cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cannot view any data sources in SAP BusinessObjects Design Studio

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi ALL.

I am having trouble creating an application, simply I cannot select a data source using SAP BusinessObjects Design Studio (DS).

A connection to the actual datasource is successfully created, that being SAP HANA. I do have a some information models created in SAP HANA, however when I try to add a data source I do not see anything. I tried to search for them, however nothing is returned. The user I created the connection to Design Studio is a SAP HANA user with the necessary rights or privileges.

Attached are some screen-shots to illustrate my issue.

Your help will be much appreciated.

Kind Regards,

Thatoyame Lowlane

Email: thatoyame@gmail.com    

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (4)

Answers (4)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Any solution to this problem yet. I'm a facing the same problem currently with windows 8 (64-bit) i can add a HANA ODBC connection via the preference menu, however after i have added it, it's not in my list of connections in design studio..tried 64 bit and 32 bit Hana client install, none are working..

TammyPowlas
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi - since this is an old thread, I recommend creating a new discussion with more details - are you using Design Studio 1.3, and if so, it has native HANA connections to the platform - see for a tutorial

Former Member
0 Kudos

In Design Studio Go to

Tools->Preferences

Then Click on ODBC icon (located on top right corner) and add HANA connection. It should work.

Akshay_Bhandari
Explorer
0 Kudos

Hello,

When i try connecting SAP Design Studio to HANA via the ODBC connection. Below is the error screenshot which I get.

I have already created the OBDC connection @ %windir%\SysWOW64\odbcad32.exe

But still I am unable to connect.

Can you please help me out

Regards

Akshay

former_member186082
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Akshay,

Is SAP HANA Client installed in your machine?

Akshay_Bhandari
Explorer
0 Kudos

Hello Sekhar,

Yeah HANA Client is installed in my system.

Regards

Akshay

SaiBlue
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Akshay,

Were you able to get a solution to your problem?

I am facing the same issue.

Kind Regards,

Sai

henrique_pinto
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Which SP/revision is your HANA Studio?

Also, which revision of the HANA Clients (32 & 64 bits) do you have installed?

Other thing, do your HANA views have input parameters?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi ALL.

@Tammy... Ok will give it a try.

@Henrique... The HANA Studio I am using is Revision 45. I have installed 64 bit clients, however also installed the 32 bit client driver.

Nope my HANA models/views do not have input parameters.

Regards,

Thatoyame

henrique_pinto
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

At least in my installation, Design Studio uses the 32 bit drivers.

Make sure the revisions of the clients and server meet, and that the HANA connection is maintained in the 32 bit ODBC connection manager in windows (if you click on the gears in the configuration window of DS, it will open the 32 bit one).

But I'm afraid it's something else.

You are aware DS will browse just for Analytic & Calculation views, right?

It won't browse the tables.

Best regards,

Henrique.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Henrique.

The revisions of the clients and servers do meet & are supported.

I am also maintaining the HANA connection using the 32 bit ODBC (it was the only one that could work).

Yes, I am aware that DS currently uses Analytic & Calculations views only, which is fine because those are the information models I want to use.

The next step will be to create a support message with SAP Support and see what they have to say.Once I get a solution, will definitely share it on this thread.

Thanks for all help.

Regards,

Thatoyame

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Henrique,

I have been trying to use a calculation view with an input parameter in design studio. Is this possible? I want to take a selected member from one chart and use that as an input into a data source(calculation view) for another chart in design studio.

Regards,
Swaroop

former_member186082
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Henrique,

In Preferences menu, I've added Data source (after clicking gears button) under System DSN tab using HDBODBC32 driver and I can see the list of system data sources in that tab. But when I select the newly added SAP HANA Data source and click OK, no connection is added in Design Studio. I tried clicking RELOAD ALL CONNECTIONS and also restarting the Design Studio, but everything is in vain.

Can you please help in this.

I've 64 bit OS and I've installed 32 bit HANA Clients.

Regards,

Chandu.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Chandu,

Let me summarize what you said.

1. You added a system DSN for your HANA

2. Opened Design Studio but you don't see the data source under preferences/Backend Connections?

If this is true, I think what you might have done is setup a DSN for the 64-bit ODBC. You need to set it up in the 32-bit ODBC. To do this go to Windows\SysWOW64 and search for odbcad32.exe. You need to add the System DSN there. Try this and it should work. I am assuming here that you have Win home premium and installed 32bit clients.

Regards,

Swaroop

former_member186082
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Swaroop,

I followed all the steps as you said and still I'm not able to add connection in Design Studio.

In the folder Windows\SysWOW64 (odbcad32.exe) only, I've added system DSN and I'm able to connect to HANA successfully. But when I click ok from Design Studio, screen is just refreshing but the connection is not getting added.

I'm running on Windows 7 premium - 64 bit version and tried with both 32 as well as 64 bit HANA clients.

Regards,

Chandu

Former Member
0 Kudos

This could be a problem with privileges in your HANA user/role. Ask your sys admin to check if they gave you the right privileges.

former_member186082
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Swaroop,

Which role is required for this? Can you help..??

Former Member
0 Kudos

Well, I have modeler, monitoring and public roles. Privileges: Create, development, import, export, repo.import, repo.export. But I beleive everyone who has a modeler role will have these. So I am not sure what is wrong. What version of Design Studio are you using? Did you try logging on through BOE?

TammyPowlas
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Did you try typing in the Data Source directly?

I am not using Hana so I am afraid I can't be much help.

Also, did you follow the steps outlines in this tutorial for the connection?

http://scn.sap.com/docs/DOC-33567

Regards,

Tammy

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Tammy.

Thanks for your response....

Yes I did try typing the data source directly in the search box as shown the screen-shots I provided, however nothing came about... I even tried using a *(wild-card) to search for any data sources, but none appeared....

Yes I have also followed the steps you mentioned as well... 

Regards,

Thatoyame

TammyPowlas
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Well, I am not using Hana so I cannot personally help that much but I recommend enabling the trace logs (under Tools > Preferences), then trying again and including that information in a support message to SAP

Good luck!

Tammy