cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DW 2nd Retrieval Argument Add Fails

Former Member
0 Kudos

PB 12.5.1 (build 4015).  When I go to add a second datawindow retrieval argument using the painter it always says "Column 2 has an invalid name and/or length".  It doesn't seem to matter what name or what type I use.  The work around appears to be to edit the source code and "manually" enter the second argument.

I have also noticed either when I went to PB 12.5.1 or to Windows 7 that my lines in the database painter results pane are almost invisible.  I also was having some script display issues where characters would not be visible (seemed to be related to font selection of Tahoma).  Another staff person showed me an example of if they have a script like 'egneoi' ) and then delete the space between the single quote and the right parens then the single quote isn't visible.

Any comments? ... I see a new EBF for 12.5.2 but still hesitent to go there.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi DA;

Remember this thread ... 

Regards ... Chris

Former Member
0 Kudos

LOL, yes I do and as far as I know my solution of restarting still works ... although my PB development efforts are not what they use to be.  I was hoping that PB 15 would take care of it (or a windows update), providing SAP releases PB 15 and my organization buys it or SAP gives it away to existing licensed customers ;<0)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Fingers & toes crossed for you Intel guys for PB 15 as us AMD cpu based guys are running purrrrrrfectly on all recent PB releases (and then some).  LOL  

Former Member
0 Kudos

So why did you ask me if I remembered this thread?

Former Member
0 Kudos

It popped up again in a new SCN email today that the same question was raised again.

Sorry if I got confused because SCN got confused - so now that makes two of us confused (easy at my age ) - especially if you had resolved the initial problem.

Former Member
0 Kudos

No prob but I thought you had something new

Former Member
0 Kudos

I have a mew AMD machine ... no DW Retrieval Argument problems on that AMD A10 based processor.  

Former Member
0 Kudos

YEH! ... I own AMD stock ... maybe someone will buy them out like SAP did with Sybase and I will double my $.

Answers (4)

Answers (4)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Just put in a command line DOS file: net stop TabletInputService

It works for me. I have an HP Pavilion x360 x64

Solo pon en un archivo de comandos DOS: net stop TabletInputService
A mí me funciona. Tengo una HP Pavilion x360 x64

Saludos desde CR

Gerardo

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi all,

i have an Asus K53S with Windows 7 64 bit with the same problem using Pb 10.5, 11.5 or 12.5.2

I have no problem using PowerBuilder 9.0.3.

I have two services named 'Windows Biometric service' and 'Windows Tablet PC input service', both not running.

Have you some ideas

Thanks

Marco

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Marco;

Its basically a game of hide & seek of shutting down one service after another until the PB IDE DW painter works properly..

Yes, it seems to only affect newer Unicode versions of PB.

Regards ... Chris

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Marco,

Try doing a restart (NOT SHUTDOWN) if you receive the error and see if the problem goes away.  This is how I "fixed" the problem on my PC.

Former Member
0 Kudos

It's weird, but I've found out that the problem was Teamviewer. On some computers it was problem as service, on the others it must be started as an application.

The good news is the problem can be solve online. It meas - stop Teamviewer - you can add a retrieval argument.

You start Teamviewer - you can't do it. Try to stop everything suspicious.

Good luck.

I know, how you feel. I was going nut about not to be able edit retrieval arguments. I came accros to different solutions included HP things, but it wasn't my case.

Former Member
0 Kudos

It isn't working now and I have no application, process, or service called Teamviewer.  But I did see that the service TabletInputService is listed under services as stopped even though I have it disabled under control panel.  I am going back to review that service as still suspicious.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

it is not a good solution, it is a desperate one. Try to kill all running processes one after one to find out where is the problem (task manager). First kill every suspicious process (if you can) and then check datawindow painter. Teamviewer is just another process we've found as problematic. It could be another one in your computer. I suspect there is a calling some function/s from .NET whose are shared PowerBuilder <-> another application / process.

It will turn out where is the problem (maybe).

