cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BO Reports Complexity Analyzer Tool:

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Expert,

We are working on a client request to categorize the BO Reports (WebI) by complexity (Simple, Medium, etc) for the whole Business Objects Platform (XI R3.1). We are looking forward to the following from others:

Any tool available in our practice to categorize the reports based on Complexity? If yes, please provide the point of contact for a follow up.

How to get the distinct report count per application (considering the Personal and Public Folders)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

former_member182521
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Palanivel,

Below are some of the guidelines which I used in my experience. Add as much parameters as you can. Please note this is specific to our environment and you may need to revisit this to suit your environment if required.

Sno

Parameter

Simple

Medium

Complex

Multiple Universes

NA

up to 2 universes

equal to or more than 2 universes

Multiple Data Providers

NA

less than 3 data providers

equal to or more than 3 data providers

Multiple Queries

up to 3 queries

more than 3 but less than 6 queries

equal to or more than 6 queries

Multiple Report Tabs

up to 2 report tabs

more than 2 but less than 4 tabls

equal to or more than 4 tabs

Dimension merging

NA

up to 3 dimension

equal to or more than 3 dimension

User defined variables

uo tp 15 variables

more than 15 but less than 30 variables

equal to or more than 30 variables

Simple Sort

up to 3 sorts

more than 3 but less than 5 sorts

equal to or more than 5 sorts

Ranking

up to 2 rankings

more than 2 but less than 4 rankings

equal to or more than 4 rankings

formulae

up to 10 formulae

more than 10 but less than 20 formulae

equal to or more than 20 formulae

Master/ Detail

up to 2 sets

more than 2 sets but less than 4 sets

equal to or more than 4 sets

Regards,

Mani

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Henry_Banks
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

no such tool, you need to make an assesment using your experience

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Thats correct way, if we have 100 reports. but we are having more than 3000 reports. so, how can we estimate all these reports.

former_member188911
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Palanivel,

I understand that you jumped into a project that was already rolling. For completeness of information and in order to prevent similar things from happening to other SCN users, I am adding here my personal opinion.

One should plan BI deployments in detail, the project should consider these elements before even deploying the application, because this is a critical element for decision making in the planning of sizing.

As long as the deployment rolls into production you need to monitor how things evolve, so that you can be able to adjust things according to the real life scenario.

This type of monitoring is done using the Auditing features, however for deployments like yours, where probably monitoring hasn't been setup from the beginning, this would be too complex.

Now, in order to determine the complexity of a document you need to consider number of records in the cube and average refresh time. (you may also wish to consider other elements, it is up to you)

You are lucky because you are in XI3.1 and there is a supported SDK, you can thus create your own tool if you are able to do so.  You may wish to search solutions in the SDK discussions..

If you can't create your tool the last resort would be to split the work between colelagus and check a number of reports per day you may be able to assess them in 2-3 weeks, working a couple of hours a day.

Thanks and regards,

Simone