Career Corner Discussions
Join the conversation in the Career Corner group to ask career-related questions, find approaches to building skills, and seek career advancements.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Learning SAP Basis Administration

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi everyone,

I would like to get your opinion about starting my career in SAP. I am an Building Architect with no experience in IT or SAP. I enrolled to SAP Basis Netweaver Administration. My wife is an ABAP programmer and she thought me a little bit of ABAP and Security Administration. I am a bit familiar with SAP screens.

Do you think it would be easy for me to learn Basis by attending training? Is there any other way to learn it easily?

Thanks for your help.

Marlon R.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

JPReyes
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi  Marlon,

I wrote a blog about this sometime ago, You can read,

http://scn.sap.com/community/netweaver-administrator/blog/2010/05/11/back-to-basis

Regards, Juan

31 REPLIES 31

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Marlon,

Yes formal but it has to be good ;training would help and so would having a decent idea of ABAP and Security.. I will toss in having a bit of functional knowledge as well.

The important thing to know and appreciate  (and this is something I told a bunch guys and gals when I trained them in Basis a  few months back 🙂 ) is that SAP Basis is the very basis on which SAP stands and hence the name !! It is the basic element. So it is very important a highly critical.

SAP Basis is huge and includes knowledge in following areas SAP application, OS,DB.Haadware,Networking etc. Though all of it is not needed when you start.Many things you would learn with experience and no training can teach you those things. Again there are various SAP applications,operating systems and databases.

Basis is very challenging and at the same time if you are good can be highly rewarding.

So welcome to our World 🙂

Regards.

Ruchit.

0 Kudos

Hi Ruchit,

Thanks for taking time to answer my questions. I just enrolled SAP Netweaver Systems Administration at Khoj-inc.com. I will study hard to get my certification in SAP. I hope I could ask questions from you about Basis issue encase I need help.

Marlon

0 Kudos

HI

read books check in the net for PDF guide

start with the basic

and u always can ask question here or to mail to me

Naor

0 Kudos

Hi Naor,

Thank you for your help. I really appreciate it.

Marlon R

0 Kudos

This message was moderated.

0 Kudos

HEY iam new at sap am still student and iam interesting in learning sap basis plz can u help me with any material iam in 4th year faculty of information system

0 Kudos

can i get your contact no. so that  I can avail some benefits of asking questions on sap.

0 Kudos

Hi Ruchit,

I am working as an ABAP consultant.I want to learn SAP Basis too.Can you tell me how can I learn it?If you have things to share please reply.

thanks

JPReyes
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi  Marlon,

I wrote a blog about this sometime ago, You can read,

http://scn.sap.com/community/netweaver-administrator/blog/2010/05/11/back-to-basis

Regards, Juan

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Juan,

I read your blog and it boost my confidence to continue the training and work hard inorder to learn SAP Basis.

Thanks,

Marlon

0 Kudos

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Gaurav,

Thanks for the encouragement. Thank you for offering your help. I will definitely send you an email encase I need help on Basis issue.

Marlon

0 Kudos

The above link is not working

Former Member
0 Kudos

Marlon,

Here are a few more blogs you might find useful.

These are related to Basis and/or beginning to learn SAP

These blogs might give you some context as to what a "typical" path to SAP looks like (as much as there is a typical path):

There are a few blogs by other authors which I also think will be very helpful for you

I have a few more blogs which you might find interesting  as well.

Normally my advice for folks is to use the skills they already have to slowly migrate into the job they want. In your case, however, architecture has so little in common with SAP you have no choice but to fully commit and hope for the best if this is truly what you want to do.

Hope this helps!

Best regards,

--Tom

0 Kudos

Hi Tom,

I read your blog and I think I have to work harder in order to learn everything about Basis.

Thanks,

Marlon

former_member192421
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi All,

I need your suggestions for my thread:

http://scn.sap.com/thread/3185933

Please reply to this.

Any kind of help is much appriciated.

Cheers!!

