cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SAP ECC 6.0+PI/EP Integration in one box with same <SID>

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear Friends,

One of my customer has requirements that he wants PI/EP to be installed as usage types in an existing ECC 6.0 system.

Is it possible to perform such type of installation now ?,since already ECC 6.0 is installed on the box.

Now is it recommended/possible to install PI/EP as usage types in NW 2004s SR1 scenario.

I have gone thru SAP notes: 883948 and 855534 also.

Please if you have views/suggestions on this scenario, give me feedback.

Kind Regards

Neenad

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

former_member181887
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Neenad,

It is possible to do the installation that you are suggesting. It is covered in the mySAP ERP Master guide and the SAP NetWeaver master guide.

To use the PI usage type with mySAP ERP 2005, you must have a unicode AS ABAP. This restriction is covered in SAP note 855534.

With regard to if this is "recommended", there is a lot of points that you must weigh up prior to making this decision (disaster recovery, security/legal requirements, maintenance/upgrades, administration/operational needs, sharing of functionality across apps, etc ). Each customer is unique in this regards to these so careful consideration is needed. From SAP's viewpoint it is supported to have both a single system with all the usage types you have mentioned or to have 3 or more systems for this installation. It is quite flexible.

Maybe some of the SDN community users can add their view.

Cheers,

Mike.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear Mike,

Thanks for your reply.We had tried to install the usage types PI/EP on existing ECC 6.0 <SID> but during the installation we received following inputs screen in SAPinst:

1> When I select this components (excluding ECC since its already installed)

a) AS ABAP

b) AS JAVA

c) EP

d) PI

The sapinst gives below message:

<b>"Some of the selected software units depend on non-selected software units. The following software units also need to be selected for activation: - ECC (Central Component)"</b>

2> So we selected ECC along with above components.

The sapinst goes ahead and ask for different user inputs and then following inputs its asked:

"SAPinst has detected an existing database.At this point you can select <i><b>Install</i> MCOD</b> or <b>Drop database</b> and recreate.

Action for existing DB.

a) Install MCOD

<b>b) Drop database and recreate"</b>

We had refered SAP note 883948 regarding usage types installations.Following is the extract from SAP note

-

Reason and Prerequisites

You want to install an Usage Type or Software Units to an existing system based on SAP NetWeaver 2004s.

Solution

<b>Currently it is not possible to install additional usage types / software units using SAPinst. We are working on a solution.</b>

-

Your inputs/suggestions on these will be helpful.

Kind Regards

Neenad

former_member181887
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Neenad,

You are correct, I spoke too soon. It is only possible to install AS JAVA into an existing system - it is not possible to install EP/EPC/BI Java into an existing systems. We are working on the support for the additional usage types but it may be some time before we have an automated solution. SAP note 883948 will be updated when this is available but I expect it will take some time to test all combinations of SPs and configuration to ensure correctness.

You can install a new system with all the usage types combined.

I'm sorry for the miss information I gave you.

The only option you have available to you is a standalone AS JAVA based installation (with EPC and EP) and a standalone AS ABAP installation.

I hope this clarifies this.

Cheers,

Mike.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear Mike,

Thanks for the detailed reply. So what i understand from your reply is:

1> To install PI we will require separete(AS ABAP + AS JAVA) engine. So on same box PI installation currently will not be supported ie.. we will require different box with different <SID>, and

2> To install EP we will require (AS JAVA).So on the same box we can install EP with same <SID>.

Please correct me If I have misunderstood with your reply.

Kind Regards

Neenad

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Neenad,

A separate SID is necessary, but not necessarily a separate box. Whether or not a separate box is used should be decided on issues like availability, performance and security.

-- If a box is sized correctly, it can host several SIDs.

-- Failover time in the event of system crash(es) can then come into play, though, and can be a good reason to use separate boxes.

-- Personally, I would want my Portal systems to be separated from my business systems by a firewall.

Best Regards,

Matt

Answers (0)