cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cannot retrieve dimensions from cube

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Friends,

I am trying to create a webi report directly on top of BEX query using BICS. When I give query name and click on create then it gives me this error:

Cannot retrieve dimensions from cube(<query name>)

I read many forums on this issue but couldnt found any idea why is this happening. This error is coming particularly for 1-2 queries, rest is fine. Can you please let me know why only 1-2 queries giving this error and rest is doing fine.

Thanks,

Gaurav

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Gaurav,

Do you have any external hierarchy object in the BEx Query?

Kindly check the External Hierarchy object it may be overwritten mistakenly. Check at backend and fix it and then, try creating the Webi.

We faced the same issue because of [ZSBU] object (which is a external hierarchy) is overwritten while transporting some other Hierarchy object from Quality to Production.

Hope it helps

Thanks,

Parthiban

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Parthiban,

I am able to open the same query in BEX query designer and execute it without any issues. I checked the objects but there is no hierrarchy being used. Anything else you could think of?

Thanks,

Gaurav

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Gaurav,

Make a copy of your BEx Query and try the below:

If you have G/L Account mapping assigned at BEx Query, Please refresh/remap them.

Also, Do you have any Month object which is obtained by writing ABAP Code(concatenating Year and Month?) and using this object as BEx Variable? Check it whether it is properly done.

Also, assign default value for BEx Variable in your query and try creating Webi.

Also, PFA Screenshot of Release note related to this.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Gaurav,

Please post the Screenshot of Error message or copy and paste the error.

Kindly update.

Thanks,

Parthiban

Henry_Banks
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

what release note is that? would be more helpful if you would quote which Patch level that is resolved in . thanks!

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Henry

Please check the ebook: "xi4sp4_release_notes_en.pdf"  Page no: 487 of 523.

Found in Release Notes which covers the fixed issues information upto SAP BusinessObjects BI 4.0 Support Package 4. I'm not sure about Patch level, Sorry.

Thanks,

Parthiban.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Parthiban,

I checked my query. It doesnt have any optional variable. This variable is manual input so there is no abap coding involved.

Error msg is : Cannot retrieve dimensions from cube <queryname>.

Thanks,

Gaurav

Henry_Banks
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Hi,

do you get any issues (errors, brain dumps) when testing the user response for the SAPVARS of this BEx query in transaction RSRT ?

Usually, specifying default values for the variables fixes this issue.  Sometimes default values are specified that are not permitted for the user etc.

Also, inconsistencies on multiproviders can cause this.  You should enable BW RSTT traces to profile your workflow from webi.

Regards,
H

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Henry & Gaurav,

I assigned default value in 'Set Variables' of Query Panel for BEx Variable 'Company Code' (where some company codes are not permitted for some users), and, i made the table hidden if the user is not permitted to view the default company code's data.

i wrote the below formula in "Format Table"->"Hide when following formula is true" formula box:

=CurrentUser()="G**~*00/***_USER" And [Company code]="G**"

Based on the User Logged in, the table is visible/invisible dynamically.

Hence, If you can assign default value which will avoid the error "Cannot retrieve dimensions from cube(<query name>)", then Try this formula.

Please update the discussion, if any disadvantage is there or limitation can happen.

Thanks,

Parthiban.

Henry_Banks
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

It's recommended to use data security from the BW side - i.e. variables processed by authorizations . the SAPVAR will also filter records, which the webi formula won't do ..

Let's wait for Gaurav to reply about the above Default Values, RSRT, and RSTT information.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Guys,

I gave a default value to my variable in BEX query and its working fine. Thanks alot for this help but still wondering why is this only query asking for default values to incorporate into webi. I checked in RSTT Trace and debugged the code over there but could not found anything fruitful in regards to this error.Also, I checked in report RSCOMPCONS2 for inconsistencies in my multiproiver and it shows abosolutely fine.

Thanks,

Gaurav

Former Member
0 Kudos

Following note will give you some background information: 1611185

Search for "Special Considerations for Variables".

Answers (4)

Answers (4)

jyothirmayee_s
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

Did you tried opening the same query from Query Designer?.

If you get error there then check if you have enough rights on roles.

Thanks,

Jothi

amitrathi239
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

This issue is fixed in the SP04 & SP05.

If your patch level is lower then there is workaround.In the BEx query add default values for all variables.Then try it will work.This is how working for us.

Thanks,

Amit

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Amit,

Currently we are on SP04 and this issue I am not getting in 99% of my queries and they dont have any default values at all but for 1-2 queries it is showing me this error.

Thanks,

Gaurav    

Henry_Banks
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

i can't move you, have no rights .

dear mods - This question is for "WebIntelligence" forum

roland_hoeller2
Employee
Employee
0 Kudos

Moved.

Thanks and Regards
Roland Hoeller

Forum Moderator

Henry_Banks
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

hi.

version info would be useful.

also, this question has been asked and answered lots of time in the WebIntelligence forum.

i'll move you.

please search etc

H