Application Development Discussions
Join the discussions or start your own on all things application development, including tools and APIs, programming models, and keeping your skills sharp.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How ADBC connection is benefits by using SAP HANA as secondary database ?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I have one more important question.

How ADBC connection is benefits by using SAP HANA as secondary database in terms of performance wise for the access of data from HANA database as a secondary database.

I have 2 options and which is better for the good performance for accessing the data-

1 .  In ABAP Reports in the SELECT statements by using CONNECTION (“HDB”) will this improve the
     performance.
      e.g : select * from BSEG into TABLE IT_TAB CONNECTION (“HDB”).

2. Will Create the Stored procedure in HANA studio and Call
   from ABAP as below by using NATIVE SQL–

EXEC SQL

SET CONNECTION (‘HDB’).

ENDEXEC.

EXEC SQL.

EXECUTE PROCEDURE proc (IN    p_in1                       
                             OUT   p_out1   OUT   p_out2 )

ENDEXEC.

Regards,
Pravin

Message was edited by: Jens Weiler Branched from http://scn.sap.com/thread/3498161

1 REPLY 1

jasmin_gruschke
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Hi Pravin,

Option 1: In this case ADBC might even worsen the performance due to the overhead in the ADBC framework. OpenSQL is the method to go here, as OpenSQL - from the ABAP point of view - features the optimal communication with the database while ADBC has overhead like constructor-calls for the statement, parameter binding, etc.

Option 2: In this case ADBC is comparable with EXEC SQL but features more options, e.g. clean concept of multiple connection (connection objects via CL_SQL_CONNECTION), exception handling, etc. So I strongly propose to favour ADBC over EXEC SQL, but not simply for performance reasons. You might have a look at the ABAP Language Help in your system on more information on ADBC and the advantages over Exec SQL.

Cheers,

Jasmin