cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Smartforms or Adobe Interactive Forms?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Folks,

my client currently are beginning the decision making process to replace all of their current Jetform based SAP printing solution to a newer more stable solution - and they are interested in the possible options available.

Note that this is a major project as we have to migrate all documents (invoices, orders, POs, account statements etc) defined in multi languages and versions. Currently we are running SAP4.6C - but there is the possibility of an upgrade in the near future too.

To me the most stable alternative right now appears to be SAP smartforms - as this is a tried, proven and well integrated technology. Now I read here about the possibilities offered by Adobe interactive forms - and that from 6.40 onwards they will be integrated into the ABAP workbench. It is not clear to me though if Adobe interactive forms are intended to replace Smartforms or if they are merely an alternative approach - and what the pros and cons are of each technique.

Also it is not clear to me how well Adobe forms can be integrated with standard NAST table style output control - is it possible to integrate adobe forms to the standard output control?

What we are really concerned with is that we spend a lot of effort migrating to Smartforms only to find out that it is yesterdays technology and that we subsequently have to remigrate to Adobe interactive forms...

Can anyone there at SAP or on SDN provide any advice as to the pros and cons of the Smartform solution when compared with Adobe interactive forms, and any advice you can offer as to which solution to opt for in our migration project?

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

markus_meisl
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Julian,

it sounds to me that all your current forms are output forms (for printing, faxing, e-mailing, etc.) i.e. non-interactive.

Interactive Forms based on Adobe software is SAP's new solution for forms development. Its first release has the focus on interactive use of forms. High-volume printing is supported in principle, but - being a new solution - the performance has not yet reached the same level as Smart Forms or SAPscript, two established solutions that had years to grow. Interactive Forms is the only solution that will continue to be enhanced with new features, while SAPscript and Smart Forms will be supported without limitations.

When (or if) to move to Interactive Forms depends on your requirements. For interactive forms usage, i.e. the new functions, you have no choice, as the existing solutions don't support it. High-volume print scenarios need to be carefully analyzed to see whether your concrete requirements can be met at this point.

However, it is possible to move to Smart Forms and design your forms in such a way that a migration at any point in the future would be but a small step. Smart Forms offers from Web AS 6.40 a migration wizard to Interactive Forms. Technically, everything can be migrated, but we recommend against things like ABAP program nodes, for example.

You are not forced to ever go to Interactive Forms if you don't want to. It really depends on whether your client needs any of the new features in Interactive Forms. Also, if they are currently working with JetForms, they could enquire with Adobe directly what migration path they offer to the joint solution.

Hope this helps.

Best regards,

Markus Meisl

SAP NetWeaver Product Management

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I want to understand how the SAP Print programs will change based on whether we use Adobe or Smart forms. Will the existing program will work as it is for an adobe form?

Where can I get some kind of architecture diaram explaining the whole process - particularly with respect to interactive forms?

Thanks.

markus_meisl
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

In essence, your Smart Forms print program changes only in that it needs to call an Interactive Form instead of a Smart Form using the generated function module for the Interactive Form. SAP tried as much as possible to keep the Smart Forms principles in how the forms are handled.

I suggest you read the Interactive Forms documentation in detail, it should really be explained there.

For example for SPS 14 of SAP NetWeaver '04: http://help.sap.com/saphelp_nw04/helpdata/en/d2/4a94696de6429cada345c12098b009/frameset.htm

To my knowledge, there is no comparison of the two solutions.

Kind regards,

Markus

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks. Sorry for coming back later.

I am able to write a totally new print program which can call the FM generated by the Adobe forms created. It works fine.

My question is about calling the Adobe forms from standard SAP applicatios like purchasing where we give the print program and form name (in SPRO). Will it work if I give the new ADOBE form name and print program?

Thanks in advance.

markus_meisl
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

It is impossible to make a blanket statement on what needs to be done in each of the applications using a form for output. Despite the same underlying technology, forms handling has always been a decision for each SAP application: Some do it through customizing, some through coding, some in yet anither way.

What I CAN say from a technology pespective is that all applications are in the process of creating their forms based on Interactive Forms so that by 2007 pretty much all SAP forms will be PDF-based. Obviously, each application does it within the framework of their application - but they all use Interactive Forms.

By the way, be aware that in ERP 2004 this forms solution is subject to a limitation for high-volume printing scenarios as we cannot ensure that ALL customers will be content with the performance in ALL scenarios with this release. (see SAP Note 863893).

Cheers,

Markus

Answers (0)