Application Development Discussions
Join the discussions or start your own on all things application development, including tools and APIs, programming models, and keeping your skills sharp.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Distribution model for Message control ?

former_member182337
Participant
0 Kudos

hi all,

I have few basic doubts in idoc.

1. I am sending idoc from my system to a file in application server. I have not maintained the details in BD64 and still it works fine. My understanding is that only if there involves two different system, then we need to do config in BD64?Am i right?

2. As per the above case, my idoc gets triggered and it creates file in the application server.There is no issue with it.I am

working on another transaction which is configured via message control and once it is saved idoc must be triggred and a file

must be placed in application server. But for this case, the system expects me to do maintain BD64? Why it did not ask for

the previous case and why it expects BD64 for this case? Can someone explain pls?

Thanks and Regards,

Prem

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Prem,

1. I am sending idoc from my system to a file in application server. I have not maintained the details in BD64 and still it works fine. My understanding is that only if there involves two different system, then we need to do config in BD64?Am i right?

Not actually, you need to configure or create a distribution model only when you are using ALE. However you could choose to send/receive IDOCs between systems without using a distribution model - EDI, IDOCs between SAP and Logical systems etc, which is guess is what is happening in the above case.

2. As per the above case, my idoc gets triggered and it creates file in the application server.There is no issue with it.I am

working on another transaction which is configured via message control and once it is saved idoc must be triggred and a file

must be placed in application server. But for this case, the system expects me to do maintain BD64? Why it did not ask for

the previous case and why it expects BD64 for this case? Can someone explain pls?

On the output type configured using message control, check if the transmission medium is ALE, if so then you need to have a distribution model.

Regards,

Chen

10 REPLIES 10

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Prem,

Not actually, you need to configure or create a distribution model only when you are using ALE. However you could choose to send/receive IDOCs between systems without using a distribution model - EDI, IDOCs between SAP and Logical systems etc, which is guess is what is happening in the above case.

On the output type configured using message control, check if the transmission medium is ALE, if so then you need to have a distribution model.

Regards,

Chen

0 Kudos

Thanks Chen,

Though your explanation has been quite helpful, it is stil confusing.

Yes, ALE has ben configured for the message type. SO i understand that if ALE is used ,then we need to use BD64 but u said if EDI and LS is used,then distribution model is not needed. Isn't all partner profile details come under LS?

Like if i want to send information from my ECC system to an XI system then , i need to maintain the XI system in WE20 as Logical system, isn't it?

Then in this case does it mean that BD64 is not needed(In our project, we use XI, have configured it as LS in WE20 and have also used BD64 for it) This part alone slightly confusing me. When BD64 is needed and when not needed. Can you explain pls?

Thanks,

Prem

0 Kudos

Prem, below are my thoughts,

Yes, ALE has ben configured for the message type. SO i understand that if ALE is used ,then we need to use BD64 but u said if EDI and LS is used,then distribution model is not needed. Isn't all partner profile details come under LS?

Not all partner profiles come under LS(Logical System), there are other partner types - LI, KU, US etc.

To put Distribution model into perspective, let us look at the example of Master data distribution, let us say you create Materials in your system on Client 100, and you have three other clients - 101-103 and you want to replicate the Material Master in all these three client, in this case you would build a Distribution model(note that you would still create these partner profiles 101-103 under LS) and distribute the data to other three clients as well.

Now for EDI - EDI is mostly used to communicate with your business partners, now you wouldn't want to send data of one partner to another(or all of them) hence you don't have a distribution model. And you create partner profiles under KU, LI, BA depending on the nature of partner.

And for LS, let us go back to the earlier case of client 100, 101, 102 and 103, you have some data you want to send to client 101 only, then you could transfer the data to this client without using ALE-distribution model. Or you could use a distribution model in case if you feel you might need to distribute it to other clients in the future.

Also, ALE is mostly(exceptions are there) used for master data distribution.

Like if i want to send information from my ECC system to an XI system then , i need to maintain the XI system in WE20 as Logical system, isn't it?

