cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Closing company code FI impact

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Guru

We have two company codes xxx1 and xxx2, business requriement is close xxx2 company code and transfer all the GL balance. customer and vendor open items. we have 7 fixed asset which we need to transfer to xxx1 company code.

I am new to FI. can you please tell me how can we transfer the GL balance from Company code xxx2 to xxx1?

I have seen some threads from the community, but still i am confoused. we are not using the SLO migration service for that. SD, MM and WM part is done. Now FI need to transfer all the open items and balances to XXX1 company code. then we have to closed all gl account for posting.

I know how to lock the GL accounts from FS00 and lock it from there. is there is any way how to lock company code GL accounts in one short? or do we have to lock it one by one. if i lock GL accounts, same GL account numbers are using in other company codes as well? if i lock in one company code can user will post GL entries to other company code?

Cost center can be lock from KS02? is that right.

Transaction code for GL open items? is there is any T-Code for transfer GL Account balance to company code xxx2 to Company code.xxx1?

after every thing how to unactive the company code? any transaction code?

if some one has any documentation plesae send it to me at deleted

what are the other steps which need to be consider to close the company code.

Regards

Nasir

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Private_Member_10672
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Nasir,

Interesting Qs about co.code transfer. Well, to answer all the Qs one has to take few assumptions about the set up in your instance.

Please find my reply below in bold;

I am new to FI. can you please tell me how can we transfer the GL balance from Company code xxx2 to xxx1?I have seen some threads from the community, but still i am confoused. we are not using the SLO migration service for that. SD, MM and WM part is done. Now FI need to transfer all the open items and balances to XXX1 company code. then we have to closed all gl account for posting.

GL Balance Transfer- You can use FB01/F-02 and use fast entry screen for Dr. and Cr. entries. Provide XL template with the fields that you need to your business users, and they'll get back with respective Dr. and Cr. GL entries from sending and receiving co.code. (You can always simulate before posting). Here's a caveat,

AR/AP Balance Transfer- Recon. Gls would need a special treatment coz they can't be posted directly. AR/AP balances can also be transferred thru the same t.code where you'll have to select the different posting keys pertaining to vendors/customers Dr. and Cr. In the background, recon. sub-ledger will be posted automatically in sending and receiving co.codes.

Assets Balance Transfer- It would be tricky part. ABT1N is used for Interco assets transfer. If it does not go well then be ready to adjust the recon. GLs through OSAV. You mentioned there are very few assets to transfer, so if it really gives hard time for asset transfer in SAP, then you can always check with business if they can accommodate through some sort of adjustment across both the co.codes considering small number of assets. Sometimes, it's taken care off that way. (here my assumptions is that your client is flexible)

I know how to lock the GL accounts from FS00 and lock it from there. is there is any way how to lock company code GL accounts in one short? or do we have to lock it one by one. if i lock GL accounts, same GL account numbers are using in other company codes as well? if i lock in one company code can user will post GL entries to other company code?

GLs are co.code specific though overlapping across different co.codes. t.code OB_GLACC12 is used to mass change GLs which includes deletion too. This would among your last steps before closing the door for sending co.code! Make sure Trial balance & B/S is ZERO in the sending co.code before running OB_GLACC12. And Yes, users will be able to post entries in other co.code successfully for the same GL.

Cost center can be lock from KS02? is that right.

Yes, but make sure you lock only those CC which are assigned to sending co.code. You can also delete them from same t.code, which is recommended. (If you lock, then they'll still appear in a drop down, so why bother users later on?) Remember, Cost center master is created at Co.Area level, so you don't want to accidentally block/delete 'em for good co.code.

Transaction code for GL open items? is there is any T-Code for transfer GL Account balance to company code xxx2 to Company code.xxx1?

I mentioned a couple in my first para of reply.Keep it simple!

after every thing how to unactive the company code? any transaction code?

Actually, it's a very imp.question. Now, it depends on your client however they want? Do then absolutely want to delete the co.code from system, and not want to see at all in future?

Well, You will need to de-couple (un-assign) all the stuffs like Posting Period Variant, Fiscal year variant, Credit Control Area, Company, Chart of Accounts, Also remove assignment of the sending co.code from Controlling Area in OKKP. You may want to check the un-assignment to Sales org. and Purchase Org.

Conclusion- Many of the testings, specially data transfer etc. you can perform in QA client just to get feel, and see the error messages, and their respective resolution. I'm sure during a way, and in de-coupling the co.code config. steps, you'll come across various messages, and hurdles, but they can be passed through patience and persistence.

Good Luck!

Thanks,

Nirav

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Nirav

Thanks a lot for your reply.

I have some more questions, Please let me know if i am right with my approach or not? if i am wrong, Please let me know how to proceed further.

I will take out the all the open items from

FBL1N (Vendors)

FBL3N (GL open items)

FBL5N (Customers)

Then transfer all the open items to into Excel sheet.

Do we have to create offsetting accounts like.

GL uplaod Offsetting A/C

Vendor upload Offsetting A/C

Customer upload Offsetting A/C

After conformation from business user. do we have to upload through LSMW or BDC? i am not sure how to use both of them. I have done some research on LSMW is for master data transfer and BDC is for Transactional data transfer? is that right. how can we find weather do we have some existing BDC avaiable in system

maybe this is a silly question, just want to clear my self. once we transfer the data from CC xxx2 to xxx1 through LSMW or BDC.

Does that data will delete automatically from the xxx2. if not then what is a mean by clearing company code. in SAP transactional data will not be delete in any case. right?

Business requirement is clear the company code but if they want to see the financial report for xxx2 company code, business may be able to see it.

