Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Query from a SAP HANA Beginner.

aneeth_gajapathi
Explorer
0 Kudos

Hi,

I'm totally new to the world of SAP. I have worked in "IT Applications Support & Maintenance" for 10 years and now looking to learn something new and exciting. Among the latest technologies I researched about, SAP HANA seems to take the lead. It would be of great help if someone can answer my queries below:

1. Can someone like me with absolutely no experience on SAP be able to learn HANA and land in a job? I know it'll be hard but please tell me it is not close to impossible.

2. These are the two courses I'm interested in (and also needed before appearing for an Associate Certification).

a. HA100 SAP HANA Introduction

b. HA200 SAP HANA - Installation & Administration.

3. There are E-Learning modules for the above two courses. Can I just learn with e-learning and not do any classroom training? At this point of time, I may not be able to afford classroom training.

4. If I go ahead with E-Learning, will I need a high-spec laptop/desktop to install and play with HANA? Or will a standard home laptop be good enough?

Many Thanks

Aneeth Gajapathi

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (5)

Answers (5)

dvankempen
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Hi,

For those interested in getting certified, I started a series of blogs on the topic:

Success,

Regards,

Denys

SAP HANA Academy

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Aneeth/All,

I am in similar situation as you were in last year.

• Totally new to the world of SAP.
  • Have worked in IT Applications for 8+ years and now looking to learn something new and exciting.
  • The latest technology which fascinated me is SAP HANA.

1. These are the two courses I'm interested in (and also needed before appearing for an Associate Certification).

Can you please let me know the process for getting enrolled for E-learnings for these courses?

Thanks & Regards,

Vishal

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Aneeth

1. Can someone like me with absolutely no experience on SAP be able to learn HANA and land in a job? There is 2 parts to this question. Yes, someone with no experience on SAP can learn HANA, as it is "database and analytics platform" and hence a knowledge of SAP is not required. There are numerous non-SAP solutions running on top of SAP HANA. To understand fully how SAP Business Suite works on HANA and to administer and manage SAP systems running on HANA as the database platform will require some SAP knowledge. There are lots of places to start gaining this knowledge - SCN, help.sap.com, etc. The second part of your question about landing a job is not so easy to answer. A lot of people who have a history supporting SAP systems on other RDBMSs have been learning HANA and would probably have an advantage on you. But I still think it is possible to land a job, depending on your enthusiasm and ability to learn and develop. You may just have to be prepared to start lower on the ladder.

2. These are the two courses I'm interested in (and also needed before appearing for an Associate Certification).

I assume you are a technical person and not a developer/modeller. If you are the latter you may be interested in HA300 instead of HA200, as per the response of Karthikeyan.

3. There are E-Learning modules for the above two courses. Can I just learn with e-learning and not do any classroom training? At this point of time, I may not be able to afford classroom training.

Yes, but it again it is up to the individual. I always prefer e-learning.

4. If I go ahead with E-Learning, will I need a high-spec laptop/desktop to install and play with HANA? Or will a standard home laptop be good enough?

As per the response from Karthikeyan, do not try and install HANA on your laptop. There are numerous options for getting your hands on trial systems and cheap options via AWS.

Hope this helps.

aneeth_gajapathi
Explorer
0 Kudos

Thanks a lot Alan. You've made some interesting comments. Yes, landing in a job will be a challenge but I'm determined. Time to wake up the old & idle brain with a good kick 🙂

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Aneeth,

could you please share the links for e-learning of the below

Also, if you have any other related info for clearing the certification, please share it.

My email id is prasanna.mallisetty@gmail.com

Thanks,

Prasanna Kumar

lbreddemann
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Prasanna,

your request for copyrighted learning material had been reported.

Please be aware that this is not tolerated here in SCN.

- Lars

Former Member
0 Kudos
aneeth_gajapathi
Explorer
0 Kudos

Thanks Naveen. Haven't seen the video yet. Will do when I get home tonight. Thanks.

karthikeyan_natarajan4
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Aneeth,

HA200 will tell you about the installation and administration part of SAP HANA, You need to study HA100 and HA200 in order to appear for the C_HANATEC_1 (SAP Certified Technology Associate - SAP HANA 1.0)

If you want to take up the  SAP certified application associate C_HANAIMP_1 then, you need HA100 and HA300.

There is another certification SAP Certified Support Associate - SAP HANA - C_HANASUP_1 which needs HA100, HA200, HANA Administration guide, SQL reference guide, Technical operation manual, client and server installation guide. This is all about certifications and courses related to sap Hana.

If you are good in administration go for C_HANATEC_1 or application, data modeling go for C_HANAIMP_1.

Yes, you can take the e-learning, don't waste your time thinking of installing hana in your laptop or desktop and possibility is very very low. Because HANA can only be installed in the certified hardware which is relatively very high in configuration (example 256 GB of RAM).

Instead, you can use the 30 days trail of cloud share for practicing SAP HANA many people learned in this way and i am one among them. -
http://scn.sap.com/docs/DOC-28191

regards

kartik

aneeth_gajapathi
Explorer
0 Kudos

Thanks Karthikeyan. I'm more interested in the Administration side of things and not on the developing/modelling side. So I have decided to do self-learning with HA100E & HA200R, then sit for Technology Associate ceritification. This leads to few more questions: Is the e-learning made up of e-books and a video of Teachers talking through stuff? Or is it just e-books? (To be honest, I would love it if they send normal books in post. Nothing can beat the feeling of turning pages in a book) Can I purchase and learn current e-learning materials or should I wait for HA100E and HA200R to become available for SAP HANA SPS06 version? It is expected to be available in UK next month. Using the CloudShare trail, will I be able to practice ALL the exercises provided in the e-learnings?

karthikeyan_natarajan4
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Yes, if you take e-learning, you will be given access to videos (along with tutor explanation) for sometime (i am not sure about the time frame, in my case i got for 6 months) along with that, you can download the pdf of HA100 and HA200. With these two books, it easy for you to clear the C_HANATEC_1 exam. But, have a look into the SAP HANA administration guide, Technical operational manual, sql reference guide, installation guide to get some in-depth knowledge.

You can almost practice everything in cloudshare free trail. You will given root user and SAP HANA administrator password, so you will be having all the rights (except uninstalling i believe).

Good Luck

kartik

aneeth_gajapathi
Explorer
0 Kudos

Thanks a lot Karthikeyan. Much appreciated!!