cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

how to change CMS name

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi All,

After having done a full BO 4.1 SP1 patch 2 installation I have heard about one of our corporate security requirements.

To the outside world we do not want to display any servernames ip addresses etc. This makes sense I guess.

To be more specific. We are rolling out BO Mobile reports to end users. And in the BO mobile app there is the requirement to fill in the CMS name. I got a comment that there is a server name in there.

The CMS name is a server name. This is not allowed accoring to our security team. We have implemented a reverse proxy to hide all internal system information (ipadresses, server names). For the server URL we have a DNS name to the virtual IP.

Can anybody tell me how to accomplish? I am getting a bit confused:

I know how to change a cluster name But I have no clue if it is possible to change the CMS name. (or even better keep de CMS name and find another solution for hiding the CMS name from the mobile app.

Thanks in advance for sharing your thoughts!

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Please check the below details.

If we have multiple nodes in the Cluster, by default a CMS cluster name reflects the name of the first CMS that we install.

This Document allows you to change the name of a cluster that is already installed and running. To change the cluster name, you need only stop one of the CMS cluster members. The remaining CMS cluster members are dynamically notified of the change.

For optimal performance, after changing the name of the CMS cluster reconfigure each Business Objects server so that it registers with the CMS cluster, rather than with an individual CMS.

To change the cluster name on Windows:

Use the CCM to stop any SIA that is a member of the cluster.

Click SIA Properties on the toolbar.

Click the Configuration tab.

Select the Change Cluster Name to check box.

Type the new name for the cluster.

But the cluster name is prefixed by the @ symbol.

For instance, if your existing CMS is called PROD1, then the default cluster name is @BI-PROD

Click OK and then start the Central Management Server.

The CMS cluster name is now changed. All other CMS cluster members are dynamically notified of the new cluster name (although it may take several minutes for your changes to propagate across cluster members).

Go to the Servers management area of the CMC and check that all of your servers remain enabled. If necessary, enable any servers that have been disabled by your changes

Update Cluster Name in Web Applications:

Cluster name is defined in the BO, now we have to update the same in the Business Intelligence 4.0 web applications (Netweaver, Websphere, Tomcat, Weblogic, JBOSS)

If you have added additional CMSs to your deployment, and you are using a Java application server, you must modify the PlatformServices.properties file in the webapps/BOE/WEB-INF/config/custom directory of your web application deployment.

To define cluster properties for the BOE web application :

1.Access the custom folder for the BOE.war file on the computer hosting the web applications.
If you are using the Tomcat web application server installed with SAP BusinessObjects Business Intelligence platform, you can access the following folder:

C:Program Files (x86)/SAP BusinessObjects/Tomcat6/webapps/BOE/WEB-INF/config/custom

Tip:

If you are using a web application server that does not enable direct access to the deployed web applications, you can use the following folder in your product installation to modify the BOE.war file.

<INSTALLDIR>SAP BusinessObjects /Business Intelligence platform 4.0/warfiles/webapps/BOE/WEB-INF/config/custom.

You will have to later redeploy the modified BOE.war file.

2.Create a new file.Use Notepad or any other text editing utility.
3. Specify CMC cluster properties for each cluster in your deployment.
Precede each cluster name with an @ symbol, and separate each CMS name with a comma (,).
The port number is separated from the CMS name with a colon (:). The port number is assumed to be 6400 unless it is specified.
Use the cms.clusters property to specify each cluster in your deployment. For example,

cms.clusters=@samplecluster,@samplecluster2, @samplecluster3. Use the

cms.clusters.[cluster name] property to specify each CMS in the cluster. For example:

cms.clusters=@samplecluster,@samplecluster2, @samplecluster3

cms.clusters.samplecluster=cmsone:6400,cmstwo

cms.clusters.samplecluster2=cms3,cms4, cms5

cms.clusters.samplecluster3=aps05

Below is the example:

cms.clusters=@BI-PROD

cms.clusters.BI-PROD=BXY.PROD1.XYZ.COM:6400, BXY.PROD2.XYZ.COM:6400, BXY.PROD3.XYZ.COM:6400, BXY.PROD4.XYZ.COM:6400

Make sure that there are no syntax issues.

4. Save the file with the PlatformServices.properties name.

5. Restart the web application server.

If you create the PlatformServices.properties file in the war files (i.e C:\Program Files (x86)\SAP BusinessObjects\SAP BusinessObjects Enterprise XI 4.0\warfiles\webapps\BOE\WEB-INF\config\custom). You need to redeploy the BOE webapps.

