cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

File Adapter in PI not reading file from file system.

former_member201987
Participant
0 Kudos

Hello Experts,

I have a scenario wherin SAP generates a file and saves on file system. PI reads the file from the specified file path on SAP file system and after mapping to the target structure puts the file on a FTP server.

My Problem:

For QA system

File adapter in PI is not reading the file from the SAP file path. When I see in communication channel monitoring I can see for the communication channel as:

Message processing started
Message processing completed successfully

BUT For PI Dev system

With all identical configurations in communication channel (except for the file path) the scenario on Devlopment system is working fine.

Can it be a problem of permissions of the folder containing the file to be read?

Please help!

Thanks,

Suraj

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (8)

Answers (8)

Former Member

G'day,

Just to add a possible solution to the mix, for the benefit of others, I had a similar issue. However it was in my DEV environment only. I had a file in a folder and my File Sender comms channel would dutifully start and end processing without doing anything as per the original post:

i.e.

processing started

processing finished successfully

When I pinged the channel (via the 'ping channel' button available on the File Sender Communication Channel monitor) PI could see the folder but not the file (it listed Directory 'abc' exists', Source file 'xyz' does not exist), even though the file was there and named correctly (correct case etc). This helped confirm it was not a folder level problem.

I contacted a colleague in our UNIX team and he mentioned the file itself had group read permissions set. He changed it to read and write permissions and, when I restarted the File Sender Comms Channel and it all worked! Implies that PI needs write access to open the file (even though I had processing mode set to test, and not to archive). Seem obvious in hindsight but at the time I was going around in circles.

Hope someone finds this helpful.

cheers

Gary

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I had a similar issue. For me, note 821267, answer 46 solved the issue:

Go to NWA, tab "Troubleshooting", "Java", "Locks", and delete the locks which block your files.

Kind regards, Moritz

Former Member
0 Kudos

Can you please share the solution, I am facing the same issue.

Thanks & Regards

Sidra Hasan

praveen_sutra
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

hi Suraj,

1)     Please check the if the file extension is in caps(make the filename and extension in either small letters or caps).

2)     Remove the file placed and place a fresh file.

3)     See if the file is not empty.

Please try it might help.

thanks and regards,

Praveen T

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello All,

I was also facing a similar Issue and latter found that the issue was due to the Filename Case Sensitivity. The entire filename and its extensions should be checked for case sensitivity between the CC Filename details and the actual physical Filename

The RWB does not give any error Message as the File is not found due to the case sensitivity issue.

Regards,

Sai

baskar_gopalakrishnan2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

>Can it be a problem of permissions of the folder containing the file to be read?

Though file processing successful mesg you get, still I suspect file reading permission problem. Check whether the file permission is properly set in the unix level. Also restart the channel after changing the file permission. See that helps.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Suraj,

Yes, that may be because of file permission issue.

Please check whether path mentioned in communication channel has access to <SID>adm or SAPService<SAID> user.

As you said it's development environment so you can give below permission and test

Windows : Set read/write (As per requirement) permission for everyone.

Unix : provide permission 755 to specified path.

Hope this will resolve your issue.

Regards,

Rajesh

rajasekhar_reddy14
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

edit comunication channel with dummy changes and activate it , if still same proplem persists then create new comunication chanel with same deatails.

final option start and stop the File Service .

former_member201987
Participant
0 Kudos

Thanks for the reply Raja!

Can you please let me know How to restart the File service?

Thanks,

Suraj

rajasekhar_reddy14
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

which version of PI are you working on

if it is PI 7.1

NWA --> Operation Management --> Systems --> Start & Stop --> JAVA EE Services --> check for File Connector, Locking Adapter and XPI Adapter: File.

before that perfrom Cache refresh and try that,if still no luck and try other options suggested by me..

final stop and start the service.

Regards,

Raj

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

To stop and start the file channel, go to RWB and filter your file adapter....there you can find the options to start and stop the communication channel.

Regards,

Phani

former_member201987
Participant
0 Kudos

Hello Raja,

I forgot to mention one point. The PI DEV & QA environment are not separate. It is the same PI system. So if the file service is working for 1 scenario it should work for other also.

I tried all the options you told, but no luck. Still the files on SAP ECC Dev are being picked up and the files on SAP ECC QA are not.

Any other suggestions please!

Thanks,

Suraj

Former Member
0 Kudos

Check if maybe the channel is in test mode

Fabio

former_member201987
Participant
0 Kudos

Hello Fabio,

Where do we check the mode of Communication Channel?

Thanks,

Suraj

Former Member
0 Kudos

is your message is executed successfully and u can see messages in MONI for the file?

as boni has suggested either u have kept the file processing mode as test which is not deleting the file from the folder and after the polling interval the same file is getting polled.

check in file adapter - processing mode should be deleter not TEST.

chirag

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

in Tab "Processing" check the value of "Processing Mode".

It must be Delete or Archive.

Fabio

former_member201987
Participant
0 Kudos

Hello Chirag Fabino,

The Processing Mode is "Delete"

Hello Chirag,

There are no messages in SXMB_MONI or Message Monitoring in RWB.

Thanks,

Suraj

Former Member
0 Kudos

u mentioned that ur file is not read but still u r getting log in RWB as message processed successfully ? is it correct??

can u check the file path again in file adapter - whether it is pointing to the correct path which is starting from root node.

chirag

former_member201987
Participant
0 Kudos

Hello Chirag,

I can see that in communication channel monitoring in RWB.

Thanks,

Suraj

Former Member
0 Kudos

what i m guessing is XI is able to connect to FTP and polling the directory but it is not able to find the required file in the directory to read hence u are not getting any error message in RWB.

can u put the file name as * and check. at the same time as I said check the file path mentioned in File adapter.

thanks

chirag

former_member201987
Participant
0 Kudos

Hello Chirag,

There are many other files also in the directory. So I cannot specify * there. But I have specified * before and after the Name of the file that PI needs to read. But still it is not getting picked.

Can it be an issue with the permissions of the folder from which the file is to be read?

Thanks,

Suraj

Former Member
0 Kudos

can u try with initial name of file and then *.

u can check the permission too.....

chirag

former_member201987
Participant
0 Kudos

I tried that too. In fact I gave the exact file name and checked. Still it is not working.

I have sent an email to client to check the permissions of the folders on SAP DEV & SAP QA and to make them identical as of DEV if they are different. Then I can again test.

Thanks,

Suraj

Former Member
0 Kudos

how bout the path ...is it mentioned from the root directory??

let me know once u checked with ur client.

chirag

Edited by: Chirag Gohil on Jun 23, 2011 8:14 PM

former_member201987
Participant
0 Kudos

The Path is mentioned from Root directory. It is same as that in the Communication channel for picking up the files from SAP DEV system. Only the system name has changed.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

have you already tried to cancel and recreate CC?

former_member201987
Participant
0 Kudos

Yes Fabio, I have already tried deleting and creating a new CC.

The only thing remaining is restarting the services for file adapter and checking of permissions for SAP folder.

I am not sure what all services to start - stop for file adapter.

former_member201987
Participant
0 Kudos

Hello All,

The file permissions for the folders on DEV & QA are identical. Still the scenario for picking up the file from SAP QA file system is not working. DEV & QA for PI is the same system. So if one communication channel is picking up files from ECC DEV file system then why is another communication channel unable to pick up files from ECC QA file system?

Please help!

Thanks,

Suraj