cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Splitting/Separating ASCS from PAS (CI) in SAP NW PI 7.11 ABAP+Java System

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Gurus,

We have a SAP Netweaver PI 7.11 Dual-Stack System that currently has only PAS (CI) instance. We would like to perform split of ASCS (ABAP Central Service Instance) from PAS (CI). We believe this is done via SWPM sapinst. Can you advise on the steps to consider in performing the split and procedures?

I would appreciate your help and assistance on this. Thanks.

Best regards,

Philip

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

BorisZarske
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Hi Philip,

Yes, the procedure to split off the ASCS instance from an existing PAS instance is performed with software provisioning manager and is described in the standard installation guide in section "Splitting Off a Central Services Instance for ABAP from an Existing Primary Application Server Instance" in chapter "Additional Information".

You can always find the latest version  of the guide under http://service.sap.com/sltoolset --> Software Logistics Toolset 1.0 --> Documentation --> Software Provisioning Manager --> Installing Systems Based on NW 7.1 or Higher-SW Prov.Mgr.1.0 --> <Your Database> --> <Your operating system> --> ABAP+Java.

If you should be missing any information in the section referenced above, please let me know.

Best regards,

Boris

former_member186845
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hello Philip,

The information that Boris pointed above is completely correct. If you do not mind Boris, I would just add one more information: The Installation Guide can be found under:

http://www.service.sap.com/sltoolset ->

Software Logistic Toolset 1.0 ->

[Scroll down the page] Software Provisioning Manager ->

Installing Systems Based on NW 7.1 or Higher-SW Prov.Mgr.1.0

Thanks and regards,

Henrique Girardi

SAP Active Global Support

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Boris, Hi Henrique,

Thanks for the response. I just downloaded the standards installation guide from the http://service.sap.com/sltoolset.

Reading the portion "Splitting Off a Central Services Instance for ABAP from an Existing Primary Application Server Instance" describing the pre-requisites, I came across below...

Prerequisites

The existing SAP system of the primary application server instance must meet the following requirements:

- It was upgraded to an SAP system based on SAP NetWeaver 7.3 or higher

- It does not yet have an ASCS instance

It mentions that we should be at SAP NW 7.3 or higher to be able to split. We are only at SAP NW 7.11 for PI. If this is the case, then we cannot perform the split. Is this correct?

Likewise, can we still use this document even if we are not in SAP NW 7.3?

Another question I'd like to ask related to splitting PAS/ASCS is that, is this a required

set-up or configuration? Meaning, do old systems that has non-splitted PAS is required to be splitted? And if yes, can you give me documents/sap notes stating this release and the reason why? Likewise, can you share what benefits we can get with this?

Apologies for too many questions, but I am also trying to search for articles by googling, discussing pointers for splitting ASCS from PAS, but it appears that there is not a lot of SAP customers/users that has published/posts regarding this.

I would appreciate your response, thanks.

Regards,

Philip

former_member186845
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hello Philip,

I just post a blog talking about this topic. In this post I talked about this subject. I would recommened to check the post in order to get further details:

http://scn.sap.com/community/netweaver-administrator/blog/2013/12/04/why-splitting-off-the-ascs-from...

Regarding your question about the SAP NetWeaver 7.3, I believe it is a part of the guide that is outdated. I will contact the owner to update this information. It is possible splitting off the ASCS from PAS in all systems based on SAP NetWeaver 7.1 or higher.

Check the menu SAP NetWeaver 7.1 -> <database> -> Additional SAP System Instance in the SWPM. You will find the option to split off ASCS from PAS.

Thanks for your understanding.

Best Regards,

Henrique Girardi

SAP Active Global Support

BorisZarske
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Hello Henrique,

Thanks, I just added your blog to the "Featured Content" section on the space .

Best regards,

Boris

former_member186845
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Boris,

Thank you! I believe it will be very helpful for everyone to get this information faster

Best Regards,

Henrique

Answers (0)