Rajkumar

Former Member
0 Kudos

hi all, i want learn SAP basic ......... can u send me some refrence book or note

thanks and regards,

satheesh pandian

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Marlon,

There are many blogs which can assist you to start with basic BASIS activity.

Like.

1. SAP Basis Tutorials

2. Joey's Basis/Netweaver Blog

3.  SAP BASIS

etc.

these blogs can act as startup training for you.

Regards

Pavan Nagathan

Former Member
0 Kudos

I also have fearful thoughts after switching my career from semiconductor world into the SAP basis world without any IT knowledge but indeed the forum have help me in terms of understanding concepts and theories, but i guess nothing beats to putting what I have read into hands on work which I hope i can have more exposure. Currently just alot of reading up on technical knowledge...

Hello all!

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi All,

Its not a very difficult to learn SAP. Everything is ready to available.

So you need to identify which module you can choose.

If you are not have any domain experience then its difficult to go to any SD, MM, PP, PM etc..

Because it will take time to understand the process. So if someone new to SAP my suggestion is go for technical module.

Here you have BASIS and ABAP are the two technical module. If you have good logical skill. Like write programs like c, c++ any language.  Then go for ABAP.

ABAP is the simplest, easiest and powerful language compare with other languages.

BASIS is administration part. You don't required the programming skill. But here you required the Analytical is 95% required.

Its similar to System Administrator. Difference is System Administrator will work in Windows, Linux,Unix (Operating System ) Environment. BASIS person do the same in SAP Environment.

System Administrator(OS)                           Basis Administrator(SAP)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1) Installation of OS                                      1)   Installation of SAP                          

2) Other software(java/net)                             2)   Other(EP,GRC)Sap related Software

3) Service Pack                                            3)   Patch Updation(90 days)

4) Networking                                               4)   TMS(Transport Management System)

5) Troubleshooting                                        5)   Troubleshooting

6) Monitoring                                                6)   CCMS(Central Computing

Management System) Monitoring

7) User Administration                                  7)    SAP Security(R/3)

1. Role Management
                    2. User Administration
                    3. Missing Authorization
                    4. Reports

😎 Printer Configuration                                 😎   Spool Administration

9) DBA                                                        9)   DB Admin

10)                                                             10)  Client Administration

11)                                                             11) Post Installation Activity

SAP Netweaver Administrator

-------------------------------------------

Don't go to Netweaver Administrator directly. Better to go basis first. then learn Netweaver Administrator.

for your understanding I am not elaborating.

Same task done by BASIS administrator in browser then he becomes the Netweaver Administrator.

Regards,

Kiran Kumar

0 Kudos

0 Kudos

Hi Kumar,

Appreciate your detailed information about the SAP Basis Admin. I'm currently here in Singapore and will be part of a SAP sizing project. I currently gearing up to be SAP admin in few months time, I would like to ask any advise on how to get SAP certification and training in Singapore.

Regards,
Richie Calderon

0 Kudos

Hi Kiran,

Hope your doing good, thanks for your detailed information about the SAP basis Administrator.

I am working as Windows System Administrator with 7 years of experience, now I am planning to learn SAP Basis.

Am I eligible to do SAP Basis course?

My worries is if I switch my carrier to SAP Basis then do I need to apply for a job as fresher? Will my 7 years of System Administrator experience will go in vain?

I look forward to hearing from you.

Many Thanks,

Shashi

former_member195313
Participant
0 Kudos

Yo can check some SAP Basis Info pages..There are a lot of..Like

http://www.sapbasisinfo.com

etc...

Former Member
0 Kudos

Former Member
0 Kudos

former_member687424
Discoverer
0 Kudos

Former Member
0 Kudos

former_member634811
Discoverer

so many documentations are available in google now sap hana is hot cake in market

former_member634811
Discoverer
0 Kudos

Good Starting..

You can seen some basic tcodes as well

sm50, sm51, st06,st04 st02 etc and understand their functions

solomonsuraj
Explorer
0 Kudos

There are lots of SAP basis resourses in online and ebooks to study and prepare it. Compare all take notes and learn it.

All the best.