cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Print button not working in any browser other than IE

Former Member
0 Kudos

I'm currently using Visual Studio 2012 and have downloaded Crystal Reports Developer 13.0.6 msi files on our IIS 7.5 server as well as having created the reports after installing the exe file on my workstation. After reading that Chrome is now supported with Service Pack 6 I thought that our users would be able to print from the Crystal Report Viewer without having to use the Export button, then print from the exported PDF file.

Has anyone else ran into this issue, or found a work-around to enable printing from browsers other than IE? 

Brian

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

former_member183750
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

If you're using ActiveX print mode then this will not work as Chrome does not support / allow ActiveX controls.

- Ludek

Senior Support Engineer AGS Product Support, Global Support Center Canada

Follow us on Twitter

Got Enhancement ideas? Try the SAP Idea Place

Share Your Knowledge in SCN Topic Spaces

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks for replying, Ludek.  The report is set to PDF.  When the print button is clicked in Chrome the cursor changes to the hourglass and a message shows up in the bottom left corner of the browser reading "waiting for brancoent" and stays this way for approximately 15 seconds before the message goes away and the cursor returns to normal. 

In IE, when the print button is clicked, the print dialog box comes up almost immediately.

This is on our company intranet with the application pool set to asp.net 4.0, classic mode.

former_member183750
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

I actually wrote a KBA on Firefox re. a similar issue:

1886745 - Report printing blank pages when viewed in Mozilla Firefox

Reading the help file for Chrome I believe the same will be true here:

https://support.google.com/chrome/answer/142056?hl=en

- Ludek

Former Member
0 Kudos

It seems to be isolated to Chrome.  After testing, the report works fine in IE, Safari and Firefox.  I've tried uninstalling both Chrome and Acrobat, rebooting and re installing each then disabling Chrome's default PDF viewer and enabling Acrobat PDF only to have the same result. 

After disabling Chrome's PDF viewer, all other PDF documents open just fine in the Acrobat Viewer; however, the print button for the Crystal Viewer still does nothing.

I appreciate your suggestions.

former_member183750
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

I'd like you to tell me the setting of the viewer printer mode:

Is it set to PDF?

If it is, I'll have to test this sometime this week.

Oh, does export to PDF work?

- Ludek

Message was edited by: Ludek Uher

Former Member
0 Kudos

Yes, PrintMode is set to PDF:

The Export To PDF button works in all browsers, including Chrome.  Also, if set to Chrome's default PDF viewer I get the following message when clicking the Print button:

If any other PDF viewer is selected is selected in Chrome, I get the hour glass and the waiting on website message for about 15 seconds, then nothing happens.

former_member183750
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

I'll test and get back

- Ludek

former_member183750
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

I tested the issue and duplicated it. Now, there is a note in the Supported Platforms re. Firefox and Chrome:

Now, when the note says "..Chrome is supported based on testing with earlier versions of Chrome...", I have not a clue what version of Chrome this would be. However, it would be a version that was released prior to June 14, 2013 (the date of the Supported Platforms doc).

We pinged the Program Manager for a comment re. future plan, etc.

- Ludek

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks for taking the time to test this issue.  Is there a mailing list I could get placed on to be alerted when an update is available that will correct the issue?

former_member183750
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

There is no mailing list, but when an SP for CRVS releases, I compile a list of fixed issues (e.g.; SAP Crystal Reports, developer version for Microsoft Visual Studio - Service Pack 6 - Fixed Issues) and there is also a new Supported Platforms doc released by Program Management. The list of fixes is then highlighted in the "Featured Content..." section of home page for this Space (http://scn.sap.com/community/crystal-reports-for-visual-studio).

Just realized that it will be a good idea to link to the Supported Platforms in the list of fixes and I'll do that once SP 7 releases (mid October(?)).

I also tweet a link to both the fixed issues list and supported platforms (Twitter).

- Ludek

Former Member
0 Kudos

Same Issue...

Developed web app with VS 2012 ultimate built on(any CPU) win sever 2008 r2 64bits running on IIS 7.5 site .net 4.0 integrated, with CR for VS 13_0_6 Viewer as ActiveX.

On Chrome (Version 33.0.1750.15) Reports Show Ok but on clicking the CrReport Print Button the print dialog does not show...

IE (8 & 10) the Print dialog opens OK...

Is there any update on this issue? Latest SP solved Chrome not showing Print Dialog, ActiveX not supported Issue?

Please advice.

DavIs

former_member183750
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Chrome does not support ActiveX controls. Only IE does. Use PDF Print Mode instead.

- Ludek

Follow us on Twitter

joneubanks
Explorer
0 Kudos

We are running a bit older version of CR for .Net but I wanted to know if in the later releases if the Print To PDF issue has been resolved in Chrome or not.  We don't use the ActiveX feature but setting printmode to PDF in Chrome you get the Export option as opposed to the direct pdf printing like IE through Reader.

I looked through the SP release notes leading up to and including SP8 and don't see this issue mentioned and I want to know if it's worth us upgrading for.

Thanks!

former_member183750
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Well, on Firefox you get this dialog:

On the version of Chrome I am running (Version 33.0.1750.154 m), I do not get any print dialog at all.

This may be due to the following from the CRVS Supported Platforms:

- Ludek

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi i've tried CR in Firefox, but it does not show the print dialog, it only gives export to pdf option. i have set PrintMode to AxtiveX.

former_member183750
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Firefox does not support ActiveX.

See:

ActiveX | Firefox Help

- Ludek

Follow us on Twitter

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

In newer versions of Firefox, there is another entry. Changing the above mentioned ones doesn't solve the problem.

The entry is called "Portable Document Format".

Changing that one to Acrobat makes everything work again.