cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Schema4SAP vs. SWPM->System Copy->Database instance?

former_member211576
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi experts,

What is the difference between Schema4SAP and System copy? When do I use Schema4SAP?

If I want to move one database to another server(Homogeneous system copy using attach_db), could I use schema4SAP instead?

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

former_member188883
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Dennis,

As per SAP note Note 1294762 - SCHEMA4SAP.VBS

This tool can be used to move schema from one to another only with support by SAP experts. This is not suitable for perfom system copy.

For system copy you need to system copy procedure using below SAP notes

Note 683447 - SAP Tools for MS SQL Server

Note 151603 - Copying an SQL Server database

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Deepak Kori

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Dennis,

schema4sap.vbs does not touch anything else but the database. If offers two options:

schema repair and schema move

A schema repair script will fix all logins on SQL Server level and the mapping to the corresponding users in the SID DB. If any users or logins are missing, the script will create them for you. If any authorizations or privileges are not set correctly the script will set them for you.

The schema move script will move everything in your database into a different schema, e.g. if you copy the DB from P11 to Q11 you can use the schema move to move all objects in the DB to schema Q11.

SWPM in contrast does not touch DB level only. If you use SWPM for a system copy it will:

- Install the SAP software on the target machine, install common system files, do all the schema move and schema repair tasks for you, ... and so on.

Schema4SAP.vbs within the course of a system copy is useful if the target system is already fully installed and the only task you want to carry out is refresh the target system with a new copy of the source DB. Then you can simply restore the source DB and use schema4sap.vbs to move and repair the schema.

If you want to copy a system to a host with no SAP being installed yet, you'll have to carry out a full system copy with SWPM by following the system copy guide.

Regards,

Beate