cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Standard SAP solution for dealing with 2-compound glues and kits

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi

There are cases of 2-compound glues where each part has a separate SDS and where the dangerous goods classification is different between the two.

Is there anyone who can describe the standard SAP solution for this example? Both in terms of SDS and dangerous goods.

Best regards / Gustav

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

christoph_bergemann
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

hello Gustav

I am not so familiar with the standard example of SAP (which belongs to the Best Practise approach if i remember correct).

Let's try this:

a.) You need to think about materials (FERT etc.) and specifications (REAL_SUB)

b.) you should not "mix" SDS and DG demands (or other regular demands) because based on demand solutions are different in EH&S

Here only the SDS scope:

If you "mix" two glues to get a new one the simplest approach is to used three REAL_SUBs:

a.) REAL_SUB 1 = glue 1

b.) REAL_SUB 2 = glue 2

c.) REAL_SUB 3 = mixture of glue1 and glues

Using this model you can handle EH&S data per REAL_SUB and you can create then the data on level REAL_SUB 3

Material scope:

Now you need to define from material point of view your "glue". A material describes normally either a "packed" or "bulk" one. The packed one can be defined as a material (bulk) ogether with a further material (of type packaging)

In any case you need at least (simple example) three material numbers. One describing glue1, one describing glue2 and one describing the mixture (because you are either purachsing, producing or selling these materials).

DG scope:

Based on the type of packing etc. the DG scope is different. Please refer to SAP standard approach (sap help). In any case:

If you have defined three materials you will get in DG master three EH&S DG masters (per material (and regulation) one data record)

Please take into account that SAP standard approches uses to my knowledge further objects like PURE_SUB and LIST_SUB. These are used to handle specific data which can be inherited / referenced if necessary to the corresponding REAL_SUBs using several EHS& techniques. I assume that you are familiar with PURE_SUB/LIST_SUB use in EH&S

With best regards

C.B.

PS: please take care of the topic of the so called "multi component kits" etc. The solution here is different and the legal interpretation of companies regarding thus is different and therefore the EHS& solution is different

PPS: I assume that your example originates from SAP best practise for Chemicals?

Edited by: Christoph Bergemann on Jun 10, 2011 11:21 AM

Edited by: Christoph Bergemann on Jun 10, 2011 11:24 AM

Edited by: Christoph Bergemann on Jun 10, 2011 11:30 AM

Edited by: Christoph Bergemann on Jun 10, 2011 11:32 AM

Edited by: Christoph Bergemann on Jun 10, 2011 11:32 AM

Edited by: Christoph Bergemann on Jun 10, 2011 11:33 AM

Edited by: Christoph Bergemann on Jun 10, 2011 11:33 AM

Edited by: Christoph Bergemann on Jun 10, 2011 11:34 AM

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thank you for the answer!

I have one more question regarding dangerous goods and the delivery/shipment process in SAP.

If you have a kit that is a 2-compound glue, where you have 3 material numbers. One "top-material" and the two glue components. One of the components is classified as UN3101 and the other UN1866. How should the "top-material" be classified?

I can not find in the help text where SAP describes how to solve this scenario, could you specify where I can find this information?

best regards / Gustav

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Gustav,

We faced a similar situation in our company and we were able to assign more than one material (hence UN number) that were attached to a header material (through a custom table) with the help of DG user exit DG700003, you can have look at the documentation and try, all the best.

Praveen

christoph_bergemann
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello Gustav

First: the user exit as mentioned by Praveen is a good starting point to think about options/solutions. May be refer to this link:

http://help.sap.com/saphelp_erp60/helpdata/en/b7/d5033b77b7261fe10000000a11402f/content.htm

(Material Exchange and Multiple Component Explosion)

Your questions give rises to a number of subquestions.

First: the components are classified as explained by you using different UN numbers. Second they are combined to give the "kit" which is transported as a physical unit.

Now you have to differentiate between "classification" and "wished effects" in DG checks, printing on documents etc.

Let's start with transportation issue:

The kit is "one material" number which should be transported. Many companies use the "worst" case scenario to regulate the DG filling (and therefore the DG checks) regarding the kit. From legal perspective I believe this is a "good" choice (but you need rules to decide which DG master is the worst one).

Keep in mind that this type of material gives rise to further questions. how should you decide "easily" the question of "loading" (what is allowed to be loaded together from legal perspective etc. andt taking into account company specific rules what is allowed to be loaded together) this material together with other materials (road transport etc.); once again some companies use Worst Case scenarios others use different options.

Second: during transportation etc. some documents must be prepared. The solution of this issue is different by company.

Some use in the documents once again the "worst case" scenario (and print only DG data of the material which is more dangerous.; other companies print both informations).

Both options does have pros and cons (from legal perspective as well SAP EH&S techniques and effort).

Therefore: reagarding to your question:

I can not find in the help text where SAP describes how to solve this scenario, could you specify where I can find this information?

I believe there is no answer by SAP in SAP standard documentation

From legal perpective it is "quite" simple: ask your DG expert in the company in which way he would classify the material (the kit) "manually". Be aware of the fact that your scenario does have so many "subscenarios" which you could take into account in DG (e.g. "Bad example" if glue 1 be a 500 l and glue 2 1000 l other DG regulations/rules might be applied as if the combination is 100 l to 1000 l (because of the many DG exemptions which exists in the regulations))

With best regards

C.B.

Edited by: Christoph Bergemann on Jun 13, 2011 1:55 PM

Edited by: Christoph Bergemann on Jun 13, 2011 1:55 PM

Edited by: Christoph Bergemann on Jun 13, 2011 1:56 PM

Edited by: Christoph Bergemann on Jun 15, 2011 12:47 PM

Edited by: Christoph Bergemann on Jun 15, 2011 12:48 PM

Edited by: Christoph Bergemann on Jun 15, 2011 12:48 PM

Edited by: Christoph Bergemann on Jun 15, 2011 12:50 PM