Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

automatic forwarding

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

Hope you can help,

I'm trying to use automatic forwarding in the office settings SO12 for a decision step in my workflow. I have setup automatic forwarding to my external address user@hotmail.com.

When the workitem arrives in my inbox I expect an email to be sent to my email address. This doesn't happen.

I have tried sending email from SBWP, and that works ok, so the SCOT setup is fine.

Any good advice?

Best regards

Otto Frost

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

pokrakam
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello Otto,

The reason I wasn't sure you fully understand the difference is your question. To recap:

> I'm trying to use automatic forwarding in the office

> settings SO12 for a decision step in my workflow.

A decision step is a work item. There is no email involved.

> When the workitem arrives in my inbox I expect an

> email to be sent to my email address. This doesn't

> happen.

Exactly: this is because it is a work item. There is no mail involved - where is the mail supposed to come from?

The document you refer to talks about workflow notifications. These would presumably take the form of mails but would have to be sent separately. This has to be specifically built into the system. This was more common on older systems (< 4.6), but these days it's easier to send mail directly rather than using forwarding.

The easiest way to do you're after can be done in two ways: There is a report RSWUWFML2 which can send notifications directly to a user's email address - no need for forwarding. Alternatively you can use a sendmail step in your WF before the decision step. Here too you could specify an email address.

If you want to make sure forwarding works, please try the test I described earlier.

Cheers,

Mike

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello, thanks for your quick answer.

What does automatic forwarding do, when you have filled in an external address or internet address to forward to? As you can enter an email address, I think a reasonable assumption is that something is sent to that address?

The good thing with forwarding is that the users can themselves turn it on or off.

It is of course possible to build in sending of email in the workflow, but making it flexible, also means more complexity.

The report you mentioned seems to do the trick!

Best regards

Otto

pokrakam
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Otto,

It only forwards what ends up in the 'Documents' subfolder of SBWP. These can be generated outside of WF (e.g. system error notifications), or if users send mail directly from SAP. You may e.g. have a program that sends a mail to a SAPOffice distribution list or whatever - there users can choose to forward these.

You can also set up auto forwarding globally in SO16 -> Tab Mail Sys. Grp, Send to home address. In workflow this was more relevant in older versions where internet connectivity was pretty low key and everything was primarily within SAP. RSWUWFML2 is very well documented, and if you're on the newest NW04 versions you should use extended notifications which offer even more functionality.

Cheers,

Mike

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

check the auto forwarding for workitems/workflow in the setting menu.

regards,

Sandeep Josyula

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

I have checked the office settings for forwarding, it's correct, however it's set to external mail and not to internet mail, even though I did choose internet mail. I've tried changing it several times, but it always ends up as external mail. I have tried both SO36 and SO12, with the same result. I have also applied an oss note 834644, but it's still not working.

pokrakam
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello Otto,

A work item is not a mail and a mail is not a work item. Auto forwarding is for SAP <b>Mail</b>. A work item is something which is executed from the SAP inbox and cannot be sent to Outlook. If you e.g. from another user go to SAPOffice inbox and click on 'new message' and send something to your userid then that should forward as you expect.

What you may be after is substitution - this is the ability of one person being able to see another's work items and execute them. In SBWP goto <i>Settings -> Workflow Settings -> Maintain Substitute</i>

Hope that helps.

Mike

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

I know that email and workitems are different things. What I want is to send an email to my outlook inbox, when a workitem arrives in the SAP inbox. That way I know when I have to logon to SAP to check my SAP inbox and execute workitems.

I want to do what is described in this document.

http://rwd.tennessee.edu/content/sbwp_set_automatic_email_forwarding/wi/postscript/index.pdf

It doesn't work. Maybe I should OSS to SAP.

Best regards

Otto