Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Accelerate Depreciation Posting

former_member1279634
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Gurus,

We have around 5 assets acquired from previous years with 10 years Useful Life and depreciation will end by year 2016. The management wanted to fully depreciate these assets by December 2012. Kindly advise on the steps/procedures that should be done to finish the depreciation posting by the end of December 2012.

Thanks,

Ellicec

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

former_member205041
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Ellicec,

unplanned depreciation with transaction ABAA.

or

scrapping with transaction ABAVN.

regards Bernhard

former_member1279634
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Bernhard,

Kindly advise if it's ok to use Unplanned depreciation (ABAA) every month (until december) for these 5 assets.

Thanks,

Cecille

atif_farooq
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi:

In AFAMA please select dep key GWG and change base value to Base method 0011. It will proporinate the amount over 12 months. Make sure there are no existing assets with this dep key in live server otherwise it will also impact them.

As suggested by Bernhard you can also proceed with unplanned dep posting posting period wise which will be posted to GLs upon posting of dep run every month. There is no harm in doing so.

Regards

former_member1279634
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Atif,

We have 3 assets in live server that were using dep key GWG. However, these assets were all fully depreciated last December 2011. Can we just create a new dep key with base method 0011?

Regarding the suggestion of Bernhard to use Unplanned Depreciation every month, we will look into this option since what you've said is that there will be no harm if we do it.

Regards.

atif_farooq
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi:

Yes you can copy GWG in AFAMA and create new one and assign it the base value 0011 and then assign it to the asset master data for 5 assets you are talking about.

Regards

former_member1279634
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Atif,

I have created a new dep key ZGWG which I copied from GWG . I assigned this new dep key in the asset master but the depreciation remains the same. It doesn't divide the remaining book value into 12 months. Last Depreciation still shows to be on year 2013.

I have selected the following values in AFAMA:

DepType - Ord. Depreciation

Phase - From the start of depreciation

Base method - 0011 (Ordinary: percentage from useful life)

Decl.-bal. method - 001 (0.00x / 0.0000% / 0.0000%)

Prd cont - 008 (01/06/02/02)

Multilev.meth. - 044 (APC, any life)

Class - Straight-line depreciation

Chnge. method - Blank

Changeover%rate - Blank

Multiple shift - Increase in deprec., no increase in exp. useful life

Scrap value - Consideration is controlled by cutoff value key

Shutdown - No

Regards.

atif_farooq
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi:

You need to activate the dep key as well in AFAMA and also change the asset useful life in AS02 to the required one.

Regards

former_member1279634
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Atif,

I have activated the new dep key in AFAMA and assigned the same dep key in the asset master data but it still doesn't divide by 12 months.

There was a warning message upon activation:

ABC ZGWG N 1 : Check the treatment after the end of useful life

Message no. ACRSL018

Diagnosis

In multi-level method 044, you entered acquisition value or replacement value as the base value. For these base values, you should enter depreciation after the end of planned life,so that the system can, for example, depreciate to a book value of zero. Due to rounding or post-capitalization, these base values may leave a net book value after the end of the useful life. Without your entering a treatment for the end of depreciation, this net book value cannot be written off.

Procedure

Use a base method, in which the 'depreciation after end of planned life' indicator is set, in the depreciation key; and/or enter changeover method 5 (changeover after end of planned life) and a changeover key in the assignment of the depreciation key. The incorrect entry is in ABC ZGWG N 1 (chart of depreciation, depreciation key, depreciation type, depreciation phase).

atif_farooq
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi:

You need to change the useful life of asset first and then check the following for maintenance in dep key. For me its working.Please check the again the parameters in ZGWG as given under

Base Method..0011

Decl Bal..001

Prd Cont..003

Multilevel:003

Rest is ok. The message system issued is informtion message and can be ignored.

Regards

former_member220489
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

Simply note down the NBV as on 31.12.2011 for your said assets.

Ex: for asset A, NBV is $1200 on 31.12.2011, then post unplanned dep with ABAA for this asset to an amount of USD 100 on 31.01.2012, again $100 on 29.02.2012, again $100 on 31.03.2012....and so on

Since the above entries wont effect your GLs anyway, until and unless you run AFABN.

In case system is already calculating Planned Dep also for FY 2012, then adjust that amount with above $100 and post the remainting balance only in ABAA. So first you need to get planned dep for each month of FY 2012, and then reduce that much of amount from the $100 and post the remaining bal only as unplanned dep.

Ex: in case if planned dep for period 01 of Fy 2012 is $25, then you post $75 only on 31.01.2012 as unplanned dep and repeat the same for rest of the periods also.

Regards,

Srinu

former_member1279634
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Atif,

I already decrease the Useful life of the assets. It seems to spread the net book value into 12 months. However, the 1st month seems to be greater than the rest of the months.

For example

Jan - 2000

Feb - 1000

Mar - 1000

Apr- 1000

May- 1000

Jun- 1000

Jul- 1000

Aug- 1000

Sep- 1000

Oct- 1000

Nov- 1000

Dec- 1000

Thanks.

former_member1279634
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Srinu,

With the option that you have given. Do i still need to change the Useful life of the asset in AS02 before executing Unplanned depreciation?

Thanks,

Ellicec

atif_farooq
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi:

So whats issue now..Your problem seems to be resolved .. In the option given by Srinu you do not need to change the useful of asset.

Regards

former_member1279634
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Srinu and Atif,

Thanks for the help. Problem resolved.

former_member220489
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

According to my solution, you dont need to do any changes in the asset master data at all.

in another words, just note down the NBV as on 31.12.2012 and devide it by 12 and post that amounts to each period of Fy 2012 as unplanned dep.

Regards,

Srinu

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

For whatever reason we no longer have GWG on our system.  I'm trying to rebuild it by this post, but I am also missing the standard settings for these.  Will some kind soul please reply with them?

Prd Cont..003

Multilevel:003

Gratefully,

Jennifer

atif_farooq
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

If you want system to fully exhaust depreciation on all these 5 assets by year 2012,then you can use dep key GWG and assign it to the asset master data. Do it in december 2012,system will post the whole dep in the month of december.

Regards

former_member1279634
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Atif,

We wanted to divide the remaining net book value into 12 months. With this, we want to run the depreciation from January to December 2012 such that at the end of 2012.

Thanks,

Ellicec