cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Remove compound characteristic from Analysis and Webi reports in BW

former_member234306
Participant
0 Kudos

We're on Business Objects 4.0 SP7 Patch 2 using BW, Bex Queries and BICS connections.  Until we installed SP7, reports showed only cost center and not controlling area/cost center. Our controlling area is one number that will never change. Our users would like to see just cost center in their Analysis and Webi reports.

I've looked at this article, but since we don't have universes, it would need to be implemented in all of our webi reports as well as any the users have modified in their favorites.

http://scn.sap.com/community/businessobjects-web-intelligence/blog/2011/12/07/removing-compounded-ob...

Is there a way to default the value in BW so that we'd only see Cost Center in Business Objects?

This is posted in the wrong area (Analysis for Office specific instead of general BW), can someone suggest where I should post it? Thank you. Susan

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

On the Analysis side you can simply set a constant filter on the BEx query for your controlling area, then the key of the cost center will not be compounded anymore.

Best regards,

Victor

former_member234306
Participant
0 Kudos

If it can be done on the Bex query, that would fix it in Webi as well right, since it uses the same query?

Ingo,I'm still trying to figure out how I have a compounded and a non-compounded object in Webi. 

IngoH
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Susan,

a filter doesn't solve the problem because it doesn't change the display.

When you create a report with Web Intelligence with a compounded object that in the details you will see a compounded and non-compounded object which you can use in the report

Ingo

Former Member
0 Kudos

On the left hand side a data source without any filters, on the right hand side with a fixed filter on a specific controlling area (no other settings changed):

So I guess this would answer your question on the Analysis side, on the Web Intelligence side Ingo has already replied.

Best regards,

Victor

former_member234306
Participant
0 Kudos

Excellent!  Is it obvious how to set a constant filter on the Bex query for the controlling area?

I found the non-compounded key in webi, thank you Ingo.

Former Member
0 Kudos

I think of your BEx expert-colleagues would probably say it is obvious, but anyway, here is how the filter looks like:

After a drag & drop of the controlling area into the Characteristic Restrictions, you can add the filter by right-clicking on it and hitting restrict.

Best regards,

Victor

IngoH
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello Susan,

if you set a filter, then you will also only see obvioulsy the filtered data set.

In Analysis a compounded characteristic should also behave "dynamically" - means that when both of the compounded objects are shown you should only see the keys (non-compounded) and if you show the inner object from the compounded objects standalone, then you will see the compounded key as otherwise the keys are not unique

ingo

former_member234306
Participant
0 Kudos

Victor, Thank you for the screen print.

Ingo, I understand what you are saying about the compounded objects.  In our case, the decision was made to only have one controlling area for our company.  So our cost center numbers are unique.  If that were not the case, we would need both objects in order for the information to be meaningful.

My last question is since Webi uses the Bex query, after the filter on controlling area is added, will I still see the cost center non-compounded as an object?  My Bex person is out today so I am unable to test it.

Thank you.  Susan

IngoH
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello Susan,

even if you add the filter the list of fields does not change in Web Intelligence so you still will see the compounded and non-compounded objects.

if there is only on area you might want to think about of removing the compounding

Ingo

former_member234306
Participant
0 Kudos

That's what I thought, but my manager was worried if we did that then we are not using standard SAP practices, since SAP ECC ties controlling area and cost center together.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Susan,

As Ingo said, you have the non compounding option when you bring the cost center, it should be the last attribute on the cost center Attributes.

if you are in a older support package, and that option (non compounding) is not available you can use a formula in Webi using the "replace" function.

example your our controlling area is 0001 and  your cost center is 50000,  you see 0001/50000 on the report, you use the formula =replace([costcenter];"0001/";"")

regards

Rodrigo Silva

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

IngoH
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello Susan,

in Web Intelligence you have a compounded and a non-compounded object, so it is simply a question of which object you put into the report

regards

Ingo Hilgefort, SAP