cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Failed to load an assembly PB12.5.1 Classic

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi

I'm trying to run an app (on the PB IDE) on a network drive (as users will do), and my app calls a webservice thru a wcf client and I get a Error: Fail to load the assembly for the Web Service.

On my network drive I copied all my app .pbds and .exe, and also:

• n_picfews.dll  <--- my webservice client assembly
  • Sybase.Powerbuilder.WebService.Runtime.dll
  • Sybase.PowerBuilder.WebService.RuntimeRemoteLoader.dll
  • Sybase.PowerBuilder.WebService.WSDL.dll
  • Sybase.PowerBuilder.WebService.WSDLRemoteLoader.dll
  • pbwsclient125.pbd

At first I thought it was a problem with my 64bits PC, but it does the same for a 32bits PC, locally the app runs fine, but not on the network drive.

I tried executing CASPol -all -resolveperm networkPath\n_picfews.dll  but I'm getting a ERROR: Unable to load assembly.

I also found something about having the bin folder of the 32 bit .Net framework on the System Path, but first of all there's no BIN folder there

and second, the SYSTEM PATH variable has the framework 4 for 32 bits path

C:\app32\cperez\product\11.2.0\client_32\bin;C:\app\cperez\product\11.2.0\client_32\bin;C:\app\cperez\product\11.2.0\client_1\bin;

C:\oracle\orav11r2\bin;%SystemRoot%\system32;%SystemRoot%;%SystemRoot%\System32\Wbem;%SYSTEMROOT%\System32\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0\;

C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727;C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v4.0.30319;C:\Program Files (x86)\Sybase 10.5\Shared\PowerBuilder;C:\Program Files (x86)\Sybase 10.5\Shared\DataDirect;C:\Program Files (x86)\Sybase 10.5\Shared\DataDirect52;C:\Program Files (x86)\Sybase 11.5\Shared\PowerBuilder;C:\Program Files (x86)\Java\jre7\bin;C:\Program Files (x86)\Java\jre7\bin\client;C:\Program Files (x86)\Sybase 11.5\Shared\PowerBuilder\;C:\Program Files (x86)\Sybase 11.5\PowerBuilder 11.5;C:\Program Files (x86)\Sybase 12.5\Shared\PowerBuilder;C:\Program Files (x86)\Sybase 12.5\PowerBuilder 12.5;C:\Program Files\Microsoft\Web Platform Installer\

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

former_member190719
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

.Net has a restriction on running managed code from a network drive.  You have to do a bit of work in order to overcome that security restriction.

Former Member
0 Kudos

I tried to follow those steps on a Win7 64bits PC with framework 4.

I can only see my .Net Framework 2.0 Configuration and tried to add the assembly but I'm getting an error:

P.S. I renamed the assembly from n_picfews.dll to GEBC.SIMTG.GT.picfews.dll (just to establish a standard here).

former_member190719
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

In order to be granted full trust, assemblies have to be signed and, usually, strong named.  I'm pretty sure that renaming an assembly invalidates any signing it might have had.

Former Member
0 Kudos

ok... but by "rename" I mean in the wcf client project ... I only saw the option to sign the assembly when you deploy an app, I just want to run my desktop app thru the IDE on a network drive? (cause thats the version when another developer and I are leaving our work, Source Control didn't work.. in fact, it create a mess (that's another discussion)).

I'm not even deploying yet.

former_member190719
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

All I can suggest is using Process Monitor and perhaps the Fusion Log Viewer to get more specifics about why the assembly isn't loading.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Bruce

I tried to sign my webservice, but this webservice calls 3 different  webservices (2 from a 3rd-party) and are not signed, so PB returns an error for each webservice internally called and doesn't allow me to sign mine. 

All of our apps (classic) are deployed on a network drive, is there anything else I can do??

former_member190719
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

I'm lost.  You mean it calls 3rd party assemblies that are unsigned?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Ummm, yes I'm calling actually 4 webservices (2 from a 3rdparty, 1 made on PB11.5 (our property), and 1 made with Java (our property)), and PB12.5.1 don't let me sign my webservice on PB12.5.1 because the DLLs created with the wcf client are not signed.

The Java webservice seems to be signed cause there's no error for it.

I tried to signed the PB11.5 webservice on its deploy and got a success deploy, for the other 2 webservices (3rd party), I followed a document from someone I believe you know very well:  http://brucearmstrong.sys-con.com/node/2133766/mobile.

So, I thought I had it done, but if I deploy the PB12.5.1 webservice including its signature, I get the same 3 errors saying that 3 of the webservices I'm calling are not signed, I also tried taking the 4 dlls created by the wcf clients and following the disassembly, re-assembly (with signature), and adding to the GAC, etc etc. that's on http://brucearmstrong.sys-con.com/node/2133766/mobile.

Then I tried by not signing my PB12.5.1 on deploy, but applying it (again) the steps on

http://brucearmstrong.sys-con.com/node/2133766/mobile

Let's call this webservice mywebservice.dll

And on my PB12.5.1 CLASSIC app I created my .dll with another name mywebservice_client.dll and did the same process.

I'm really lost here, 'cause I have never work with .Net, I don't know what's the difference between my dll created on PB12.5.1 and the one created by its client, are they the same??

I'm not really happy with the steps I have done 'til now, 'cause PB11.5 seems not to be signing, and there's no information on the dll about the company, product name, version, etc., because I did a fake signing, as for the PB12.5.1 dlls (webservice and its client).

UPDATE:

Ok Bruce, now it works on a network drive but only thru the PB IDE, my EXE has the bug from the another discussion when evaluating error 0 (zero) is different from 0 (zero) and the messagebox that crashes PB because there's no error message (NULL), I know it because I added a previous messagebox on the else clause... so... Why This Fails???

Message was edited by: Claudia Perez

former_member190719
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

OK, I understand the issue now.  You're right, the WCF proxy assembly that PowerBuilder.Net creates isn't signed.  I actually covered that issue in my last PowerBuilder.TV webcast on creating a WCF wrapper for the WCF client and using it from PowerBuilder Classic.

When you signed your wrapper assembly, PowerBuilder creates a strong name key file for you.  You need that and 2 other utilities to resolve the issue.  The first utility is ILDASM, which is part of the Windows SDK.  It allows you to disassembly an assembly into Intermediate Language (IL) format.  The second utility is ILASM, which is part of the .Net Framework. It allows you to compile an IL file back into an assembly.  You should already have both on your development machine.

What you're going to do is decompile the proxy assemblies that PowerBuilder.Net generated.  Then you're going to immediately recompile them again, but when you do it you're going to reference that strong key name file that PowerBuilder generated so that the newly recompiled assembly is strong name signed.

In the example from PowerBuilder.TV, my assembly name was amazonservice.dll and the strong name key file was called amazonwrapper.snk.  I simply ran this:

"C:\Program Files\Microsoft SDKs\Windows\v7.1\Bin\x64\ildasm.exe" /all /out=amazonservice.il amazonservice.dll

Followed by this:

ilasm /dll /key=amazonwrapper.snk amazonservice.il

And voila! the assembly is now signed.

Answers (0)