cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Could not connect to host localhost on port 21212

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I just installed SAP NetWeaver Application Server ABAP 7.03 64-bit Trial on my Windows 8 PC. The installation seems to have been successful. When I try to run the sapinstgui.exe I get the following error:

Error while connecting to communication partner - see preceeding messages.

Could not connect to host localhost on port 21212.

java.net.ConnectException: Connection refused: connect

I already have JAVA_HOME set. There is no process running on port 21212. My Java version is 1.6.0.43.

What could be causing this issue ?

Thank you in advance.

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (12)

Answers (12)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello There

Check if you are able to ping the SAP Server from you windows 8 machine. if you are not able to ping try fix that issue first  by making the entries in Host and Service file.

Try access the SAP system from your run command ( SAPGUI <HOST NAME or IP > <Instance No >). If you are able to do it.

On the lighter note please check the compatibility.

Good Luck.

Thanks Regards,

Avinash I 

Former Member
0 Kudos

Maybe you are making the same mistake I made: are you trying to install SAP GUI? If that is the case, sapinstgui.exe is not what you are looking for. SAP GUI installer is in

Frontend&tools\SAP_GUI_for_Windows_7.20_Patchlevel_7_SDN_version_20110701_1428.exe

This tutorial is the best I have found:

Good luck!

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello SAP SCN

I appreciate very much you’re collaboration that is the specific file was looking for, tks a lot. It’s installed now and working.

deeraj_shetty
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Sanel Mesinovic

Delete parameter process.max-file-descriptor and any obsolete projects in /etc/project for user root and try it again.

Regards,

Deeraj Shetty

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Please check media status, media which should be Ok mean not corrupted.

Also downloaded the SAPCAR for windows and try...

BR,

Prabhakar

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Please go to cmd and put the following command.

netstat -ano >>c:\netstat-ano.txt

Then open netstat-ano.txt file from C drive and you can find the 21212 from this file.

BR,

Pabhakar

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Prabhakar,

I've tried to install NWABAPTRIAL70211_64_GW204 SAP GUI on Windows 7 and checked all the steps you mentioned, but I still got the same error as below

Could not connect to host localhost on port 21212

1. JDK version is JDK 5 update 15

2. Java_Home is set.

3. The port 21212 is not using

4. /etc/host added localhost 127.0.0.1

5. windows firewall and anti virus is disabled

What else could I do?

Thanks in advance!

BR, Wei

Former Member
0 Kudos

I have same problem for 3 daays and I still couldn't solve it

Did u find a solution?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Just check that the windows firewall is disabled and anti virus too.

I can provide only these steps . Can you provide more details like what all steps have been tried and are you installing the same sap version on same os.

Thanks

Rishi Abrol

abk07
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Kutay,

Kindly provide us the following details -

1. Which OS are you using?
  2. What exactly are you trying to install and how? Please mention the steps

Agree with Rishi regarding the antivirus and firewall thing. Have you tried disabling antivirus and firewall?

Cheers!
Abhishek

Former Member
0 Kudos

Check

1) Java Runtime Environment JRE 6 installed on server

2) Host file entries

3) Service file check the port is occupied.

Former Member
0 Kudos

If I understand you correctly, you installed the archive from the link and now want to install the SAP system?  In that case you need to run sapinst.exe, not sapinstgui.exe.  sapinst will start the upgrade server process and should automatically call up the gui as well.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Can you please check the below note.

Note 1238121 - SAP JVM for Software Logistics Tools

Check the section

Symptom:

You have done the following:

You first started SAPinst. Then you closed SAPinst GUI. SAPinst is still  running. Then you started a separate SAPinst GUI that displays the following error:

Error while connecting to communication partner - see preceeding messages.

Could not connect to host <hostname> on port <port number>.

Thanks

Rishi abrol

abk07
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Sanel,

The default port of the installer is 21212. So please check if another GUI installer (Process) is running in the background (Hint: Task Manager->Choose the option "Show Processes from all users").

If the process is running, then, you will have to end the process and restart the installation.

Or else navigate to the directory where the installer executable is present from the command prompt,

And use the following command –

sapinstgui.exe -port <port_number_other than 21212>

You can use something like this -

sapinstgui.exe -port 21213

Now you should be able to start the installation.

Cheers!

Abhishek Kadiri

SAP BASIS Consultant

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Abhishek. Nothing is running on port 21212 after the installation. That's the problem !

abk07
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Sanel,

Nothing will run on 21212 port after the installation.The port will only be used during the installation.

During the installation, the default ports 21200 and 21212 are used for communication between SAPinst, GUI server, and SAPinst GUI. SAPinst uses port 21200 to communicate with the GUI server. The GUI server uses port 21212 to communicate with SAPinst GUI. You get an error message if one of these ports is already in use by another service. In that case,

Execute sapinst.exe with the following command line parameter:

GUISERVER_DIALOG_PORT=21213"

For Example: sapinst.exe GUISERVER_DIALOG_PORT=21213

By the way, kindly answer the following questions -

1. Do you have admin rights?
  2. You must disable the firewall and antivirus before starting the installation. Have you done that?

Let me know if the above steps solve your issue.

Cheers!

Abhishek Kadiri

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Sanel,

that's it: sapinst.exe GUISERVER_DIALOG_PORT=21213. A very helpful answer. I have had the same problem. All systems (ECC, SCM, SolMan) were running fine. I tried to install CRM and got the installation Java-Connection error for port 21212. The port was open, all setting had been ok.

The only solution had been your answer. There must be a hidden socket or something like that, that does not show up port 20212 on netstat -an. I did not find any other clear explanation for that behavior.

Many thanks

Axel Arnold Bangert

Wolsftarsse 2

52134 Herzogenrath - 2014.

Former Member
0 Kudos

This works perfectly..

Sriram2009
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

HI Sanel

Kindly refer the SAP Note 1238121

Regards

Ram

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Ram,

I get basic authentication when trying to use the link provided. Which is the username and password to be user ? The one from this website does not seem to work. 😞

Sanel

Sriram2009
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Sanel

Better you can restart the Windows 8 Pc and then try the SAP installation ..

Thanks

Ram

former_member183107
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

The error comes if  :-

1. Incorrect version of JDK.

2. Java_Home is not set.

3.The port is already as an old binary is using it.

You might want to check the process list to see if the installer is already running or run 'netstat' to see if a different program is already using that port. This could also be caused by a restrictive firewall or miss-configured settings in the hosts file.

also,

1. Check entires in /etc/host .... try adding <hostname> to 127.0.0.1

2. Check/set env variable JAVA_HOME

Regards,

Himanshu

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Himanshu,

Thx for your feedback.

In the installation it says JRE. I had the JRE 1.5.0.22 installed, no success. I think the software is not ready for Win 8 yet.

No process is running on port 21212. After the installation is done there I guess there should be a process running on port 21212, which is not the case. 😞

Also if I run the Prerequisites check I get a warning that my OS version is higher than the one supported by SAP installer.

Thx for your time.

Sanel

jude_bradley
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Hello Sanel,

This forum only addresses SAPGUI issues.

This is not a SAPGUI issue,

Try BC-INS

Regards,

Jude

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Jude,

What does the BC-INS stand for ? Could not find the discussion on BC-INS.

Rds,

Sanel

RMW
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

This seems to belong to  SAP NetWeaver Administrator