cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Asset Closing

former_member218048
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Now we have come to the opening of a new Fiscal Year.

Kindly advise me which should be the first transaction that is to be done from Asset Accounting ? :

1. Fiscal Year Change - Asset Accounting (Tcode AJRW)

2. Year End closing-Asset Accounting (Tcode AJAB)

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (5)

Answers (5)

Former Member

We have to do fiscal year change first. You cannot post any entries in new fiscal year without doing AJRW because system will automatically prompt you for fiscal year change.

Closing asset fiscal year should be done only after ensuring all activites of previous year is complete.

AJAB can be done little later also as there is no harm in having two asset accounting years open

Malathi

atif_farooq
Active Contributor

Hi:

AJRW is only a technical step so that your asset accounting reports can be used in new fiscal year. AJAB should be done when you are sure that all of the year end closing activities for assets have been done , upon execution of AJAB system closed previous fiscal year for asset posting (OAAQ will show it) and opens new fiscal year . I hope it will help you.

Regards

former_member218048
Active Participant
0 Kudos

I am not clear with your comments.

So I understand that now we have to do AJRW since new year is already open. Once all depreciation postings and adjustments are done for the previous year, we will do the AJAB. Am I right ?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi

Yes you are correct. AJRW first and AJAB as you have mentioned

Malathi

atif_farooq
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi:

Execute AJRW...This will make change fiscal year for all asset reporting. Then run AJAB this will close asset year . Please refer to the link given

http://help.sap.com/saphelp_46c/helpdata/ru/6e/1222ad9f0411d189b80000e829fbbd/content.

Regards

former_member309133
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello

Suppose you want to open for new year 2012, then you have to close the fiscal year 2010. In AJAB you need to close the fiscal year 2010. After this you can open new year 2012 in AJRW.

Sangram

former_member218048
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Ok. Thanks for the inputs. Since I am handling the closing/opening activities for the first time, please advise me whether the following order of activities are correct:

1. Asset Fiscal Year change : AJRW

2. Asset closing : AJAB

3. AP/AR carryforward : F.07

4. GL carry forward : FA.16

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi

You are correct. You can also refer to the below sdn wiki link for year end activities

http://wiki.sdn.sap.com/wiki/display/ERPFI/FICOPeriodEndActivities-+Periodicity

Malathi

atif_farooq
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi:

Yes you will proceed in the way you mentioned. I would recommend you to go through the WIKI link

Hope it will help you.

Regards

former_member218048
Active Participant
0 Kudos

One more help rquired:

Which report I can use to see that in each company code: (1) Which Asset year is open currently ? (2) Which company codes have done the previous closing ?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Check in OAAQ. It will give you the last closed fiscal year for every company code in Asset Accounting

former_member218048
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Dear Malathi

Thank you very much for the prompt response.

So in OAAQ, we can see the closed Fiscal Year and we can assume that the next year to the closed year will be the current open year. Correct ? (i.e. if the closed year is 2010, the year that is open is 2011).

Former Member
0 Kudos

Yes. You are correct. But also please remember at any time 2 Fiscal years can be open for asset accounting. So if the last closed fiscal year is 2010, it may mean both 2011 and 2012 are open.

former_member218048
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Thank you Malathi.

But, while I was trying to execute a fiscal year change of 2012, system is saying the fiscal year 2010 was not clsed. I.e. means while doing the AJRW for 2012, should we have to close 2010 ? ( i.e. 2011 & 2012 is allowed in open status)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Exactly. When you are trying to open 2012, then we can have 2 fiscal years open including 2012. So you have to close 2010

former_member218048
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Ok Malathi. One more assistance, pl.

I tried to close the fiscal year 2010. System has issued error message that for two assets depreciation was not completely posted for the year 2010. Now we are in 2012. How can I post the depreciation for those assets relating to the period 12 of the year 2010 ? Can I do the AFAB through a 'repeat' run or 'restart' run mentioning the asset numebrs ?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi

You will not be allowed to close a fiscal year unless the depreciation is fully posted. But to post the depreciation, you also need to have FI accounting period open. If this scenario is in your production system, please enquire why depreciation was not posted for these two assets when books of accounts were finalised for 2010.

You have to open 2010 accounting period, run AFAB in repeat mode for last period to post the depreciation. Then you have to close fiscal year 2010

Malathi

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear Nikatha,

Please do the Asset year end process for 2010 first (Only AJRW and AJAB)

For 2011 you have to do only AJRW. Asset fiscal year close for 2011(AJAB) will do subject to your year end activties.

If you are not doing the Prior Years Asset year end process , then you cannot change the Fiscal year in AJRW to 2012.

This is a standard behaviour built in Asset accounting.

Please do the above process and let me know.

Thanks

Manu

Edited by: manucs on Jan 2, 2012 12:52 PM

praveen_kumar1
Explorer
0 Kudos

Dear Nikkita,

You can have maximum two two fiscal years open at a time. At the moment you have Year 2101 and year 2011 open. Before you open the next fiscal year (2012), you should first close year 2010.

Regards,

Praveen

former_member220489
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

Yes, before doing AJRW for FY 2012, you must close FY 2010 in AJAB background mode.

Regards,

SRinu

former_member218048
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Thanks to you all for the valuable inputs

former_member218048
Active Participant
0 Kudos

I posted the pending depreciation for the closed year 2010. Now I tried the AJAB asset fiscal year closing for 2010. It has executed and however, the year is not closed. System says 'other errors' but no description of the error is available. How can I resolve this ?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi

Execute AJAB in background and see if you get any error log in job log option of the background job.

Else try to see if you can manually change the fiscal year as 2010 in OAAQ

Malathi

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear Niktha,

ok..do one thing,please check the data in Field -ABGJA in table T093B.(its nothing but the status of the last closed fiscal year)

Also check the data in field -LGJAHR in table T093C. This is for checking the status of Last fiscal year opened by the fiscal year change.(ie current fiscal year opened in Asset accounting)

Please let me know the status of all these above info..

But i have one more concern /worry about the process you have done to close this issue, why you have re-runned the depreciation postings for closed fiscal year again.This is against the accounting Principles.

Depreciation Postings to the already closed fiscal year would cause a different balance in G/L. This is not acceptable. As a general rule,fiscal year must be closed for all the Subledgers (including FI-AA) before closing the fiscal year in FI-G/L. This is one of the main Accounting Principles, and must always be known by users before proceeding to the fiscal year closure, as this incorrect handling can lead to serious inconsistencies in the G/L balance.

If the balance sheet is not testified, then only you can performed the depreciation postings for the prior years.

Any how,please let me know... .

Thanks

Manu

Edited by: manucs on Jan 3, 2012 8:20 AM

former_member218048
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Thanks for the inputs.

If I run depreciation for the year 2010 after opening the posting periods, and the books are updated, will the change in the retained earnings account automatically carried forward to the next years ? i.e. do I have to execute the balance carrfyward program again for the previous years ?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear Niktha,

Again iam saying, all these are against the Accounting Principles. If the balance sheet is not testified, then only you can performed the depreciation postings for the prior years and if you are doing the deprication postings for prior years, then the same will reflect in your retained earning account as well as your Trial balance.

Any how its not a best practice to do the GL balance carry forward actvitiy again and again.

Check with your Business and do accordingly.

Thanks

Manu

SAP GD.

former_member218048
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Thanks for all the inputs. I am extremely grateful to all of you..