Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SAPJVM Installation for SAP environments

nelis
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi !

I can't seem to find any information on the installation of SAP JVM in a SAP environment. Now I don't need to be told how to install it in Linux, that I already know.

Is there a preferred way or documentation/note that I'm not aware of on how to install it for SAP ? If there isn't there should be, otherwise there is no standard for support purposes or does SAP not really care where you install it as long as your environment is setup correctly ? ...in which case I would install it like any Sun JDK.

Thanks.

Nelis

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

former_member266290
Participant
0 Kudos

HI

You may find following document links useful:

1) https://service.sap.com/instguides --> SAP JVM Switch Tool --> Guide corresponding to your platform

This guide provides step by step procedure.

Also following notes will be useful regarding SAP JVM:

Note 1665953 - SAP JVM Switch Tool Composite Note

Note 1495160 - SAP JVM as replacement for Partner JDKs 1.4.2

Note 1603093 - SAP JVM 4.1 parameters NetWeaver 2004 and 7.0

Note 1367498 - SAP JVM installation prerequisites

Hope this helps you.

Regards

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

nelis
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

I'm not happy with how SAP has implemented their own JVM and hopefully we will see improvements in the near future..

• None of the above notes or documentation, including the Linux distribution installation notes give instructions or a standard on installing the SAP JVM as there was with the "soon to be obsolete" IBM/Oracle JDK's. It is not difficult to add an installation script to the SAP JVM to detect the distribution and install it in a specific manner or location.

• More annoyingly - I have just completed a Solution Manager 7.1 installation where they explicitly give you the option to use the SAP JVM during the install but the installation fails because when it comes to starting the JAVA Engine it has been configured with the IBM JDK incompatible parameters. I find this totally unnecessary, if the install allows you to select the SAP JVM it should use the SAP JVM parameters ..perhaps someone can explain this one to me. For those who run into this issue, you will have to use configtool to change the parameters according to note 1603093 before you can continue the installation and complete it successfully.

Marking post as answered but you are welcome to comment.

--

Nelis

former_member266290
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Nelis,

I will just quote the few lines from Chapter 5th from the guide:

"__5.1Installing SAP JVM 4__

Procedure:

2. Open a command shell and extract the archive as follows:
For SAP systems based on SAP NetWeaver 7.0 EHP2, enter the following commands:

SAPCAR -xf <path to copied archive file>/SAPJVM4.SAR -R /usr/sap/<SAPSID>/SYS/exe/uc/platform"

Only installing SAPJVM is as easy as installing IBM JDK or SUN JDK ( instead of gunzip and tar -xvf use sapcar -xvf) and set the environment variables.

In fact, I have installed SAP JVM on my desktop and use it for SAP download manager and it just works.

I have installed solution manager 7.1 on Windows 2008 R2 using SAPJVM for diagnostic agent as recommended in installation guide. It went without any problems.

And yes, you will need do to some extra things for switching to SAPJVM.

Regards

-Vijay

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Nelis

I am having exact same issue as you did. The only thing i did different was that I installed the SAP JVM 6.1 prior to running sapinst and yes did have to apply the changes as per note 1603903 however still the java VM is not strating up.

I am wondering if I should use the default IBM SDK and go through the install steps where the installer sets up the SAP JVM..

Maybe the Java 6.1 is not compatible with SOlman 7.1 and will probably leave it to teh installer..

Former Member
0 Kudos

Nelis,

Forgot to mention in my earlier post , just curious ,which version of SAP JVM was installed by SAPINST ? ( SAP JVM4.1,5.1 or 6.1 ? ).

So far I can only find notes for SAP JVM4.1..

Much appreciate any feedback on this..

Thanks

-Alan

nelis
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Alan,

I installed the SAP JVM 4.1 to the same location on my Suse Linux server as the the IBM JVM would install: /usr/lib64/jvm then in that directory I created a symlink sapjvm_4 to the directory which is the version of the JVM. In my case sapjvm_4.1.016. I then set my JAVA_HOME environment variable to /usr/lib64/jvm/sap_jvm4. This allows me to easily upgrade it in future.

The diagnostics agent for SM 7.1 uses SAP JVM 6 which it will install automatically for you.

When the install gets to the stage of trying to start the j2ee server it fails but you can simply then exit the install, apply the parameters as per note 1603093 using the configtool and then start the install again and continue(do not reset it).

The advice Vijay gave applies only if you are upgrading an existing JVM and you certainly don't want to replace your JVM 6 with JVM 4 as that wouldn't work with the latest diagnostics agent. So to clarify, you need SAP JVM 6 for the diagnostics agent and you need SAP JVM 4 for the JAVA Server in SM 7.1

Hope that helps.

Nelis