cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Crystal Reports - Create New Connection Problem

Former Member
0 Kudos

I am trying to create a new connection to a test Oracle database (pTest). I go into the database expert > OLE DB (ADO) > > Microsoft OLE DB Provider for Oracle > enter my service, userID and password. This is the error message I get :

Logon failed

Details: ADO Error Code 0x80004005

Source: Microsoft OLE DB Provider for Oracle

Description: ORA-12203 : TNS: unable to connect to destination

Native Error: 12203 [database vendor code: 12203]

Now, the intesting problem is I can connect to the dev version of this database without any problems. (pDev). I was able to connect other test databases as well. I am not sure what I am doing wrong.

By the way, I can go into to Toad and connect to pTest, run queries, etc. etc.

Thanks in advance.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

0 Kudos

Hi Burak,

You can't use Microsoft's Oracle driver. They stopped support Oracle as of Oracle 7. Use Oracle ODBC or OLE DB Provider or download CR's Data Direct 5.3 drivers.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/ms713590(v=vs.85).aspx

Then it should all work for you.

Don

Former Member
0 Kudos

yes, this worked. thanks

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

former_member183750
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

The error is being passed from Oracle through the CR database engine unaltered. E.g.; have a look at Oracle documentation to see what the error means. I came up with the following:

ORA-12203: TNS:Unable to connect to destination

Cause: Invalid TNS address supplied or destination is not listening.

This error can also occur because of underlying network

transport problems.

- Ludek

Former Member
0 Kudos

This problem happens at my machine. Another programmer can connect to pTest without any issues.

former_member183750
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Understood. But that still does not mean that the client is configure and installed correctly on your computer. All that proves is that the server is healthy and the other developer has the client configured correctly.

- Ludek