cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to connect to Sybase DB from PowerBuilder Version 7.0.3

Former Member
0 Kudos

We are trying to connect to Sybase DB from PowerBuilder Version 7.0.3. While trying to create a new DB profile it is giving the error "Unable to load the requested Database Interface. Please make sure both the interface and client software are installed properly".

We have tried re-installing the PowerBuider IDE which didnt help us.

PowerBuider is installed in Windows 7 environment. Also we are able to connect to Oracle database from the same installation.

NB: Upgrading the PowerBuilder version is not currently feasible as there are lot of dependencies related to it.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Assuming that "Sybase DB" is Sybase ASE, it was unable to find pbsyc70.dll which should be in C:\Program Files (x86)\Sybase\Shared\PowerBuilder. If by "Sybase DB" you meant SQL Anywhere (Also known as ASA depending on the version) then it was unable to find pbodb70.dll.

Make sure your ...Shared\PowerBuilder folder is in the system path and that the driver file mentioned above is in there. If not, follow Jerry's suggestion to re-install with Custom and make sure the driver is selected for install.

In PB7, the list of installed drivers is located in the pb.ini file. There is a Vendors setting in the Database section. It should look something like this:

Vendors=ODBC,MSS MS SQL Server 6.X,SYC Adaptive Server Enterprise,O84 Oracle 8.0.4/8.0.5,IN9 Informix V9.X,DIR Direct Connect Interface,JDB JDBC

The first three characters (ODB, MSS, SYC, O84, IN9, DIR, JDB) correspond to position 3-5 of the driver file name.

Former Member
0 Kudos

It's been a while since I installed PB 7.0, but I don't recall having to explictly select the ASE drivers for installation.  Said another way, as I remember it, the default installation of PB 7.0 includes the PBSYC70.dll library.

Former Member
0 Kudos

To Answer few of the questions and provide clarifications:

1. By mentioning Sybase DB  I refered to Adaptive Server Enterprise.

2. I have checked the folder "C:\Program Files (x86)\Sybase\Shared\PowerBuilder" and have found that "pbsyc70.dll" is present in the respective folder.

3.To be more specefic about the error message i recieve:

Error Message when i click new after selecting the Adaptive Sybase Enterprise:

"Unable to locate component"

"This application has failed to start because libct.dll was not found.Re-installing the application may fix this problem"

Please let me know for any more questions

Former Member
0 Kudos

See my original response, you need to install the ASE Open Client, that's where the SYC drivers come from.  If I recall correctly, Open Client versions 10.x, 11.x and 12.x all worked with PowerBuilder 7.0.

Former Member
0 Kudos

The file libct.dll is part of Sybase Open Client which is installed separately from PowerBuilder. You'll have to install Open Client and then use dsedit to define servers or copy sql.ini from a co-worker.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi.

As you said your database is ASE, so, except what Dale Shipman and Roland Smith mentioned about installing the open client, be aware that pb 7 is really old, and depending on the version of the client you will install you may experience some troubles.

I'm using PB 9 to connect to an ASE 15.7 ESD#4 server. Powerbuilder 9 is to old (also) and cannot communicate using v. 15 and later versions of ASE clients (this happens because some library names changed). There is a batch file in the script folder under the \SYBASE\OCS-15_0 folder, and there is a copylib.bat wich fixes this issue. This worked for me, and I'm able to connect using PB 9 to ASE 15.x... Don't know what version of the open client you installed, and if this work with PB 7... I cannot test it as the lower version of PB that I use is 9. If you still have issues after open client installation, try to run that batch file and I hope it will work.

Andreas.

Answers (5)

Answers (5)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi, I am not sure if you already found solution for this issue. I found this discussion today when I myself got the same problem and was lost. I was able to fix this issue after copying the 'NTWDBLIB.DLL' file to the sybase\shared\powerbuilder\ folder.

regards,

Arjun.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Intial issue is resolved and it is now taking a different turn. While trying to connect to the Sybase Database afte providing the required credentials ( SYC Sybase Adaptive Enterprise ), we are getting the error "Unable to Initialize Client Library Context".

To Answer Andreas question about: I am not sure about the version of Open Client. How to identify it?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Former Member
0 Kudos

The easiest way to identify the Open Client version is to run the dsedit utility and select About from the Help menu.

With Open Client 15 they changed the names of the dll files so PBSYC70.DLL wouldn't be able to find them. I believe there is a .bat file in the installation you can run that makes a copy of the files under the old names.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Roland.

In my previous answer I describe where that batch file is located.

Andreas.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi All,

Appreciate all the help and suggestions!!

I was able to resolve the issue by adding the dll path to the Systems Path variable.

The entry i made is :

"C:\Program Files (x86)\Sybase\Shared\Open Client\dll"

Providing the answer so that others to make use of it if in need.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Great.

I wonder what vesion of the open client you are using.

Andreas.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi.

Can you be more specific when you say Sybase DB?

Andreas.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Install the Sybase SYC drivers (also known as Open Client).

Former Member
0 Kudos

... to do that you will need to select Custom in the installer so you can select the DBMS drivers to install. And let me guess - the dependency might just be DPB, since 7 was the last version to support it.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Jerry...

For the server side it's v.7. For the client side I think it's v.8.

Andreas.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Back when PowerBuilder 8.0 first came out I tried creating a PB 8 client to front-end a PB 7 DPB server and ran into a train-wreck load of issues.  Yes, I was able to get it to connect, but yikes, beyond that...