Former Member
0 Kudos

One more thing. If it won't work, you must add a retrieval arguments to datawindow in syntax thru Edit source. It's easier  to add it when a datawindow is saved with syntax saved in the 'Convert to synax' mode than saved in the 'Grafic mode'.

Former Member
0 Kudos

I prefer graphic mode and do not like when other staff have a habit/strategy of switching to syntax mode.  Sometimes the logic does not convert back to graphics and then you have to live with syntax mode or spend resources going back to graphic.  I have not found the "desperate" solution to be that hard when DW is in graphic mode.

I may try your suggestion killing all running processes ... the next time it is broke on my PC.  So far today it is working fine.  I'll keep you posted as I suspect it will be broke again soon.  If not, then I will have my coworker also physically delete the TableInputService (even though I had the issue return after this trouble shooting action).

Thank You and I appreciate your responses

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

you are very welcome. I'm sorry it didn't help. As Chris said its like finding a "needle in a haystack".

I was lucky, it took me only 2 hours. I worked from home late night (job rush) and I used TeamViewer to connect to my computer at work. This was unusuall state so I knew what to look for.

But maybe there is another solution for you. One of my colleaque does a development under Virtual Machine. He says he likes 'pure' state.

I've never identify myself with such kind of work, but maybe it could help.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi D;

If you have an HP machine ....

Many HP computer systems come preloaded with a program called Digital Persona. This program is used by the finger print scanner built into many of their laptop systems. They also install it on desktop machines. There is a service created called either "Authentication Service" or "Biometric Authentication Service." These services must be stopped in order for the retrieval argument error to be resolved.

On the HP Elitebook 2740p stopping the service for the touch pad called "Tablet PC Input Service" will resolve the retrieval argument error.

Another piece of software to look for is DisplayFusion multi-monitor tool. Killing that process will also resolve the problem.

HTH

Regards ... Chris

Former Member
0 Kudos

LOL ...
I have a HP desktop with "Tablet PC Input Service", start up type of "Manual".  I disabled service, restarted
PC, and problem is gone.  I did not have service "Authentication Service" or "Biometric Authentication
Service".

On one hand Thanks so much!!! But on the other, Really!!!  Correct Answer Again Chris;<0)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Yep .. this is a really WEIRD one for sure!  LOL

Former Member
0 Kudos

Sorry, but still an issue. Yesterday PB let me add the second argument and return back from the painter so I assumed the problem was gone. Today I tested my application and the DW wasn't working.  I went to put the retrieval arguments in the DW header in a computed field.  The problem here is that the second retrieval argument doesn't appear in the GUI for selection.  However, I typed in the second retrieval argument name and that worked so not too bad.

Now I go to the data source GUI and make changes to fields and where clause and things OK.  But when I go to design, retrieval arguments the second retrieval argument name doesn’t appear.  If I try to put the name in then I am back to the original trap "Column 2 has an invalid name and/or length”.  I also can’t delete and add back the argument.  I go to control panel, admin tools, services and the “Tablet PC Input Service” still says disabled.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Did you check for any of the other things I mentioned?

Former Member
0 Kudos

I see if I can check with network/pc setup staff next week as I am not always in control of what's on my PC and maybe even what I can see.  I don't see anything called Digital Persona under Control Panel programs.  I didn't see those other services"Authentication Service" or "Biometric Authentication Service" where I saw the tablet service (CP, admin, services).  I don't see DisplayFusion under CP programs, but I do have two monitors.  Have a great weekend and thanks again for continued support.

Former Member
0 Kudos

I did a start, run, msconfig and checked services there too ... none listed.  Problem still exists with Tablet PC Input Service disabled and I have no more to check.

