OPBEL,

VKONT,

VTREF,

HVORG,

TVORG,

SUM ( BETRH ) AS BETRH

FROM DFKKOP

GROUP BY OPBEL, VKONT, VTREF, HVORG, TVORG;

I don't want to overwhelm the client (front-end, service consumer, ABAP application using a secondary database connection, whatever) with the entire results set but retrieve and display it in chunks of 100. I want to allow forward and backward navigation in the result set: Show me the first 100, then the second 100, the third 100, then back to the second 100, and so on.

I've found two things that come close to what I want:

1) SELECT ... LIMIT ... OFFSET

SELECT * FROM BUT000 -- 1st 100

LIMIT 100;

SELECT * FROM BUT000 -- 2nd 100

LIMIT 100 OFFSET 100;

SELECT * FROM BUT000 -- 3rd 100

LIMIT 100 OFFSET 200;

SELECT * FROM BUT000 -- 2nd 100 again

LIMIT 100 OFFSET 100;

Disadvantage: Each time I want to retrieve a package, the query is executed again.

2) ADBC package handling

DATA:

lr_sql      TYPE REF TO cl_sql_statement,

lr_result   TYPE REF TO cl_sql_result_set,

lr_results  TYPE REF TO data.

CREATE OBJECT lr_sql

EXPORTING

con_ref = cl_sql_connection=>get_connection( 'SECONDARY' ).

lr_result = lr_sql->execute_query( |SELECT * FROM SAPDAT.BUT000| ).

GET REFERENCE OF lt_results INTO lr_results.

lr_result->set_param_table( lr_results ).

DO 3 TIMES.

CLEAR lt_results.

lr_result->next_package( 100 ).

ENDDO.

lr_result->close( ).

Disadvantage: can only navigate forward to the next package, no backward navigation or free positioning available.

I'd be happy with solutions that solve the problem at the HANA/SQL Script level or at the ABAP level. Who can help?

Thanks,

Thorsten

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

lbreddemann
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Franz,

if you really want to avoid the re-execution of the statement I see two options:

1) you fill a temporary result table and run the pagination query just on that.

or

2) you hope that the result set cache works for your query (haven't tested this).

So all I have is the following example for option 1):

create global temporary table myresults as

(select mandt, versi, belnr, sum(VV020001)

from "LARS"."CE2IDEA_COPY12"

group by   mandt, versi, belnr)

WITH NO DATA;

Now (at the latest) set  AUTOCOMMIT to OFF!!

select * from myresults

Nothing in there (hopefully).

Let's fill the table:

insert into myresults (

select mandt, versi, belnr, sum(VV020001)

from "LARS"."CE2IDEA_COPY12"

group by   mandt, versi, belnr)

Statement 'insert into myresults ( select mandt, versi, belnr, sum(VV020001) from "LARS"."CE2IDEA_COPY12" ...' successfully executed in 490 ms 87 µs Started: 2012-12-07 15:33:12 (server processing time: 448 ms 752 µs) - Rows Affected: 2845

Awesome, right? Thanks to temporary table, there is no persistence involved here, no redo logging, no nothing.

Let's check the data (let's run the stuff in parallel, just for the fun of it):

select * from myresults limit 50 offset 0;

select * from myresults limit 50 offset 50;

select * from myresults limit 50 offset 100;

select * from myresults limit 50 offset 150;

Statement 'select * from myresults limit 50 offset 0' successfully executed in 23 ms 680 µs Started: 2012-12-07 15:33:50 (server processing time: 0 ms 196 µs)

Fetched 50 row(s) in 15 ms 709 µs (server processing time: 0 ms 11 µs)

Statement 'select * from myresults limit 50 offset 50' successfully executed in 28 ms 580 µs Started: 2012-12-07 15:33:50 (server processing time: 0 ms 297 µs)

Fetched 50 row(s) in 16 ms 21 µs (server processing time: 0 ms 11 µs)

Statement 'select * from myresults limit 50 offset 100' successfully executed in 23 ms 117 µs Started: 2012-12-07 15:33:50 (server processing time: 0 ms 293 µs)

