Did you mean: 

crystal reports viewer with refresh option

former_member203132
Participant
0 Kudos

HI All

I am using the SAP Crystal report viewer

we are missing the option of refreshig the data with the viewer

any recomendation on other viewer tools?

or maybe I need t do somthing in order it to work?

Thanks

Adir

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (6)

Answers (6)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi All,

I found a way where you can refresh the data but only once with CR 2013 Viewer, so every time you can only refresh once. Then you need to close the report and reopen the report. This only work with report with prompt parameter selection that required all data. When your file initially have a save report, it will display the saved report. If you change the report range to "no end", the viewer will refresh with the latest information of all range into the report.

This is not the correct feature intended by the developer but it works in a way. You may want to try and see if applicable.

Former Member
0 Kudos

In my opinion it is best to just simply send the report to yourself if you want to have a closer look at the file. Maybe send the file to your email as a excel file every time you want to view the latest version of it.

Former Member
0 Kudos

The purpose of the viewer is to allow end users to be able to see static content in the native Crystal Reports format, which allows for features, such as:  drill down, interactive parameters and interactive sorting through bound sort controls.  Think of it like being able to export a report to .pdf--what many report writers do when manually distributing reports to non-Crystal Reports developers--but with many more features!  This is especially true with .rptr (Crystal Reports read only format) exports.

That being said, if the recipient of the .rpt file has a license seat in the BI platform and has the appropriate permissions then the report can be refreshed after connecting to the BI platform.

Basically, the intent of the the viewer is to be the Crystal Reports equivalent of a .pdf reader.

Former Member
0 Kudos

I have a similar situation is that my crystal report view does not refresh as server data being updated.

It is from the same data source.

I am to go back to the report builder to update the data once more time so that the report viewer will show the new data.

Is there any way to fix it ?

DellSC
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Reports do NOT automatically refresh as new data is added to the database.  They are a "snapshot" of what the data looked like at the time the report was run. 

-Dell

former_member183750
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello Adir

Refreshing should not be an issue. Connecting to a different datasource will be (the Viewer is not designed for that and you'd have to create your own application using the .NET SDK).

E.g.; please confirm that this is a refresh issue when connecting to the same datasource as what the report was designed off of.

- Ludek

Follow us on Twitter

Got Enhancement ideas? Try the SAP Idea Place

Share Your Knowledge in SCN Topic Spaces

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Ludek,

I designed a report for the office in my CR 11 full version in my computer connecting the report to Access dataset. My manager want to see this report on his computer using CR viewer 11 connecting to the same dataset. Would you please tell me how does he get his refresh button working?

NOTE: I will be the one updating the access dataset time to time and he is the one want to see the report by pressing the refresh button periodically.

Thanks,

Brian

ido_millet
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Brian, I don't think the free SAP viewer would allow you to refresh data.
On the other hand, at least one of the 3rd-party viewers listed at Crystal Reports viewer comparison, Crystal Reports scheduler comparison and other utilities ( viewer...

has auto-refresh functionality. So the manager would be able to monitor the information by clicking the Refresh button or by letting the auto-refresh process do its thing.

former_member183750
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

A bit of a correction. The refresh will work, with Bo / BI repository. Other than that, it's a Saved Data viewer only. E.g.; see  the post from Kurt Reinhardt.

At one point there was the intent to make the viewer refresh any datasource but I guess that intent was never implemented ( I tested this with CR 2013).

So. Your options are:

1) Ido's suggestion

2) Kurt's suggestion - if you have BI / BO

3) My suggestion re. creating a simple viewer of your own using the .NET or Java SDK

4) Send your boss reports with saved data

5) Get a CR designer for your boss (Eval can be downloaded from here: SME Free Trials | SME Software | SAP)

6) Upgrade to CR 2013. (The upgrade is available from here: https://store.sap.com/sap/cpa/ui/resources/store/html/SolutionDetails.html?pid=0000000133&catID=ANA&...)

- Ludek

ido_millet
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

For a viewer with refresh capabilities, consider one of the 3rd-party viewers listed at http://kenhamady.com/bookmarks.html

former_member203132
Participant
0 Kudos

which one???there are lots of them

thanks

ido_millet
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

That web site has a detailed comparison of all of them plus a link to request recommendations.