Yes, you need to maintain XI under LS, not only XI, any other systems that are within the purview of your organization and with which you are interacting via IDOC. For Ex: a system meant for your warehouse, DC etc.

Then in this case does it mean that BD64 is not needed(In our project, we use XI, have configured it as LS in WE20 and have also used BD64 for it) This part alone slightly confusing me. When BD64 is needed and when not needed. Can you explain pls?

BD64 is used to create distribution model in ALE, so if you don't have a scenario which warrants this set up you don't have to use it. Distribution model, provides a way to group/conceptualize data distribution between applications/similar systems.

Regards,

Chen

0 Kudos

Thanks a lot Chen. I am now much more comfortable with this .

To summarize, if you have similar data which needs to be replicated to a group of systems then we use distribution model. If it is just a one off transfer to one particular system , then we could do away without having to create BD64. Am i right?

One last question - Assuming it to be a transfer of data between 100 to 110 client( Only to 110) , as per your explanation BD64 is not needed in this case, but would it cause harm if we still go and maintain it in BD64?

Once again, thanks a lot for your time.

Prem

0 Kudos

Hello Prem,

In continuation to what Chen has already mentioned, maintaining the model view in BD64 is not enough to transmit the idoc to the receiver.

You've to maintain the Partner Profile details as well. You can do so via explicitly using WE20 or generate them directly from BD64(Environment -> Generate Partner Profiles).

Also note that you can distribute the Model view to the receiving ALE systems(Edit -> Model View -> Distribute). All you have to do is log into the receiver system & generate PP from the "distributed" model view w/o having to manually maintain WE20.

As a rule of thumb you can maintain the distribution model for all outbound scenarios - ALE, EDI etc. But in case of EDI the usage of Distribution Model is very limited.

BR,

Suhas

PS: Check the trxn. SALE & read the documentation on Distribution Model.

Edited by: Suhas Saha on Jun 30, 2011 3:00 PM

0 Kudos

Hi Suhas,

As a rule of thumb maintain the distribution model for all outbound scenarios - ALE, EDI etc.

I am pretty sure that you don't use Distribution model in EDI Scenario's, would be great if you could share more info on a scenario where it was used.

Regards,

Chen

0 Kudos

Hello Chen,

Typo ... Thanks for pointing that out!

As a rule of thumb maintain the distribution model for all outbound scenarios - ALE, EDI etc.

Should read as: We should maintain Distribution Model for all ALE outbound scenarios - SAP / non-SAP. Although for non-SAP systems the utility of distribution model is very limited.

0 Kudos

Many thanks to both of your for the inputs provided. Can anyone of you clarify my last post pls?

Thanks,

Prem

0 Kudos

Prem,

You are Welcome ,

To summarize, if you have similar data which needs to be replicated to a group of systems then we use distribution model. If it is just a one off transfer to one particular system , then we could do away without having to create BD64. Am i right?

You are right, but it is advised to leverage the capabilities of distribution model(filtering etc), if you are just starting off with IDOCs i would suggest you to park your questions on the additional features of distribution model for the time being, once you are comfy with the basics, get back to these finer points.

But an exception for this would be cases when you are sending transaction data(mostly), let us say you need to send Delivery Note/Shipping Doc info to the Distribution Center/Warehouse, this is not something that would need to be sent to any other system other than the DC/Warehouse, in such cases it doesn't make sense to have a distribution model.

One last question - Assuming it to be a transfer of data between 100 to 110 client( Only to 110) , as per your explanation BD64 is not needed in this case, but would it cause harm if we still go and maintain it in BD64?

Not at all, it is better to have one as mentioned above.

@Suhas - Congrats on becoming a Moderator , All the best !!!

Regards,

Chen

Edited by: Chen K V on Jun 30, 2011 10:17 PM

Edited by: Chen K V on Jun 30, 2011 10:21 PM

0 Kudos

Thanks a lot.

Regards,

Prem