Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SHADOW_IMPORT_INC phase very slow

former_member184544
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Experts,

We are performing an update from EHP4 to EHP7. We find that the SHADOW_IMPORT_INC is long running . One support pack is taking 9 hours the same support pack took 40 mins in the last run .We are running on AIX/DB2 .

We also recently implemented the note 1019242.All other phases before this were taking the same time.Any ideas ?

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (4)

Answers (4)

0 Kudos

Hi Vasu,

I am having the same problem. I am now doing ehp 6 update on my production system and i find that the time it takes on production is significantly longer than in my development system.

My dev system is running as a vm with 40 GB ram and 4 cpu while my production has 128 GB ram and more CPUs. On dev system, i use the default settings in SUM but on production, i set every thing to twice the number.

I can see that during SHADOW_IMPORT_INC, the number of r3trans is more, but when i compare the time it takes for each of the support packages, it takes more time than it uses in my dev system.

I am confident that CPU and memory is not the issue, and it might be bottleneck on disk IO

former_member184544
Participant
0 Kudos

It is only due to the Growing DB Size as the tables on which these imports are performed grow it takes longer time increasing the no of parallel process will bring down the uptime given the tradeoff of a heavier load on CPU/Memory .

former_member188883
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Vasu,

How many R3trans processes have been defined during the upgrade input phase ?

Are you using resource minimized approach ??

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Deepak Kori

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Please go through..

1919276 - Performance issues when running a SAP Upgrade

http://scn.sap.com/community/enhancement-packages/blog/2012/03/28/sapadmin-ehp-technical-checklist-b...

Regards

Maruthi V

former_member182657
Active Contributor
0 Kudos
former_member184544
Participant
0 Kudos

R3trans -12 during uptime/16 in downtime

45gb ram

6 cpu core CPU speed 3000mhz

Last time R3 trans was 8 processes..We did restore and then started the upgrade from scratch when we reach this shadow_import_inc it is very slow same sp is taking 9hours when it took 40 mins last time.

We are also seeing lot of lock waits with R3trans at db level

former_member188883
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Vasu,

1) Is your upgrade directory on a NFS mounted file system ?

2) Check db2diag.log and upgrade logs for more details on the db updates during this phase

Regards,

Deepak Kori

Reagan
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

What version of SUM are you using ?

Bear in mind the recently released SUM version 10 has bugs.

Use SUM version 9

Regards

RB

former_member182657
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

Please share hardware as well as current RAM status,this phase completely based on hardware & memory customizations.So request to take rest for successful completion of this phase.

Thanks,

Gaurav