cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problem with incompatible objects

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi All,

I am having a doubt with incompatible objects, in my report i need to use different objects from different classes.

I merged some dimensions based on Id's, when i tried to add an Dimension object to the report i got "incompatible message", when i changed that same Dimension object to Detail object, its working fine.

Why its happening there? Is that BO functionality or am doing it wrong?

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Praveen,

When using multiple data providers in a single report, synchronization among the dps are achieved using merged dimensions( common dimension). Synchronization behaves in a such a way that,

A table block cannot contain unmerged dimensions from multiple data providers in the same table block

whereas

A table block can contain unmerged dimensions or measure objects from the same query in the same table block.

Inorder to use the objects that are incompatible, we change the qualificatoin of the object to detail and use it in the report block.

Please take a look at the KBA: 1203620 - BOXIR2 Webi : Why do we get #DATASYNC error in cells (OR) Cannot Drop here. Incompatible Object' error using Merged Dimensions.

Though the KBA is referring R2, the information related to synchronization holds good.

Thanks,

Madhumitha

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

former_member188911
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Please note that the workaround suggested by Madhumita and Jothi must be the last resort, the manual says this clearly.

I have seen in some cases that report designers used too freely this workaround which had odd consequences, i.e. undesired results. This because in more complex situations the report engine is not able to determine the relationships between the objects.

Therefore the best option is to change it at universe level if possible.

Thanks

SC

Former Member
0 Kudos

Looks like this issue has come back a few times in SP04.

Fixed in patch 7: ADAPT00625276

Fixed in patch 5: ADAPT01662025

I'm getting the error again in patch 10 with a report that we migrated over from BOBJ 3.1

Anyone else seeing the "Cannot Drop Here" Incompatible Objects" message in patch 10 when you shouldn't be?

Thanks,

Dan.

former_member188911
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

If you the object should be compatible, please raise a ticket with support so we can investigate.

Thanks

Simone

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Simone,

I am working on an Universe.When i drag few objects I get a message of incompatible objects.

Can you please suggest a workaround at Universe level?

Thanks in advance,

Archana

Former Member
0 Kudos

You can check that all the objects you are pulling in are from same context.

and also you can check aggregate navigation to define incompatible objects

satyndr
Explorer
0 Kudos

Hello Praveen,

I think the dimensions are not synchronized.

Either you can use force merge option or use combined queries.

For details how does ForceMerge() works.

Follow the link

http://www.dagira.com/2009/09/03/using-forcemerge-to-fix-unbalanced-data-providers/.

hope it will help.

thanks

Satendra Srivastava

jyothirmayee_s
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

Dimension Object must be asociated with Detail object.

Look at the below tip on Merged Dimension and "Incompatible error" in WebI by Michael Welter:

Tip 1: Adding “Incompatible” dimensions to the block

Have you ever noticed that, sometimes when you try to add a dimension to a block that includes merged dimensions, you sometimes get an “Incompatible object” error? Let me explain why this happens, and then we’ll look at ideas on how to fix it.

Dimension objects and Detail objects have a fundamental difference: Dimension objects usually represent a different level of granularity. For example, State and City might be two dimension objects in your universe. City is a lower level of granularity than State. So, when you add City to an existing block that already includes State, the measure objects will be aggregated at a lower level of granularity.

Detail objects, on the other hand, typically do not represent a lower level of granularity when used with their related dimension. For example, if I have Sales Revenue broken down by Customer in a block, and then add the Eye Color detail object, Sales Revenue will not be aggregated at a lower level. It will stay at the level of Customer. This is how detail objects work.

So, if I have two queries merged on State, and try to display another dimension, that is not merged, such as State Capitol, Web Intelligence doesnt know how to aggregate the measures at the lower level of State Capitol, since that dimension doesnt exist as a merged dimension. Of course, you and I both know that each State only has one State Capitol, so it’s not really a lower level of granularity. But Web Intelligence doesnt know that. So we have to tell it.

The way we tell is as follows: Create a detail variable. In this case, maybe we call it Capitol. Make it a detail of the State merged dimension. The formula for this variable is:

=[State Capitol]

We can then add the variable to the block, as Web Intelligence sees it as a detail of State, rather than a different level of granularity. Note that the detail variable must be a detail of a merged dimension. Otherwise, you still won’t be able to add it to the block.

Hope this helps you to understand the Dimension as Detail objects.

Thanks,

Jothi