cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What is the "Session Client"?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi.

Could you please let me know what the "Session Client" is?

It can be given to each user, and seems to be used for "the filtering in content models".

This might be a basic question, but I don't really understand how I can use it.

I could not find any descriptions in the HANA manuals.

Thank you,

-mamoru

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

lbreddemann
Active Contributor

HI Mamoru,

the "session client" is a NetWeaver heritage.

SAP ERPs data model allows the separation of clients (business clients - not pieces of software) in a way that the same technical system can be used by several clients (business clients) while having all data separated.

That way a user "JONES" in ciient "100" can only access data from client "100" and not from any other client.

These clients can be created by the system admins at will and differ from customer system to customer system.

Now if you want to create an analysis model for ERP in HANA it's obviously required to take care of this client modelling.

Our developers decided to handle this requirement by creating a session variable $$CLIENT$$ that can be assigned to a HANA user.

Whenever this user logs on to HANA this variable is set for this session and the current value is used in the analytic view, attribute view or wherever you used it.

For more information check the SQL reference manual at "SESSION_CONTEXT", "ALTER SESSION SET..." and "ALTER USER SET PARAMETER..."

regards,

Lars

Answers (0)