Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SAP PP/PI connect MES

former_member183783
Contributor
0 Kudos

hi

anyone knows how to connect SAP to MES system?I am going to deploy a PP/PI for a process industry and want to connect it with MES...anyone have any example on it?thanks very much..

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (4)

Answers (4)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Monst,

another option to connect PP-PI to MES is to use IDocs or BAPI or some Kind of Adapter, f.ex. SAP JCo, SAP Business Connector, etc. There are lots of Information on that when searching SCN and SAP Website.

First of all for such an project you need to know the kind of data you want to send between the Systems, secondly you have to look at your budget to decide finally how you can Interface. Furthermore you have dependencies regarding the MES software.

I have already participated in several projects regarding interfaces between PP and MES and I always noticed that it was a job, most people did not like.

Best regards,

Nicole

Caetano
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Hi Nicole

I suggest you to open a new thread with your question.

This thread is very old and it is already closed.

BR

Caetano

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

PP-PI provides 'control recipe' functionality that facilitates spitting out all the required process order details to be transmitted to the MES system. The mechanism for such data transmission may take several forms from the technology/infrastructure standpoint. A simple example would be for the control recipe to be transmitted to a middleware via RFC call and then the middleware handling downstream handshake with the MES. This 'bridge' would be a two way street.

darcy_curtin
Explorer
0 Kudos

To elaborate on the previous posting, the simplest and most cost-effective way to connect an MES to SAP is to employ some commercial off-the-shelf product that has been specifically designed to do this. One such example can be found here: http://mes-to-sap.com.

rammohan_shenoy
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Monst,

Further to what my other friend recommended - want to inform you that SAP has one standard solution MII( Manfacturing integration & intelligence) which will enable to coonect to multiple MES system. This tool also provide KPI tracking of certain key manufacturing parameters.

However please keep in mind that client needs to purchase this MII licence.

thanks,

Ram

former_member183783
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,Rammond:

thanks very much...

MII is a package for SAP or a third party application?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Monst,

The fact that you have asked this question implies that you have never done this before. The solution will depend upon the requirements. The ways to integrate two software packages (SAP and some legacy MES) are limitless. You should not even be considering which method to use until you have an idea of what the client will want to integrate.

SAP has a software offering that is extremely robust, called Netweaver Process Integration. I can't think of any solution that couldn't be created using this software.

http://www.sdn.sap.com/irj/sdn/index?rid=/webcontent/uuid/a36de75d-0501-0010-1cad-a7b7650f2d11&langu...

http://help.sap.com/saphelp_nwpi711/helpdata/en/0f/80243b4a66ae0ce10000000a11402f/frameset.htm

There are various third party software offerings. Or, it is possible to create homegrown solutions using ABAP combined with, say, Operating system calls to move the data into and out of ERP. The list is endless.

Best Regards,

DB49

former_member183783
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,Dogboy:

yes..I never did this before..

I check SAP PP/PI documents and there are Process Instructions,which can be used to send SAP control information to MES(or third party applications)..I don't know how to make it...

you said there are limitless ways to make it..what's the most simple way to do it?I don't want to deploy Netweaver PI just for MES..Does SAP has some standard settings for PP/PI to connect with third party application?

thanks very much..

Former Member
0 Kudos

Monst,

What is the simplest way to do it? I hate to say it, but the simplest method is for you to engage consulting resources who have expertise in such implementations. I doubt that a satisfactory interface is something that a novice is going to be able to implement, based solely on reading a few forum posts.

For MII into, why don't you review the MII forum?

http://forums.sdn.sap.com/forum.jspa?forumID=237

Best Regards & good luck

DB49