Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Material Revision level and their use

lawrei99
Participant
0 Kudos

Hello ,

Business is looking to setup material with their revision level which flows to all the process of Logistics management .

I understand that Material can revision level which can be displayed in Material Master .

Business is already following the ECM where changes are being carried and then assigned to Material master.

Please clarify the following namely

1. When does Revision level shows up in Material master & what screen .

2. Whether the Revision level is shown in all MM screens like - BOM / Md04 / PR / PO / MMBE where stocks will be monitored in terms of Revision level .

3. Validity dates of Revision and their affects in Material master

Regards,

Lawrei

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Petepall
Contributor

Hi Lawrei,

1. When does Revision level shows up in Material master & what screen .

A revision level is set for the material at client level, it's shown in almost all the views of the material master right under the material number. Setting a material revision level requires an ECM. From there you can also look at the previous material levels that have been assigned, when this was done and which ECM document was used. If an ECM has been established for increasing the revision level it can also be changed from here.

2. Whether the Revision level is shown in all MM screens like - BOM / Md04 / PR / PO / MMBE where stocks will be monitored in terms of Revision level .

The revision level is available in the BOM, MD04, PR, PO and SA however the stock is not segregated by revision level so in MMBE you will not see this revision level, nor will the stock be separated by revision level.

3. Validity dates of Revision and their effects in Material master

The activity date of the ECM manages when a change over from one to another revision is done. Please note that when the material level changes for the material master this has no impact on the created purchasing documents, these will still show the old revision level and would need to be changed manually is required.

The revision level also has an impact on the MRP calculation, when the new revision becomes active it will be shown in the MD04 screen. The newly created purchase requisitions or schedule lines that come after the effectivity date of the revision level change will carry the new revision level.

Hope this can put you on the right track.

Peter

lawrei99
Participant
0 Kudos

Thanks Peter for making it so clear and to the point .

So as per your comments above , I am assuming that A Material can have multiple Revision at Client level which shows up MM03 / BOM / MD04 / PR / PO except MMBE which is quite strange .

So that does mean , business can track the Material with latest version till the PO is created , but once it is received in Stock we don't have option to know which Revision the material has been received . And then how would Business know and decide which Material ( Revision ) to be used if they are required at same period in different process . For e.g if Mat X with Rev 1 had 20 stock and now the material X with Rev 2 has been ordered and have received 10 of that . How would the Inventory team Issue when Material X with Rev 1 is required .

Does that mean we need to make stock Zero of old Revision when new revision material becomes active .

Waiting for your response .

Regards,

Lawrei

Petepall
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Lawrei,

So as per your comments above , I am assuming that A Material can have multiple Revision at Client level which shows up MM03 / BOM / MD04 / PR / PO except MMBE which is quite strange .

A material can indeed have multiple revision levels assigned mostly in increasing sequence. Only one revision level can be the active revision level.

Does that mean we need to make stock Zero of old Revision when new revision material becomes active .

The business can track until the goods receipt is done, however at stock level inventory is not separated by revision level.

It could be that perhaps by enabling batch management that you could segregate stock by revision levels but I have not yet come across this.

Typically one uses revision levels for identifying changes to the material as long as these are not form fit or function changes. Once the form fit or function of a material changes one would assign a new material number. By following this logic the stock received would not be affected by the revision level change and thus stock between different revision could be used without issues. If remaining stock of the previous revision is not to be used any more or can only be restricted to certain applications then one could transfer this stock into either blocked stock and release the materials when these should be used for that specific application.

Regards,

lawrei99
Participant
0 Kudos

Thanks Peter for the response .

Right now the existing process is that Business does create new part whenever there is revision and then its being ordered with new part number , but then there are too many part # which is created . Also other pain is to know the stock level of old material and new material and use them in terms of planning . And this is what triggered to find the process of Revision for materials .

I have checked in MD04 and MIGO , Revision does not show up and its shows up in Material , PR , PO .

" Typically one uses revision levels for identifying changes to the material as long as these are not form fit or function changes. Once the form fit or function of a material changes one would assign a new material number. "

So does that mean when we have revisions of A material and its final , we create a new Material in the system to differentiate between those materials and that is how SAP recommends to do it .

Appreciate your time and response.

Lawrei

Petepall
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Lawrei,

Again the general recommendation is that when stock needs to be separated and batch management is not in use then one would need to create a new material number.

The revision levels are typically used to identify that smaller changes to the material have been done like updating specifications, updating drawing information (but no changes that would change the form of the product) and such.

Also these changes would not affect the interchangeability of the materials in stock or the parts still in stock are blocked and should not be used during further processing.

In Migo the revision level is visible in the material tab.

As for MD04, the revision level should show up once the MRP has been run.

lawrei99
Participant
0 Kudos

Thanks Peter for clarifying all the questions .

I was able to find in MRP , the revision level but i don't see in Material tab and also don't see in the enjoy settings in config to add them .

But in case I got the information what i was looking based on which this process can be recommended .

Thanks once again .

Regards,

Lawrei

Edited by: lawrei99 on May 16, 2011 3:47 PM

Answers (0)