cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Crystal Reports Web Viewer Control Error

Former Member
0 Kudos

I have a very odd problem that I am trying to solve. I was able to dumb the problem down to the Crystal Report Viewer control. I am using the control in an web user control and using that control in a web page. The problem is that when I use the control inside a web user control I get the following error:

A string is required here. Details: errorKind Error in File Client_Info {D911348D-2CAA-49F8-B77D-1288E7D5ABA2}.rpt: Error in formula Project_Labor_Multiplier: 'if ' A string is required here. Details: errorKind

However, when I use the control in the page itself I do not get that error. I have tested the report via the design/preview in the VS IDE and it works fine. I have about 30 reports and they all fail like this if they have a formula. If they do not have a formula, they work fine. They do not fail on my personal development machine, but they do fail on our test server. So this is VERY hard to identify and fix.

All that I know is that the formula's are causing this. They do not occur on my development machine (win7 64-bit) and they do occur on the the test server (winServer 64-bit)... but NOT when I put the Report Viewer control directly in a page and not in a user control.

Odd stuff. Not sure what is going on here. Why would nesting the viewer control in a web user control cause this? This was migrated from an application written in 2005. So maybe the RPT files from 2005 are causing this?

Any thoughts as to what might cause such an odd effect on Windows Server?

Any suggestions or thoughts would be very much appreciated. This one has me stumped.

Best regards,

Jon

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

former_member183750
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello Jon

Some thoughts on the issue:

The error is thrown with a 64 bit runtime, but not 32bit. Iu2019m guessing that on your development computer, you may be testing \ running from the .NET IDE. E.g.; Cassini, which runs in 32bit process. On the server we're running in a 64bit process.

Since it is a formula throwing the error, I wonder if you are using any Crystal Reports User Function Libraries (UFL)? If these are compiled as 32 bit, they will fail when run in a 64 bit process. Or, these libraries must be deployed in addition to the normal CR runtime. Failing that will also cause formula errors.

Are you able to run this app from IIS on your development computer as a 64 bit process (e.g.; HTTP, not Cassini or file system)?

Ludek

Follow us on Twitter http://twitter.com/SAPCRNetSup

Got Enhancement ideas? Try the [SAP Idea Place|https://ideas.sap.com/community/products_and_solutions/crystalreports]

Answers (0)