cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Error 723: Failed to retrieve data from the database

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi together,

I'm currently facing a strange error within the Crystal XI "Runtime": I have a report which is working in the development environment but it refuses to work in the production environment. It is a fairly simple report, just joining two tables from the database (and has a subreport which access another table). The "production environment" is a Custom Print Spooler written in Delphi 7 with the CR XI VCLs (which are working fine for all other reports). The report is accessing the database (MS SQL Server 2008 R2) via ODBC. This works usually fine.

The following things have been tried:

=> Checking / Validating database: No errors found

=> Extracting the SQL command and trying to run it on the SQL Server: successful

=> Giving the report the "replaced qualified table names" (Google translation of "ersetzter qualifizierter Tabellenname" - I'm using the german CR here): no effect

=> deleting the subreport: no effect

=> Search for formula errors: No errors found (and the report was working fine in CR 8.5)

The main reason to upgrade was the support for unicode. But in this one of all reports (which is unfortunately a quite important one) CR XI fails... (German) Error message is:

Error:723 Fehler in der Datei (Path/Pfad)\BatchProt.rpt:

Daten konnten nicht aus Datenbank abgerufen werden.

Details:  [Datenbankanbietercode: 156 ]

Execute <PEStartPrintJob>

Can anybody help me here?

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

former_member183750
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello Jens

I moved your query to the Crystal Reports Legacy SDK SCN Space.

Just for completeness, the error in English would be something like: Data could not be retrieved from the database

The Database Vendor Code 156 error (Datenbankanbietercode: 156), is a low level database error passed from the DB client through the report engine. E.g.; this is not a CR error and searching / Googling for 'Database Vendor Code 156 error' is recommended.

Another troubleshooting step I'd recommend; Since this works on one system, and not another, you're more than likely looking at environmental problem (e.g.; not code, etc.). Comparing the systems will be a place to start. The Modules utility should be helpful there as you can compare the runtime on the development vs. runtime computers.Check both the DB runtime and CR runtime. Modules is here:

https://smpdl.sap-ag.de/~sapidp/012002523100006252802008E/modules.zip

- Ludek

Follow us on Twitter

Got Enhancement ideas? Try the SAP Idea Place

Share Your Knowledge in SCN Topic Spaces

0 Kudos

Error 723 means:

PE_ERR_OPENROWSET               723

And to add to Ludek's info the error 156 means the ODBC DSN could find the MS SQL Server client. In CR 8.5 that usually meant the client install folder was not in the PATH statement.

Another potential issue is if you have CR 8.5 on that same DEV PC then XI may be finding the DB driver in \windows\crystal folder. CR 8.5 is not side by side so you can not have both versions on the same PC.

And Here's another problem. MS does not support SQL 2008 using MDAC, those are the drivers you see in ODBC Drivers tab. They updated the name of the client dll to SQLNCLI10.dll and CR 2008 and above is the only versions that supports that extended client dll. Searching MS's site you'll find more info that they don't support it for extended functionality in MDAC. You must use SQLNCLI10.dll as the ODBC driver, but CR XI does not support it.

Explains why one report doesn't work, likely more DB features are being accessed and possibly MS changed the way it works.

You could try using OLE DB, it may fix the issue for you. But be sure to use the Native 10 dll when connecting.

You can see how and which driver you are using by expanding the Set Table Location properties, if it lists crdb_odbc then that could be the problem, if it list p2bSQL.dll then that is definitely the problem, CR 8.5 is the last version of Crystal to support our native MS driver.

So to be supported you either need to roll back to MS SQL Server 2008 or upgrade to CR 2008 or higher.

Don

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Ludek,

thanks for moving the topic!

But I'm afraid the problem is not platform-specific: I tried to run it on my development machine, but it just doesn't work there outside the developer. But maybe this Modules utility may help, I will try this!

Best Regards

Jens

Answers (0)