in your CM usage scenario, I believe it is true due to the nature of Collaboration Rooms, set up the CM repository in database mode (refer to [CM Repository Manager|http://help.sap.com/saphelp_nw70/helpdata/EN/62/468698a8e611d5993600508b6b8b11/frameset.htm]).

Does the room extension CM comes under SAP standard delivery?

Yes, for sure.

What about old 400 rooms?

If you decide to use DBFS for new rooms, I suggest analyzing the current and possible usage of old rooms in short-term future at first. Maybe some of them are subject for removal and you may leave the rest as is.

Best regards,

Aliaksandr Zhukau

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Aliaksandr Zhukau ,

thank you for your experienced answers.

Regarding the document size, i am not sure how much they plan to have. the estimation is going on still.

however first thing i need to do while changing is, to use different repository from the SAP standard one.

And based on size of a file, i will take up the call for DBFS.

and surely as you mentioned, first i will try with existing 400 rooms and how it works. I believe if i am changing it still all the link and reference links will work in new persistence.

Thank you for your best efforts. It is really helpful.

Regards,

Senthilkumar

Answers (0)