cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Transporting KM documents and TREX indexes

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

We are planning to transport KM contents with folder permissions and their asscoiated TREX indexes to a new set of EP-KMC and TREX system.

Can KM migration tool be used for transporting contents from one server to another with permissions.. Or shud we use ICE? Is there any recommended way ?

How do we transport serach indexes from one server TREx installion to another of the same version..

Any help ?

Regards

Bharathwaj

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

detlev_beutner
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Bharathwaj,

At the moment, the normal way to transport KM content (including ACL) is the ICE way. There are some known restrictions, see http://help.sap.com/saphelp_nw04/helpdata/en/e2/61701deb253242bea2ebeafa190e83/frameset.htm , but if you can live with that, it's the most straight forward way.

I'm unsure if the migration tool can do that / how easy that would be; never used it.

A real KM transport tool will be part of the next major release...

TREX indexes are not transportable at the moment. You have to re-create them on the target system.

Hope it helps

Detlev

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi ,

I was wondering if a workaround was possible for TREX indexes. Would copying the folder contents of index folder and creating indexes with the same name in KM do the job ?

Regards

Bharathwaj

bettina_knauss
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Hi Bharathwai,

It is actually possible to transport the indexes, refer to note 975965 or 915673 or TREX admin Doku to read about export/import.py.

The problem is, that there is no way to guarantee the consistency between the transported KM content and the indexes (check if stuff marked as indexed is really in the index and referable from the index).

It is a not supported procedure and it was not done on project side (no that I know of) as a workaround. Reindexing is unfortunately necessary,

best regards,

Bettina

detlev_beutner
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Bharathwaj,

So as Bettina said, of course on the pure TREX side, a "transport" (copying) is possible, but fragile.

Anyhow, for the reasons Bettina gave, I would never go this way. The only reasonable "transport" I see would be to transport the index settings, but not the indexes themselves. But, not supported at the moment.

Hope it helps

Detlev

detlev_beutner
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Even if this is historical, I would like to add some information, as this is not really documented anywhere in detail (and has changed since my answers in 2006!).

1. To transport the index definitions from one portal to another, you can use the CM Config Transport (Transporting Configuration Data - Knowledge Management - SAP Library). The index definitions can be seen (only when the export mode is switched on!!!!) under Global Services --> Related Areas --> Indexes --> Trex Index. Select the ones you wish to transport, "Export", activate "Include referenced configuration objects" (!!! important !!!).
  2. This transport package can be imported on a different portal installation (with a different TREX backend). When you import the package, the TREX index definitions are created on the portal side. When you reindex these indexes, the indexes are created on the TREX backend, too.
  3. What is NOT transported by this procedure are permissions on the indexes. The permissions are hold within a hidden "indexmanagement" repository, and without programming approaches one also cannot set this repository to non-hidden. So, there is no transport mechanism for the permissions by standard means. Anyhow, if one starts to develop something, it gets quite easy for experienced KM devleopers to export / import the permission settings for all indexes (index.getRID() leads to the corresponding index entry within the repository, permissions are maintained on that object).
  4. In any case, someone who transports indexes the way I have described above should really know what he/she is doing. There must be no conflicting names etc, so in case of any trouble, one should feel advanced enough to understand and attack that trouble. This is nothing for beginners!

Hope it helps some people

Detlev