cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DI client and server connectivity

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I am trying to connect SAP DI client with DI server running on Windows 2008 server with MS SQL as database.

Could any one provide information on client-server connectivity?

I would greatly appreciate that.

Thanks,

Arun

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi, Arun.

If the client and server are installed on different machines you can start testing the connectivity between them.

1) Try to telnet the Job Server port:

telnet <JobServerIP> <JobServerPort>

If no error message is displayed, there are no network issues.

Also check if the Windows firewall is not blocking the job server port.

Note: The Job Server port can be checked opening the Server Manager and clicking the 'Edit Job Server Config' button.

2) Try to telnet the Designer port:

Before to telnet the Desiner port, in Designer, click Tools > Options, expand Designer, click Environment, uncheck the 'Allow Designer to set the port for Job Server communication' and set the same port number (above 1024) in the From and To boxes. Click OK and restart the Designer.

3) Check if the Job Server is associated to the repository:

Open the Server Manager, click the 'Edit Job Server Config' button, select the Job Server in the list, click teh Edit button, select the correct repository in the 'Associated Repositories' list, click Resync, confirm the operation, type the repository database password and click Apply. Click OK, OK again and then Restart, to restart the Job Service.

If you encounter no errors on performing the above steps, post the error message you're getting.

Regards,

Leonardo.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Leonardo,

Thank you very much for your helo. I followed what you suggested and did not get any error and worked smoothly.

The problem i am facing now is at client side. I am have installed SAP data services client components in my system and try to access the server through it.

I open designer from client and enter all credentials(user name, database server, name) and click ok. The error i get is 'database name not found, no default driver specified'.

Should i install MS SQL Server on client machine also? Or is it a problem with ODBC connection?

Appreciate your inputs.

Thanks

Arun

Former Member
0 Kudos

Arun,

1) Did you already create the database to be used as repository and then create the repository using the Repository Manager?

2) From the Designer machine, can you ping the database server name you are using in the Designer logon window?

3) Did you check the information you are entering in the Designer logon window?

(Database type = Microsoft SQL Server, Database server name, Database name, User name and Password)

Can you post the full error message?

Answering your question: you don't have to install MSSQL Server in the Designer machine.

Regards,

Leonardo.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Leonardo,

Yes i created a database in MSSQL server running on Windows Server and created repository using repository manager.

On your second question, how do i ping the database server name from client?

Yes all the parameters are correct. The error i am getting is:-

"Login failed. The login is from an untrusted domain and cannot be used with windows authentication"

While i am logging through the designer in client, i am checking windows authenticaton because SQL server is installed as windows authentication (no username and password).

Thanks,

Arun

Former Member
0 Kudos

Arun,

When I said to ping the database server name from client I ment to ping the IP address in the Database server name box using the command prompt in the Designer machine. Just to check if there are no network issues between those 2 machines.

About the issue: you are receiving this error message because the user you are logged in the Designer machine doesn't have privileges to access the database in the MSSQL Server machine. You can grant rights to this user in the MSSQL Server machine or try the following:

- In the MSSQL machine, open the Microsoft SQL Server Management Studio.

- Expand Security, right-click Logins and choose New Login...

- Choose a Login name, select 'SQL Server authentication', type a password, confirm it, and choose your repository database in the 'Default database' dropdown box.

- Click 'User Mapping' in the left panel.

- In the 'Select Schema' window, click the Browse button, select [dbo] from the list and click OK.

- Click OK in the 'Select Schema' window

- In the bottom of the window, inside the 'Database role membership for:' box, check db_owner.

- Click OK to finish the configurations.

You just created a new user and now you should be able to use the SQL Server authentication in the Designer's logon window.

Leo.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hey Leonardo,

Great!! It is working. Awesome, i am very happy!!

Thanks,

Arun

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Leo,

I am able to login and view all the jobs in server and work on that.

But i am facing a problem with running the job server when i login from client.

The error showing is "No job server is configured. Designer is using the Job server (192.XXX.X.XX:3010) is not responding (BODI 1241021)"

But if i login directly from server no issue, the job server is working.

Appreciate your help.

Thanks,

Arun

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi

If your Designer allows you top execute job on the same machine as the job server, but not from another (typically client) machine, the issue is normally that the repository is not associated with a job server. This is done using the server manager on the machine running the job server.

The reason the designer works on the server is because it will attempt to use a local job server. An icon in the bottom left of the designer will show the job server machine name, or a default.

Michael

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Michael. Based on your suggestions, i was able to do that and run it successfully.

One question i have is, i am running a SQL Server on DS Server machine and when the job executues, the output is written on SQL Server database. I am able to see the output in SQL server by logging to windows server > SQL server management studio and open the table manually.

Is there any way i can see the output of SQL server from Client machine without logging to the server everytime.

Do i have to install a MS SQL Client in my client machine?

Appreciate your help.

Arun

Former Member
0 Kudos

Arun,

After you run the job you can see a magnifying glass at the source/target table icons. Click it and you'll be able to see the data.

Leo.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Leo.

I am now facing the previous problem again, job server not working.

The error i am getting is "notification server error BODI 1241023"

My installation is like this:

DI Server + Web tier components in Windows Server 2008, database SQL Server

DI Client components in my laptop, Windows 7 64 bit. (designer and repository manager at client side)

I am opening designer from Client connecting through SQL authenticated user name and opening the designer instance in server. Now everything (profiler, central repository) is working except job server and access servers.

Job server is connected to Port 3500.

Any TCP/IP issues?

Appreciate your timely help.

Arun

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi, Arun.

I have been busy last days. So, I couldn't check the SCN updates.

If you also have the Designer installed at the Win2k8 server, open it and check the Job Server(JS) status in the Desinger status bar. If a red X is displayed in the JS icon, something is wrong with it. Check if the Data Services service is running. Also try to restart it using the Server Manager.

In case you don't have Designer installed at the JS machine, check the connectivity between the Designer and JS machines, first using ping and then using telnet.

Regards,

Leo.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Leo,

Thankyou.

I solved the issue. The problem was when i tried to access over wireless the job server is not running. But if i access through LAN cable the jobserver starts running.

I guess the issue was with the workgroup as both client and server is in different workgroup.

regards,

Arun

Answers (0)