cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Installing 9.0 PL04

Former Member
0 Kudos

Greetings!

I am trying to install the above on SQL 2012 (on Windows Small Business Server 2011 Standard). 

The error I get is : Error 27506. Error executing SQL script Init Base Tables. sql line 2. Create Dataabse failed. Some file names could not be created

Has anyone encountered this error? If so, what is the solution that was applied?

Thanks,

Peter

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

KennedyT21
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Peter Andrews

To work around this problem, use one of the following methods:

Set the default data directory value and the default log directory value to valid folder paths

You can set the default data directory value and the default log directory value by using either SQL Server Enterprise Manager or Registry Editor.

Use SQL Server Enterprise Manager

Note The instance of SQL Server Enterprise Manager that is included with SQL Server 7.0 does not support setting the default data directory and the default log directory. However, you can register your instance of SQL Server 7.0 in the instance of SQL Server Enterprise Manager that is included with SQL Server 2000, and you can then follow these steps to set the default data directory and the default log directory for your instance of SQL Server 7.0.

1. Click Start, point to Programs, point to Microsoft SQL Server, and then click Enterprise Manager.
  2. In SQL Server Enterprise Manager, right-click your instance of SQL Server, and then click Properties.
  3. In the SQL Server Properties (Configure) - <Instance Name> dialog box, click the Database Settings tab.
  4. In the New database default location section, type a valid folder path in the Default data directory box and in the Default log directory box.
  5. Click OK.
  6. Stop your instance of SQL Server, and then restart your instance of SQL Server.

Use Registry Editor

Warning If you use Registry Editor incorrectly, you may cause serious problems that may require you to reinstall your operating system. Microsoft cannot guarantee that you can solve problems that result from using Registry Editor incorrectly. Use Registry Editor at your own risk.

Note The instance of SQL Server Enterprise Manager that is included with SQL Server 7.0 does not support setting the default data directory and the default log directory. However, you can modify the registry values that correspond to the default data directory and the default log directory to work around this problem.

1. Click Start, and then click Run.
  2. In the Run dialog box, type Regedit in the Open box, and then click OK.
  3. In Registry Editor, select the following registry key for a default instance of SQL Server:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\MSSQLServer\MSSQLServer

In Registry Editor, select the following registry key for a named instance of SQL Server:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Microsoft SQL Server\<Instance Name>\MSSQLServer

4. In the right pane, right-click the DefaultData registry value, and then click Modify.
  5. In the Edit String dialog box, type the valid folder path in the Value data box, and then click OK.
  6. Repeat step 4 and step 5 for the DefaultLog registry value.
  7. Stop your instance of SQL Server, and then restart your instance of SQL Server.

Remove the registry values that correspond to the default data directory and the default log directory

Warning If you use Registry Editor incorrectly, you may cause serious problems that may require you to reinstall your operating system. Microsoft cannot guarantee that you can solve problems that result from using Registry Editor incorrectly. Use Registry Editor at your own risk.

1. Click Start, and then click Run.
  2. In the Run dialog box, type Regedit in the Open box, and then click OK.
  3. In Registry Editor, locate and select the following registry key for a default instance of SQL Server:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\MSSQLServer\MSSQLServer
    In Registry Editor, locate and select the following registry key for a named instance of SQL Server:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Microsoft SQL Server\<Instance Name>\MSSQLServer
  4. In the right pane, delete the DefaultData registry value and the DefaultLog registry value.
  5. Stop your instance of SQL Server, and then restart your instance of SQL Server.

Hope Helpful

Regards

Kennedy

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks for the reply Kennedy. I had determined a little while after posting that it could be a 'valid data path" problem.

I tested through SSMS and corrected it.

Thanks once agian for replying.

PA

KennedyT21
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Okay close the thread with the correct or helpful answer

Regards

Kennedy

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Peter,

Please confirm if Kennedy's suggestion worked for you. I may be experiencing a similar issue.

Kind regards,

Esau.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Check the SQL DATA directory.

The LOG and MDF more than likely already exist.

Delete or rename these files, and then try re-installing.

Regards,

Kiran

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Kiran.

It seems my case was peculiar since i attempted all suggestions in vain.

However, since it was a newly created system, i simply started from scratch and finally managed to have everything up to speed.