cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PB 11.5.1 application crash due to Win8 touchscreen

vlad1
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi, PB 11.5.1.4011 application - runs fine on absolutely all windows versions, but on Win8 with touchscreen, it produces a generic "xxxxx.exe has stopped working error" when tabbing or clicking into the field.

I found a confirmation of this on stackoverflow topic, where the problem was described as:

"We have serious issues with running a PB10 application on Windows 8 computers.

Application runs fine until user enters text in datawindow fields, the application "stopped working". The problem is that it happens randomly, 10 fields can be entered without a problem but at the next field the "stopped working" pops up en the application is closed the next time it might happen after entering 2 fields."

However, the original author also added a while later that this is only due to Win8 Touch Screens:

"We finally found the issue. The problem only occurs on computers with a touch screen. By disabling the Touch Keyboard service the PB program runs perfect"

Obviously, disabling Touch Keyboard service is the suggested solution, but I just wondered has anyone else found alternative solutions (apart from migrating to newer Powerbuilder)? Would running the application in "compatibility mode" with a previous version of Windows maybe do it?

Thanks

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Vlad;

I seriously doubt that you can do anything more than turn this feature off for the moment as:

a) PB 10 (even 12.5) is not certified for W8

b) PB 15 will be the first PB version tested on W8

Regards ... Chris

vlad1
Participant
0 Kudos

Cheers Chris.

I assumed as much, just wondering if someone maybe came up with a better solution in the meantime, maybe through later EBFs than 4011.

Oh well, waiting for 15...

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

I have the same problem that My powerbuilder application work fine in windows 8 without touch screen but not in surface pro 1. I will go back home later to test again.

former_member190719
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Must be something about the combination of touch screen and Windows 8.  I've done apps for touch screen capable monitors and Windows 7 with PowerBuilder and they worked fine.

Former Member
0 Kudos

hi Bruce ,

can you tell me how could you handle the gesture events in the PB

thanks in advance

former_member190719
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

I didn't.  The app I worked on just had an on screen keypad (not one built in, but one we showed in the app).