Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Conversion number into word

former_member182342
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi all,

I have requirement from my client that i want to show the number in word format in webi where number is coming from backend.

For Ex. 10000 it should display Ten thousand.

Please let me know if there is any function in webi or  is it possible in webi ??

If it is possible then how to achieve this ??

Waiting for your reply,

Thanks and Regards,

Anish

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

graham_sturmy
Active Participant
0 Kudos

You should be able to get the database to do it.  In the Universe create an object that has a character type rather than number.  Use the appropriate database conversion to convert it to a string in the 'select' part of the universe object:

e.g. for oracle it would be something like:

to_char(mytable.mycol,'<format>')

The <format> is optional...

For your source database you would need to look up the function/format to do it.

Thanks,

Graham

UPDATE: Actually - even this isn't what you're trying to do.  You want the REAL words, so even this isn't possible (unless it is database function for your database!)

graham_sturmy
Active Participant
0 Kudos

OK - Seems I wasn't being so crazy....

Seems you CAN do it on the database side if your DB has a function for it:

Here is an example for and Oracle DB:

If the column is SAL (i.e. for salary):

TO_CHAR(TO_DATE(SAL,'J'),'JSP')

e.g. directly on the DB it would be:

select sal, (to_char(to_date(sal,'j'), 'jsp')) from emp;

I found this explanation at:

http://asktom.oracle.com/pls/apex/f?p=100:11:0::::P11_QUESTION_ID:18305103094123

former_member188911
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

the problem is how can you intervene on the results of calculations done at WebI level, there you have no control over this.

However it seems that the Calculation Extensions have been reintroduced as from SP4 so you could create a sort of user defined formula that could do the job, need to find the official confirmation to this, unless you Graham can find it 

former_member182342
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Graham Sturmy,

Thanks for your valuable reply.

former_member182342
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

Thanks Simone for ur Valuable reply.

Regards,

Anish

former_member188911
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

My pleasure!

please note, i got the reply that the Calculation Extensions are not supported yet, hopefully in a future SP

thanks

Simone

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Anish,

Use the function formatnumber().

Syntax:

string FormatNumber(number;format_string)

former_member188911
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

He needs to transform the numbers into letters which FormatNumber() can't do...

There is no such feature in Web Intelligence because it is intended for analyzing data and normally it is not needed to have the numbers transformed to words

You may wish to submit an enhancement in https://ideas.sap.com , if this requirement is absolutely necessary you may wish to use Crystal Reports

Thanks

former_member182342
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi all ,

Thanks for Reply Ravi Shankar. But it not possible by using formatnumber function.As per Simone stated I will have to submit an enhancement in https://ideas.sap.com.

Thanks Simone for your valuable reply.

Thanks and Regards,

Anish