The new properties take affect only after the modified BOE web application is redeployed on the computer running the web application server. Use WDeploy to redeploy the WAR file on the web application server.

For more information on using WDeploy, see the SAP BusinessObjects Business Intelligence Platform Web Application Deployment Guide.

Once you complete the activity and update your cluster name in BI Launchpad properties and Opendocument properties to reflect in the login screens.

Use the same cluster name when you try to login in Mobile application

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear Prasad, thank you for the very detailed instructions. I will start trying. I was already expecting a lot of work.

One of my doubts maybe you can answer:

- I am not going to create a new SIA, I will only change the cluster name (and update all tomcat web applications, and maybe redeploy them.)

- so my doubt: if I already did lots of customizations to APS'es etc they will stay intact. No need to reconfigure my services related to this specific SIA?

Thanks again. After I tested it I will report my question as being answered!

Former Member
0 Kudos

Yes, just change the cluster name in SIA and configure the same in your web applications,

No Need to make changes in the services with the reference of the cluster name.

Here you are just changing the cluster name.No Need to again make the APS sizing or changes.

Former Member
0 Kudos

If you are creating a new SIA with only CMS service, as mentioned by JRK no need to make changes for other services.

However if you are including a new APS there are certain points to be taken into account with regards to platform search indexing service. It would be best to point the APS to the same master data and not to any other.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear Prasad,

Ok we have been trying. On a clean system just for testing purporses. First I have installed BO with the default settings. (clustername = systemname WIN-5T3NONAKGBE:6400)

From CCM we have followed the steps:

Change the clustername into COMPANYDATAWAREHOUSE   (did not use an @ in front there, did not use the 6400 portnumer. So new Clustername is just COMPANYDATAWAREHOUSE.

I have also updated the tomcat webapps in this location:

C:\Program Files (x86)\SAP BusinessObjects\tomcat\webapps\BOE\WEB-INF\config\custom

and put a file in there PlatformServices.properties

content of this file is exacly like this:

cms.clusters=@COMPANYDATAWAREHOUSE

cms.clusters.COMPANYDATAWAREHOUSE=WIN-5T3NONAKGBE:6400

This WIN-5T3NONAKGBE:6400 is the name of the first CMS.

So I restarted the tomcat server. (no need to redeploy webapps because I was modifying directly on the tomcat location).

When I go to launchpad I do not get the required result. When I put the clustername in the system name I get this message:

"Accountgegevens niet herkend: Kan CMS 'COMPANYDATAWAREHOUSE' niet bereiken. Geef de juiste host en poort op en controleer op netwerkproblemen. (FWM 20030)"

(sorry dutch, let me translate: cannot reach CMS COMPANYDATAWAREHOUSE.. check your host and port and check for network issues).

MY SIA name in CCM still shows:

Server Intelligence Agent (WIN-5T3NONAKGBE).

When I change the system name to: WIN-5T3NONAKGBE:6400 I can still login.

So, I think the change of my clustername was succesfull. But I do not understand what is the next step to take to make it possible to login to BO with COMPANYDATAWAREHOUSE instead of WIN-5T3NONAKGBE:6400.

Do I have to create a new SIA? and if so, remove the old SIA? Thanks. Under some project pressure here. Your reply would be really appreciated!

Former Member
0 Kudos

No Need to create SIA and remove the OLD SIA.

cluster name is prefixed by the @ symbol, You have to update the cluster name with @CLSUTERNAME.

Follow the same steps which were mentioned in my above. I would request you to recheck your configuration.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Sometimes you just have to let it go for one day. I tried again and it works perfectly as you described. Think somewhere made some syntax mistakes. Thanks a lot!

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

0 Kudos

I followed the above mentioned steps to change the cluster name,  but this cluster name can be used only when every user login with the original CMS name first and then he can use the alias name.We have more than 1000 users.

Once for every user once he login with original CMS name, cluster name is getting stored in the profile and then he is successfull after

Is there any way to automate this.

0 Kudos

Hi Satya,

You can do this by clearing your Tomcat cache. Assuming you are running Windows:

1. Stop Tomcat
  2. Go into your \SAP BusinessObjects\tomcat\work\Catalina folder and delete the localhost folder
  3. Start Tomcat - note this can take between 20-30 minutes for Tomcat to build up the localhost folder again so don't panic this is normal

That should work - let me know if not ?

Cheers

Clint

Former Member
0 Kudos

I followed these steps to change the cluster name. But the alias name works only after you login with original CMS clusters in IDT.For example

1)I need to login with CMS name first.

2)then login happens using the alias name.

Is there any way we can automate this process because i dont want every user to do this step first.

Please help.