cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How BDLS works exactly?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

I've run BDLS report on my system after the system refresh and by coincidence I found following fact:

In table EDP13 there are two columns that contain logical names - RCVPRN and RCVPOR. But only RCVPRN column has been modified by BDLS report. The other column is still having old values.

<b>Why is this happening? Is this ok?</b>

In help.sap.com documentation I've found following information:

<i>The report performs the following steps:

1. Determines all the active, transparent database tables whose fields have references to the following domains: LOGSYS, EDI_PARTNUM

2. Converts the field values to the new logical system names

3. Updates the database</i>

I am not sure how to understand this.

<b>Does this mean that table has to have a foreign key properly defined to be correctly converted? Cannot this lead to inconsistency? If so - is BDLS reliable?

Can anyone please explain how exacly BDLS report works?</b>

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi John,

Particularly for table EDP13 it is not a bug. This table stores partner profile outbound parameters and RCVPOR is the receiver- so I think it should not be changed.

Otherwise in general - Yes, BDSL is not reliable. SAP Clearly states: "Do not use it for production systems as it is not guarantee it will convert all tables"

BDLS works by scanning only all transparent tables and checking all fields (unless you explicitly restrict the tables range). If a feels has domain LOGSYS or EDI_PARNUM it is checked for the old Log. Sys. Name and replaced by the new one.

It does not work in the following cases:

-if an applications uses tables that do not reference these domains

-if data is saved as part of fields in cluster or pool tables

-If the new logical system name already exists in the system, it can cause errors for tables in which the logical system is key field or unique index (for example, COFIO1)

Regards

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi all,

while doing system refresh for various systems like sap bw, sap pi , do we have to to bdls for all the logical systems defined in V_TBDLS, or only specific logical names.

Br

VB

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

As far as i know i could throw some light on this.BDLS converts one logical system to another,which is not present in ur current machine after system copy.say for ex our prd server with logical system name SAPPRD111 and u performed the system refresh to quality..after the system refresh the client in the quality will also have the same logical system name which must be coverted in the old stage SAPQAS111.For this u need to perform BDLS.first running this tcode it will check the dependant tables,where there will be feild to logical system name.then it will ask for the confirmation to change it to the final stage..before executing the program u will be promptedt a popup window where it will show the details of the transaction bdls.

Kind regards

Umesh K

Former Member
0 Kudos

Yes - this is common knowledge. What I am interested in is how BDLS works on the low-level. That last question is connected to the previous ones. How it is possible that BDLS missed some logical names to convert? Is this purpose or error? How does it really work?