Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

JAVA Settigns for Tomcat ....

former_member186487
Participant
0 Kudos

Hello,

We are on BI 4.1. Are there any recommandations regarding the setting of JAVA for Tomcat only. I am looking something like note "1346684 - "Java heap space" in Tomcat Web Application". Please let me know if settings are valid BI 4.1 as well. Does Initial Pool and Maximum Pool have to be same in BI 4.1 Tomacat 7?

I know how to change them using the Config tool for Tomcat.

Plese advice.

Regards,

SS

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Update Java Options for Tomcat

• <install location>/sap_bobj/tomcat/bin/setenv.sh

• Start > Programs > Tomcat > Configure Tomcat >

Java

• JAVA_OPTS="-Xms128m –Xmx2048m -XX:MaxPermSize=512m“

Xmx: Max Heap size

Xms: Min amd  Initial Heap Size

XX:MaxPermSize: In this past specially to modify in the Linux. By default it will be 384 MB, we have to change that to 512 MB

you can also increase XMX to 4 Gb or 8GB based on your traffic.

Set Tomcat Garbage Collector

Java 7: JAVA_OPTS=“-XX:+UseGC1“

former_member186487
Participant
0 Kudos

Thank you for reply.

I have a confusion about Initial and Maximum Pool. I was reading following notes 1753341, 1768835, 1900444. The 1900444 states that Initial should be empty. Another two notes set the initial to quite high. So I am comming to conclusion that Initial does not have to empty as it is comming out of the box for BI 4.1 on Windows. The Max can be as per the need based the notes and your suggestion.

Correct? Is there any guidelines on this by SAP?

Please advice.

Regards,

SS

Former Member
0 Kudos

i would request you to set the values as below. -Xms128m –Xmx2048m -XX:MaxPermSize=512m .

These are the sufficient to run a Tomcat with the BO webapps installed.

Modification needs to be done based on the traffic on the Tomcat.

Going down the line you can fine tune these parameters. Frequently check the tomcat logs for Java OutOfMemory exceptions ( Increase XMX Value) ,java.lang.OutOfMemoryError ( increase XX:Maxpermsize)

Make sure you are also applying Garbage Collector in Java Options

JAVA_OPTS=“-XX:+UseGC1“

Former Member
0 Kudos

Firstly the issue is with Apache tomcat and cannot be raised with SAP. Tomcat heap allocation parameters could be set as mentioned above by JRK, which looks good and in addition 2048 Mb is more than what is really required. It would be sufficient enough.

Setting an initial memory is to ensure that the RAM memory is specifically allocated to tomcat service and at any point of time the same memory space would be made available at any point of time.

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

former_member280203
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi ,

I have updated the tomcat maximum memory pool size from 2048 to 4096 in  the tomcat configuration console (start-->apache tomcat bi 4 properies-->java ) and restarted the tomcat inBI 4.1. but i could not able  to see the updated  Xmx value in the setenv file .

i can see only  the default value Xmx2048m in the setenv file . is there any specific reason ,this value was not updated.

please help me.

Regards,

Divi.

denis_konovalov
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

@Divi - Please open your own threads for different issues/questions.

denis_konovalov
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

You should tune this parameters based on your need and specifics of your deployment.

See this for best approach :

http://www.tomcatexpert.com/blog/2011/11/22/performance-tuning-jvm-running-tomcat