cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How big a data can Lumira handle?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi all,

I've been playing with Lumira, both the desktop version and the cloud version for a while. However the first question hit me before I get into manipulating the data in different ways is: how much data can Lumira properly handle?

I'm using excel sheet as data source. Based on my experience, the desktop version is much faster in importing data, but then need quite a while to analyze it. The cloud version is much faster in generating graphics, but slower in importing data, and doesn't have much capability to clean the dataset. This also makes me wonder: is the desktop version using solely local computing power or it's using HANA automatically?

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

former_member184471
Active Participant
0 Kudos

For Lumira Cloud, we limit dataset uploads to 200MB and incidentally 1000 columns.  I’m not aware of a limitation in # of rows.

To answer the your last question, yes the desktop version only uses your local computing power and doesn’t interact with HANA. Uploading a huge dataset to Lumira Cloud would take a while due to network & other factors, but once uploaded you have HANA Cloud efficiently doing queries, whereas the desktop version will be able to get at the dataset quickly but isn’t a highly optimized database for doing the big data queries.

I hope this helps.

Christina

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Henry_Banks
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

To add to the answers above, Lumira desktop has a local instance of SybaseIQ which is why it is so powerful/performant when acquiring/manipulating data.

Also, as described in the help guide: http://help.sap.com/businessobject/product_guides/vi01/en/vi1_0_11_user_en.pdf

For data that is acquired to manipulate locally, the maximum number of cells that can be acquired is limited by the capacity of your machine, however, you are notified by a warning at 15 million for 32 bit systems, and 30 million cells for 64 bit.

Regards,

H

clarissa_dold
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi,

Lumira desktop can despite the above also connect to HANA online data which allows you to connect to massive data volumes with the advantage of in-memory without a limitation in size. Recommendation is still though to only import the columns you need for your analysis.

Regards,

Clarissa

Former Member
0 Kudos

So is it possible to feed the data to HANA via Lumira desktop? My current issue is that I'm trying to clean my data before analyzing it. The cleaning is only supported by the desktop version, but it is not working so smoothly in some steps.

clarissa_dold
Participant
0 Kudos

yes it is possible to publish the data back to HANA from Lumira desktop