cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

One Material Multiple Descriptions

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi All,

We have one material and the description of this material is different across the two plants that we have. How to map this? Please find the example below

Material A - Plant 1: Mobile Phone 1122

Material A - Plant 2: Handy Phone 1122

Now these descriptions we are finding a way to make it uniform across the company by clubbing the descriptions of both the plants. Now when I have to raise the PO / sales order and take a print of that then I'm facing issue it is displaying the text of both the plants in the print outputs which the client is not ok with.

SOLUTION SUGGESTED

In the material master additional data we are planning to use different language keys and give different descriptions so that I can use these descriptions at the time of taking print outputs. i.e. One language key for sales output and one language key for purchase outputs.

Is this ok?? or any other better solutions.

Regards

Manish

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

JL23
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

a language in a material master relates to the communication language in customer and vendor master.

if you have languages EN and Z1 in your material master, then EN is used for eg, vendors with EN as communication language and Z1 is used for vendors with Z1 as communication language.

if both plants procure this material at the same vendor, then they communicate both with the language that is maintained in the vendor master. If EN is in the vendor master, then Z1 will not be pulled from material master.

There is no plant specific material description.

former_member42743
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Jurgen is correct and I doubt your language solutoin will give you satisfactory results.

The question is what do you want your customers to see? Forget about the internal material description. It shouldn't matter if internally your people see Handy Phone/Mobile Phone. Club the descriptions together.

Or.. this would be an amazing concept... ask the client to standardize on one or the other!!!!

What you call it doesn't matter. It's just another item in the system. Call it 632933 if you want to. The employees will get used to it quickly and you won't spend a lot of money to come up with some custom solution.

The important thing is what customers of the client see and what is printed on the paperwork to them. And that can be easily handled by standard SAP using info records. Have you looked at them?

What is the business benefit in terms of $$$$$ to keep two separate internal descriptions? The key here is internal. You can make all the external descriptions and marketing campagins you want.

If you want another alternative, you could use material classification, (type 001). Create two characteristics. PLANT_1234_MTRL_DESC and PLANT_9876_MTRL_DESC. Define the respective plant descriptions in the materials classification view. Modify all your paperwork to pull the appropriate description. You can search via classification in most material search screens. You'll still see the same clubbed material descriptions however on line. I don't like this solution nor do I endorse it.

FF

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks all I got the solutions...

tejyadav
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

What is the solution?

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

hi

Material desscription field is at Client Level not as per the plant level.

Former Member
0 Kudos

HI,

What will be the effect of my maintaining different text for different language key. I will use this text only for print output programs for sales orders / purchase order.

Regards

Manish

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear,

Even if you matinain texts based on language - your material have one commong description at client level. Even in some standard reports and few transactions language wise description will not displayed.

As per your question - 2 different materials already exists in system and now want to club both.

Try go with defining valuation type for material as 1. Mobile 2. Handy. By this you can handle stocks separate, valuation separate and even in reports you can get view of related valuation type.

Regards,

Syed Hussain.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thank you for the inputs, valuation is a new input... please let me know the language key effect on the system transaction.

former_member182609
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

How many materials do you have like this ? and need to maintain the text in two diffrent texts.Try one more option create one custom table where material needs to maintain different texts for diffrent plants.In print program as per plant selection system should pick the material text in custom table and display on delivery note.This will not have any impact as you can see original material text in sales and purchase orders.For printing you can get text from custom table as per your requirement.Check with ABAP person on this.