cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

RFC or IDOC or ABAP Proxy

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

What is the best way(R3 Side) for standardization?

R3 <-> Legacy.

I've read all related article on sdn, but i am not still clear on which best way RFC or ABAP Proxy or IDOC in real life.

if you are, what is suggestion?

thanks

dennis

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

udo_martens
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Dennis,

If you can send Business Data with only less work by IDoc it can be the best choice. IDocs are always asynchronous - no response. The transfer via IDoc has a very good performance.

ABAP proxies have a good performance as well, you can design the message flow synchronous, if required. For new development the best choice.

RFC is more riscy becoz of less stability and bad performance. You have an additional application (Java Adapter Engine) running during message exchange. I would recommend to avoid in the most cases. It can be the only alternative in case of R/3-release < 4.7 (without WAS) and need of responses (synchronous flow).

Regards,

Udo

Former Member
0 Kudos

Ogawa,

There are advantages / disadvantages for RFC / Proxies / Idocs. So if I am in your position depending upon the requirement I will choose one. Some of the differences are:

<i><b>RFC and Proxy:</b></i>

RFC/BAPI has its own overhead of function call.

Proxies communicate with the XI server by means of native SOAP calls over HTTP .RFC does not, so you have to convert from SOAP to RFC calls and vice versa. So XML conversion is required.

ABAP Proxies uses Webservice and Http Protocols.

If you use ABAP Proxy , you can reduce the overhead calling the function again and again.

<i><b>Proxy and Idoc:</b></i>

IDOC : After recieving the strucutred data It processes it using a Function Module associated with it.

Proxy : Proxy is a structure where there is no processing function module associated. You need to explicitly write the Business Logic/Call the subroutines here

This is my absolutely my view. Another guy has his own response. So first go through your requirements and then you can decide for what to go.

Also go through this urls which may help you:

/people/michal.krawczyk2/blog/2006/04/19/xi-rfc-or-abap-proxy-abap-proxies-with-attachments

/people/ravikumar.allampallam/blog/2005/08/14/choose-the-right-adapter-to-integrate-with-sap-systems

---Satish