Fetched 50 row(s) in 15 ms 491 µs (server processing time: 0 ms 10 µs)

Statement 'select * from myresults limit 50 offset 150' successfully executed in 23 ms 417 µs Started: 2012-12-07 15:33:51 (server processing time: 0 ms 338 µs)

Duration of 4 statements: 98 ms

Fetched 50 row(s) in 15 ms 938 µs (server processing time: 0 ms 11 µs)

Statement 'commit' successfully executed

Of course if you want to save a bit more parsing time and effort and sql plan cache memory you go and use parameters for the limit clause:

select * from myresults limit ? offset ?;

Works nicely.

After you're done with scrolling through the result set you simply disconnect (brutally :-D) or you truncate the myresult table.

To me this is not too bad for a pagination over an aggregated result set...

Cheers, Lars

former_member182046
Contributor
0 Kudos

Lars,

Thanks a lot - works like a spell! I'm calling this from ABAP via ADBC, and the only thing I changed is that I use a LOCAL TEMPORARY table instead of a global one in order to improve encapsulation.

Cheers,

Thorsten

henrique_pinto
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

How can you set Autocommit to OFF through ADBC?

Is there a SQL command for it?

Or you just need it during table creation?

lbreddemann
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

AFAIK there is no specific command to change the AUTOCOMMIT setting.

It's a connection setting and when using Netweaver stack AUTOCOMMIT is usually deactivated anyhow to avoid interference with the ABAP transaction handling.

In hdbsql you can script the change by using \a but I'm not aware of any "ALTER SESSION ..." type of command for this.

For the sake of this example I was actually wrong - you could also leave the autocommit mode as it is. The global temporary table (GTT) and it's content does survive the end of a transaction - but the content will be removed with the end of the session/connection.

cheers,

Lars

henrique_pinto
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

So, basically, just don't call COMMIT from ADBC?

lbreddemann
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

That's not what I wrote.

When running SQL from an NetWeaver work process you always work within the business transaction scheme.

If you need to commit  in between due to your business logic, by all means: do so!

Sometimes you will even get an implicit commit e.g. due to work process dispatching.

To close the circuit here: from ABAP you don't have to care about setting AUTOCOMMIT off, because you are always running in that mode.

AUTOCOMMIT ON is a setting that really only makes sense for interactive SQL user scenarios, where the wait/think time of the users potentially could be *very* long (e.g. coffee or lunch break). And you don't want to loose work there or have data sets locked for an unnecessary long time.

cheers, Lars

patrickbachmann
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Guys we are looking to do something similar but we are calling the view using ODATA service.  Should I start a new thread or maybe you can point me to another thread on this topic if it already exists? 

Thanks!

-Patrick

patrickbachmann
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Never mind, I found the answer I was looking for using $top, $skip and $count.  Thanks for nothing Lars. 

lbreddemann
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

See, Patrick, having myself on a good long vacation does not only relax me tremendously, but also makes you a better developer. Awesome and unexpected, but pretty cool .

Cheers!

0 Kudos

Hello Lars,

We have a similar requirement where we are required to reduce the memory used by the application when the data in the HANA table is huge. I also had the idea of using "LIMIT" and "OFFSET", but the downside being that we need to execute more queries to the DB which might slow it down.

Then I saw your answer here where you suggest the same thing but on temporary tables. Can you explain me a little bit on how this is beneficial to fetching data from actual table? Because the number of DB calls remains the same here as well. I know that the data from temporary table and the table will be deleted at the end of the session but is it anyways helping in reducing the memory footprint? The link for temporary table which is there in your answer is not working now.

Thanks

lbreddemann
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Please don't revive the dead - this thread is closed over two years now.

Open a new one if you like and refer to this one, if you like.

thanks

Lars

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

sreelatha_reddy2
Participant
0 Kudos

OFFSET keyword in not working for me in Select statements. Its always fetching the same result set.

Can anyone tell me why is this happening. Does offset work only for a specific vesion of hana studio?

I tested this on version 1.00.85.02.399857 .