Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Configure SAP GUI for Java

ThomasKjelsrud
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi all,

Is there anyone can tell me or show me an example how to configure the SAP GUI for Java to connect to the server? I have looked at Administrator Configuration -GUI Configuration File and the other documentations on the GUI DVD, but I am unfortunately unable to fix it.

Please help.

Regards,

Thomas

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Thomas,

In which OS you are trying to install SAP GUI for JAVA ?

I tried to install in linux system.The following link was useful for me to achieve the task.

http://www.oit.duke.edu/techsupport/sap/sapgui/linux/index.html

ThomasKjelsrud
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi,

I am trying to install it on Solaris.

Thanks,

Thomas

RMW
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Hello Thomas,

the OS does not make any difference regarding configuration of SAP Logon information.

In case you want to setup a centralized configuration used by several end users, usually the admin would create configuration files which can be centrally located and then the end user only needs to add the URL where they are located.

For a pictured explanation, you can have a look at <a href="ftp://ftp.sap.com/pub/sapgui/java/documents/PlatinGUI-TechEd2000.pdf">this presentation</a>, page 20.

Some screenshots look a bit different in the meantime, but the principle is still the same.

In case you are the only one to use the configuration you have to decide if you would still like to be able to choose from a list of available systems or if you are fine with manually editing the connection strings in expert mode on the "Advanced" tab in the "New connection" dialog.

The principle for former approach is the same as above except you are storing the files locally and use file urls in the configuration dialog to point to your local files.

The information for latter approach is described in 9.1 "Technical Background, Connection Strings", as a summary:

<b>- using loadbalancing:</b>

conn=/M/msgserver.acme.com/S/3600/G/PUBLIC

(replace msgserver.acme.com, 3600, PUBLIC with your message server name, port number of msg server if it's not the default, and logon group)

<b>- direct connection:</b>

conn=/H/appserver.acme.com/S/3200

(replace appserver.acme.com and 3200 with your name of the WebAS and port number)

Note: Spaces between "conn", the equal sign and the rest will make it brake.

Hope this helps

Rolf-Martin

ThomasKjelsrud
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Rolf-Martin!

Is it necessary to configure mor than just the config.ini file, with the entry:

ERP : conn=/H/appserver.acme.com/S/3200 ?

Isn't port 3600 the default port for the message server?

Thanks!

Regards,

Thomas

RMW
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Hi Thomas,

you might be right regarding the default port number of message servers. I have changed it in my previous reply.

In case you want to go for the minimum solution to add entries to your SAP Logon list by using the expert mode, you do not need to edit files at all. Just open the "New Connection" dialog, activate the expert mode on the "Advanced" tab, enter the connection string like described before (see also chapter 9.1), provide a name to be displayed in SAP logon and save.

When entering "ERP" in the description field and the connection string "conn=/H/appserver.acme.com/S/3200", a line like

ERP:conn=/H/appserver.acme.com/S/3200

will be added in the connections file and this will appear as "ERP" in the SAP Logon window.

Btw, the name can be longer than just 3 characters like "my favorite test system". (In case of using a colon in the namefield of the "New Connection" dailog, it will be quoted in the connections file. When editing the connections file manually please keep in mind to quote the colon with "\").

Best regards

Rolf-Martin

ThomasKjelsrud
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi,

I will try this procedure at the earliest chance I get, and will update the post after that.

Thanks a lot!

Regards,

Thomas

ThomasKjelsrud
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Rolf-Martin,

I have tried setting up SAP GUI for Java on my windows laptop to try to connect to an available system, just for testing purposes.

I use this connection string:

ERP:conn=/H/dzs0d6e001.i04.local/S/3600

and also tried using this

ERP:conn=/H/dzs0d6e001.i04.local/S/3200

Both times I get this error:

"Unable to create connection document for protocol 'ni'.

java.lang.NullPointerException"

Do you have any idea what this might mean, and what I need to do?

Thanks!

Thomas

RMW
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Hello Thomas,

the second string should be correct regarding the port-number, but on the "Advanced" tab, the connection string only has to be entered as

conn=/H/dzs0d6e001.i04.local/S/3200

and not

ERP:conn=/H/dzs0d6e001.i04.local/S/3200

Best regards

Rolf-Martin

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Rolf,

We also facing similar problem with SAPGUI-Java7 rev2, after giving the conection string in advanced as you mentioned we are getting error message as below

Error: Partner 'server-ipaddress:3200' not reached

Component NI(NetworkInterface), version 38

rc=-10, module nixxi.cpp,line 2769

Detail Nipconnect2

System Call Connect

Error no 10061

'WSAECONNREFUSED:Connection refused'

Can you please tell us what does the above error means?

What we have to change configuration or setttings files?

Thanks inadvance

Regards

Ravi Seshachalam

Basis Administrator

RMW
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Hello Ravi,

what it means you can find out by doing a search for WSAECONNREFUSED, either on SDN (e.g. this forum) or some search engine.

Looks like your connection string is incorrect, it seems the portnumber is taken as the appservers IP-address.

In case this does not help, please create a new thread, since your problem is not much related to Thomas' one and mixing the two makes it bulky.

Best regards

Rolf-Martin

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

I have just installed SAP GUI on my Mac OS X 10.7.4 . When I try to make a new connection, the system drop down list is empty. Please let me know how to configure it to connect it to the server.

Former Member
0 Kudos

I am also having an issue. I am moving from a Windows based client to the Java with SuSE Linux. One of the issues is not knowing how to translate the saplogon.ini from Windows to a config file on Linux. Does anyone have an example of what each block on the Windows side translates to on the Linux side?

Thanks,

Tom

RMW
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Hello,

unfortunately there is no conversion tool (yet).

For now, you should have a look at <a href="https://service.sap.com/sap/support/notes/99435">note 99435</a> regarding saplogon.ini file format and chapters 7 + 9 of the manual part of SAP GUI for Java.

Best regards

Rolf-Martin

P.S. In cases the author has already set the question to answered, it would be better to create a new thread and optionally referencing to a related exisiting thread. This will make more people read what you have posted.