Former Member
0 Kudos

As already mentioned in this thread by Chris, regarding Digital Persona, check Task Manager for a DPAgent.exe or DPAgent.exe (32).   Just kill those processes, if you have them running.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Chris talked about stopping services so that was what I concentrated on.  In the last two weeks I have experienced this "fixed" once, broke again for no apparent reason, and now "fixed" but I did nothing.  The one service is disabled, the other services do not exist, and I have no exe running in task manager called Digital Persona, DPAgent.exe or DPAgent.exe (32).  Providing this becomes broke again, I will check task manager then.  Maybe do a reboot, take two aspirin, and see what happens.  Maybe memory issue or I do something in my daily travels that starts something that breaks it or some kind of memory issue.... A CLUE ... my coworker and I have been taking turns with this issue and she just had it.  I did all the same checks I did on my PC (her PC was actually set up just like mine) and it didn't appear that it should be broke.  I did a hard shut down and boot and WALLA... issue is gone.  Time for another cup of tea.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi DA;

FWIW: I only use HP laptops and have never had these issues even with these services (features) running. However, I only buy AMD (which I like way better) CPU equipped HP machines. I wonder if this is an INTEL related issue?

Good luck and have a cuppa (my English mother's name for a "cup of tea") for me! 

Regards ... Chris

Former Member
0 Kudos

The retrieval argument DW processing is broke again ... I guess I just have to do DW argument work every other day ;<0( ... Yes, I never would of chosen an HP if given the choice, but who is really to blame is a mystery it appears ... SAP PB, INTEL, HP, Microsoft or ... hey, I connect to an Oracle database when I
have to, maybe it is Oracle's fault.  At least the weekend is here and I can switch to something stronger than tea ;<0)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Chris,

OK, I just realized that the service TabletInputService shows stopped under task manager services tab even though the service is disabled under control panel, administrative tools, services.  I am thinking this is causing my problem based on your responses and a past action.  I typically do not deal with services, but would tend to want to delete this service now.  Scared that I might fix one thing but break others (certainly doesn't sound that way though).

After a phone conversation with PC admin staff, I have deleted the service by going to cmd line (sc delete "TabletInputService").  For now again, the PB multiple retrieval argument issue is resolved and I am not aware of anything else with my PC that is broke.  Seems like I am playing with fire though.

Thanks again for all your help and more comments welcomed ;<0)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Excellent .. I am glad that you got it working (again)!  

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Chris,

Ok, now it isn't working again (I rebooted a second time just to make sure and it broke) and TabletInputService is no where to be found.  My eye just caught a service called "Windows Biometric Service" that is stopped.  It is weird how twice now it appeared I "fixed" the issue just for it to come back.  I appear to be at a DW dead end again without working with source code instead of with the painter to manipulate multiple retrieval argument datawindows.

Former Member
0 Kudos

I wonder if you might want to install the AUTORUNS application from the SysInternals website and see exactly what services are being set/restarted based on your registry settings?

FYI:  http://technet.microsoft.com/en-ca/sysinternals/bb963902.aspx

Former Member
0 Kudos

For now I think (not that I have much choice) I am going to live with the updating DW Retr Arg source code as a solution and wait for either a new version/EBF of PB or a new non-HP machine.  Thanks Chris even though I am still stuck ... have a great holiday ... I'll check back on Wednesday for any other comments, but I really don't feel like trying to figure out what is going on with all these services (many that I am unfamiliar with) and strange behavior that shouldn't be my issue.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Chris,

Today I came to work after the long weekend and noticed PB was taking the 2nd retrieval arg ... all day 2RA was working.  I decided to shutdown my PC in the afternoon.  Then PB 2RA was broke when I booted back up.  I am not sure why, but I decided to do a restart after looking into a few things, unsuccessful in trying to stop a few processes as Eva suggested until the only ones left looked like I would destroy my PC if ending them.  Then PB 2RA was fixed.  Keep in mind that now I am not running any other application other than PB after I login into the network (although the network gods stuff is doing whatever).

Now I have a consistent scenario/fix to report.  I boot my machine up cold.  PB 2RA is broke.  I do a restart and PB 2RA is fixed.  I repeated this 3 times now with the same results.  Any comments appreciated as always.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi DA;

Sounds like something being pushed back out to your workstation by the network at login time or maybe a side effect of your anti-virus software. Very weird as it seems intermittent!

Unfortunately, its like finding a "needle in a haystack". There are so many combinations and permutations possible. 

Regards ... Chris