Application Development Discussions
Join the discussions or start your own on all things application development, including tools and APIs, programming models, and keeping your skills sharp.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why is BSEG a cluster table

Former Member
0 Kudos

I wanted to know why BSEG is a cluster table.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Former Member

Many years ago I was told that it was due to an Oracle limitation. Oracle could only handle a certain number of columns in a single table, but BSEG was wider. SAP had to find a way to put more columns into a table and came up with this way.

Rob

9 REPLIES 9

Former Member
0 Kudos

hi,

the basic logic behind why BSEG is cluster is,

several lines from different tables such as BSIS, BSID, BSAK etc are combined in a single record and has a long fields.

Regards,

sirisha

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi

the cluster table is a database table in which several tables are collected.

BSEG is based on cluster table RFBLG: it's also used for following tables:

BSEC

BSED

BSES

BSET

In this way you can have several tables with only one real database table: that means if it needs several tables having the same data but a different structure, they can be collected in only one table (the cluster)

Max

SuhaSaha
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Hello,

I has the same question long time back.

If you check BSEG belongs to the table cluster 'RFBLG'. Other tables belonging to this cluster are: BSEC, BSED, BSES, BSET. The data in the table cluster is stored in "compressed" RAW format at the database level.

May be there is some other reason. Anyway watching this space for some interesting responses.

BR,

Suhas

Former Member
0 Kudos

I think it's way to improve the database manage

Several objects having the same informations point to the same space of the database (the cluster), probably it can be good solution in order to avoid the data redundancy.

Max

Former Member

Many years ago I was told that it was due to an Oracle limitation. Oracle could only handle a certain number of columns in a single table, but BSEG was wider. SAP had to find a way to put more columns into a table and came up with this way.

Rob

0 Kudos

Right, Rob, and in addition, at one time SAP lore is that SAP reportedly required more tables than DBMS supported, thus use of cluster and pool...

0 Kudos

Hmmmm.... hadn't heard that one before.

Rob

Former Member
0 Kudos

From SAP R/3 Handbook:

"SAP recommends that tables of pool or cluster type be used exclusively for control information such as

program parameters, documentation, and so on. Transaction and application data should be stored in

transparent tables".

Therefore, question is reasonable.

But i've heard BSEG was implemented as a cluster for security reasons.

Former Member
0 Kudos

What I've heard is almost the same others have posted. BSEG contains all the information that is distribuited in different tables like BSAK, BSIK, BSAS, BSIS, BSAD, BSID...

BSEG is a cluster table that only exists in application level, it's like a logic table.

I guess other way it would be very hard to handle because of all the information it contains.

Edited by: PadawanGirl on Jan 31, 2011 8:33 PM