Do have some documentation or any guildline for LSMW or BDC? which i can use in QA client for data upload. please send me at my email address: nasrnnit@gmail.com

Nirav, you mentioned in AP/AR, about the posting key, can you please ellobrate this little more if you don't mind? we do have reconciliaition A/C's for AP/AR. can we use same account.

Waiting for your valuable reply.

Thanks

Nasir

Private_Member_10672
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi,

You're giving me an impression that you're relatively new to SAP, and involved in a difficult project of co.code transfer in one of your very first assignments!

Anyways, suggestions may vary from person to person and depending on your SAP instance. Still, let me try to clear some clouds; (Reply in bold)

I will take out the all the open items from

FBL1N (Vendors)

FBL3N (GL open items)

FBL5N (Customers)

Why do you need to do this exercise? If SAP is already operational, then your business users already know these t.codes and they will need to provide you the list. You can help them extract, but it's them who need to validate the trial balance before transfer.

Then transfer all the open items to into Excel sheet.

Do we have to create offsetting accounts like.

GL uplaod Offsetting A/C

Vendor upload Offsetting A/C

Customer upload Offsetting A/C

Again, it's a business questions. They can use offsetting GL, or they can also post inter-company transfer. All you need is XL from them. Business has to comply the standards, and they know their practice pretty well.  You are there to help them from SAP perspective, and try to fit their business process in system.

After conformation from business user. do we have to upload through LSMW or BDC? i am not sure how to use both of them. I have done some research on LSMW is for master data transfer and BDC is for Transactional data transfer? is that right. how can we find weather do we have some existing BDC avaiable in system

LSMW can be used for BOTH master + transaction data. For BDC, you'll need developer whereas LSMW you can perform yourself, provided you know the steps. If not, then pl.refer

maybe this is a silly question, just want to clear my self. once we transfer the data from CC xxx2 to xxx1 through LSMW or BDC.Does that data will delete automatically from the xxx2. if not then what is a mean by clearing company code. in SAP transactional data will not be delete in any case. right?

Transaction data will NOT be deleted from SAP from xxx2. It'll be there for records. This poses a question to your business, do they not want to retain business data for certain years as per statutory requirements? If they want to retain, and check reports in future, then you simply have to lock the master data for future posting.

Business requirement is clear the company code but if they want to see the financial report for xxx2 company code, business may be able to see it.

Pl.refer above reply.

Do have some documentation or any guildline for LSMW or BDC? which i can use in QA client for data upload. please send me at my email address: nasrnnit@gmail.com

Replied above.

Nirav, you mentioned in AP/AR, about the posting key, can you please ellobrate this little more if you don't mind? we do have reconciliaition A/C's for AP/AR. can we use same account.

Go to F-02 and click F4 to display a list of posting keys, for eg. '07' is customer Dr. and '14', Customer Cr. Your business should provide a spreadsheet of open items with Dr, and Cr. entries, whether they want to transfer just total outstanding amount or invoice-wise item. It all depends on their business practice. As mentioned in pr. reply, you can't post directly to recon. GL of AR/AP. I mean there are workarounds available, but you don't want to fall into at this stage. Go through a standard route.

Thanks,

Nirav

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Nirav,

My company want to use same profit center to another company code? can this be done?how will this affect the existing cost center on the old company code? Also is there a way to transfer history FI data to another company code?

Thanks

Irma

Private_Member_10672
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi,

You can use same PC for more than one Co.code. Go to KE52 and look at Company code tab for assignment of PC to CCode.

Cost center can be assigned to only one CCode, however you can default the same PC in many cost centers (KS02). So for eg. Cost Center X & Y assigned to Co.code 1000 & 2000 respectively, you can still assign the same profit center in both of the CC master data.

When you say history FI data to another co.code, can you please elaborate? Is old co.code closing and migrating to a new one, and what types of data you're planning to transfer like vendor, customer, GL, and types of transaction data ?

There are copy control methods by which you can copy master data to a new co.code, and also balances. Many of them are explained in my replies to original thread.

Thanks,

Nirav

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Nirav,

Thank you for responding to my inquiry. I have tried to extend existing PC to another company code but the system shows an error 'cost center XXXX is assigned to profit center YYYY. Process terminated'. It seems that when the current PC is active in current year, you cannot change the

PC master data. Also,to change the validity period in the PC master data in order to deactivate the current ccode and activate the other ccode, is also restricted to only can do end of year change.

Correct me if i am wrong with this presumption.

On the balance transfer, is there a way to transfer ending balances from current company code to another company code internally in the system, without extracting in text files and uploading again?

In our situation both company codes will still stay active, we only want to move PC from current company code to another company code.

Thanks, Irma

Private_Member_10672
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Irma,

You can restrict the validity of PC to any future date, but system looks for any assignment like material etc.to make sure it's not used anywhere. Please read the message of 'shorten PC validity period' displayed while trying to do that. The recommended approach to deal with it at year end.

On balance transfer between co.codes w/o extracting text files, you can achieve it through F-02 or FB50. Just try for couple of Gls in Dev, and get yourself satisfied. I'm sure it'll work.

Thanks,

Nirav

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Nirav,

Thanks for the support - I will certainly try those transactions in Dev - is this something only

to be done at year end or not?

Private_Member_10672
Active Participant
0 Kudos

No problem. Since, both co. code are valid and operational, I don't see any problem of transfering balances of few Gls to new one at your convenience. Inter-co JVs are normal business scenarios. Here's you're transfering the end balance to another co.code, which is fine. You don't need to wait till year end.

Thanks,

Nirav

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Gurus

one more question, if we have to create the validation to stop posting. how we will create in GGB0.

what kind of steps we have to mention?

please share you input. ASAP.

Regards.